Whats your' latest gear acquisition?

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Partscaster wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:53 pm Just put GFS Earl Slick 56 pickup set in a last partscaster build.. 79$ shipped.
Once heights were adjusted to my liking, there are strong piano notes ringing in big open sound. Some sustained notes really do sound just like a piano note.
They are wound with 43awg formvar to 6.0, 6.4, and to 6.7. They must have a lot of henries as they sound so big and strong. And these wind resistance's would equate to lower 5k ohms if same wind amount was in 42 awg. These are non-staggered...first flat strat set like that for me, I think I like the flat poles in this 7.25 radius strat with these pups a lot.

DSCN2419.jpeg
I'm not sure of what I'm looking at and am unsure if this was meant to be tounge-in-cheek
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Partscaster
Reactions:

No tounged cheeks. I had just installed that pickup set ( 79$). Its called Earl Slick 56' set from GFS. Its a very good inexpensive set that sounds very open with piano-like tones. Best sub 200$ set I've tried.
Pic is of the last partscaster, and has that pup set. The set is "aged" at factory. Pole pieces are flat, not staggered.
Simon is there as a model, like hot chicks on Price is Right. Cheeks full of tongues.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
aullucci
Reactions:

littlebadboy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:38 pm I got myself a new Zoom MS70CDR for nice soundscapes.

It's really nice! However, I think I'm returning it. It may be a redundant gear. I put it in the fx loop of my modeler. But, I think my modeler can do the same thing.

I've been looking at that zoom, too - I tend to collect drive pedals and it'd be nice to have some more time and mod options.. The reviews on the sounds are great. Love to hear your thoughts...
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

aullucci wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:06 am
littlebadboy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:38 pm I got myself a new Zoom MS70CDR for nice soundscapes.
It's really nice! However, I think I'm returning it. It may be a redundant gear. I put it in the fx loop of my modeler. But, I think my modeler can do the same thing.
Roscoe wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:37 pm I had a good holiday... first, my wife got me a Kawai EP3 Digital Piano (from a music store closing), then I figured with the year we had, I'd do something nice for myself (wife approved, btw!) and bought a 2020 Gibson LP Classic in my favorite color.
@littlebadboy that Head Eush is really nice and I'd say the Zoom is as well I bought the MS-50G a few months ago and really like it but I can sure understand having to many things that do similar stuff probably affects a lot of folks around here one of the pitfalls of a "GearJunky".
cjegXYN[1].jpg
cjegXYN[1].jpg (12.64 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
@Roscoe I worked with a keyboard player back in the 80's or maybe 90's anyway he had a Kawai it was the first time I had ever heard of the brand but man did that thing rock excellent instrument.
Roscoe
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:16 pm
The common theme here is that you seem to have a great wife! I don't know much about pianos, but that LP Classic looks fantastic in that color with the Zebra pickups.
She's fantastic, definitely! She even drove an hour away and waited outside when the store opened since she was afraid it would sell - the EP3 was a CL ad. Those things were $1,500 new and they let it go for $150 with the stand! She knew I wanted a full size keyboard since all my piano playing on recordings was done with a 49 key midi controller and she hit it on the nose, not even knowing the kind of deal she got. She was worried it was a toy until she tried to lift it... ;)

The story behind the LP .... I realized that 2020 was 40 years exactly since I got my very first guitar. In 1980 my parents bought me a 1980 Vantage Spirit (a Japanese LP copy) for Christmas that I still have and play. A Gibson LP was one of my bucket list guitars so I figured after 40 years of waiting along with the fact I'd sure like to look back on 2020 and have SOMETHING good to remember it by, well... ;)
golem
Reactions:

Picked up this guitar (possibly this exact guitar but they don't list the serial number in the video):

It's got Bare Knuckle Ragnarok pickups in currently which are great but I'm tempted to see if @andrewsrea will help me get it back to stock. Although if I really want it truly stock I'll have to get a kill switch. It looks like those Ragnaroks are going for over $200 used so it may just make more sense to sell them and treat as a discount on the guitar.
voodoorat
Reactions:

i got one of these things
image.png
(folded space micro room silent cabinet).
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

golem wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:40 pm Picked up this guitar (possibly this exact guitar but they don't list the serial number in the video):

It's got Bare Knuckle Ragnarok pickups in currently which are great but I'm tempted to see if @andrewsrea will help me get it back to stock. Although if I really want it truly stock I'll have to get a kill switch. It looks like those Ragnaroks are going for over $200 used so it may just make more sense to sell them and treat as a discount on the guitar.
After just swapping the Ragnaroks out to install the Jazz neck and '78 bdirge, I can say I really liked the Duncan's better in this guitar. Which is very sweet.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
golem
Reactions:

Thanks for the help @andrewsrea.
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

Very nice @golem
glasshand
Reactions:

Thanks to a gift certificate and a recent trade. I haven't used a Rat in ages and ages, since I was in my college band. And to be honest, I didn't like it then, but then again I was running it into a small solid-state Peavey that was already distorted as hell. But the other guitarist in my band has one and likes it, so I figured what the hey, I'll give it another try. I spent about ten minutes trying it out with my little quarter-watt tube amp, and so far I like it a lot. The Dyna Comp I haven't had a chance to test at all yet! I have an Earthquaker Devices Warden, which I love but six knobs is a bit much sometimes, so I thought I'd give the Dyna Comp a shot. I'm especially planning on trying the trick of putting it in the effects loop.
rat_and_dynacomp.jpg
mkgearhead
Reactions:

I just picked up this Hamer XT Series Standard F/T today.
2E446C52-6B2D-475F-A826-C16A9E2D1244.jpeg
jtcnj
Reactions:

1st Gibson
Dunno why photo rotated.

And Well-Hung Dragon Eye strap from Endorser raffle.
Thanks, Brad!
20210131_120709.jpg
20210131_120722.jpg
20210121_175217.jpg
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
AnotherJim
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile 3010 SE, Epiphone LP Studio, Fender MIM Strat and Tele, Squier Stagemaster, Squier Standard, Peavey Rotor, Samick Arts SG

PRS SE Santana
Attachments
16ED4597-B024-436D-B8C5-D9CA56B9311A.jpeg
glasshand
Reactions:

glasshand wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:07 pmThe Dyna Comp I haven't had a chance to test at all yet! I have an Earthquaker Devices Warden, which I love but six knobs is a bit much sometimes, so I thought I'd give the Dyna Comp a shot. I'm especially planning on trying the trick of putting it in the effects loop.

rat_and_dynacomp.jpg
Following up on this... No question that the Dyna Comp is way "squishier" than the Warden. I think you can adjust the Warden to have a Dyna-like effect, but they are rather different beasts; the Warden wants to be a subtle, tweakable device, and the Dyna Comp wants to step all over your sound (in a good way, but definitely in a distinctive way). Trying to tweak the Warden to sound like the Dyna Comp has actually taught me a lot about what all the knobs do!

The Dyna Comp is almost not ideal for bass, IMO, because just about everything is over its threshold (at least with my heavy-handed playing) unless it's more or less at minimum. It also does not seem to like being in the loop (line level vs instrument level, I guess?) which the Warden does. But, lest this review sound too negative, it's also a lot easier to dial in!
ILuvTeles
Reactions:

IYV IP-300 via Amazon
IYV IP-300 front.jpg
honyock
Reactions:

Got this on my work trip, stuffed it in my carry on...

It is like new, plan to mod it like I did my last, except no transformer upgrade since that made it way to loud for home use.

They had a fully modded one too, but the fun of these is doing the mods for me. Image
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Flatline
Reactions:

I had been looking at Reverb pedals for a long time and had decided I was going to wait on a deal for an Oceans 11. So for less than half the price I took a gamble and picked up a FLAMMA FS02 Reverb Pedal on Amazon.

I haven't had much time to play with it yet but first impressions are good. I'm able to get a good variety usable reverb that sounds good in my setup. It doesn't take a battery and does require at least a 300ma power supply. Most of the negative comments in the Amazon reviews are from people that don't realize that prior to purchase.

LancerTheGreat
Reactions:
Gearlist: -Guitars-
Gibson Dave Mustaine Flying V EXP
ESP LTD DV8R Dave Mustaine Signature Model
ESP LTD V401DX
Agile AL3100
Kit Explorer
Jackson JS32RR
TWANG Tele
Samick Strat
Firefly Semi-Hollow Tele
Globe Dove Copy

-Amps-
Orange OR-15 (Head)
EVH 112 (Cabinet)
Bugera 1960 Infinium (Head)
Bugera 412 (Cabinet)
Peavey VTX Classic 212 (Combo)
Laney Mini-ST Lionheart Practice Amp

honyock wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:55 pm Got this on my work trip, stuffed it in my carry on...

It is like new, plan to mod it like I did my last, except no transformer upgrade since that made it way to loud for home use.

They had a fully modded one too, but the fun of these is doing the mods for me. Image
These and telecasters always make me think of TWANG.
~Formerly LookingDownTheCross~
honyock
Reactions:

LancerTheGreat wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:04 pm
honyock wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:55 pm Got this on my work trip, stuffed it in my carry on...

These and telecasters always make me think of TWANG.
I wish I had kept my posts from the old site about these. He had given some great modding advice that I can't remember
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
zisme
Reactions:

well lol. this thing is a beast...

Gator G-Tour ATA Tour Case for 2 x 12" Combo Amplifiers

new ride for my twin
20210203_153021.jpg
20210203_182012.jpg
frogs love to eat flies,
the devil's name, Beelzebub, lord of the flies
evil spirits love to spiritually feed upon those whom Beelzebub rules

joined AGF March 20, 2013
mighty_duck
Reactions:

mkgearhead wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:06 am I just picked up this Hamer XT Series Standard F/T today.

I was looking at getting one of those.
How do you like the neck on it? Is it thin or beefy?
mighty_duck
Reactions:

ILuvTeles wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:48 pm IYV IP-300 via Amazon

IYV IP-300 front.jpg
Looks like they improved the inlay work a lot since I got my pair. How much does it weigh?
mkgearhead
Reactions:

mighty_duck wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:13 pm
mkgearhead wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:06 am I just picked up this Hamer XT Series Standard F/T today.

I was looking at getting one of those.
How do you like the neck on it? Is it thin or beefy?

I’d call it a medium profile. It’s not chunky but it’s not super thin either.
LancerTheGreat
Reactions:
Gearlist: -Guitars-
Gibson Dave Mustaine Flying V EXP
ESP LTD DV8R Dave Mustaine Signature Model
ESP LTD V401DX
Agile AL3100
Kit Explorer
Jackson JS32RR
TWANG Tele
Samick Strat
Firefly Semi-Hollow Tele
Globe Dove Copy

-Amps-
Orange OR-15 (Head)
EVH 112 (Cabinet)
Bugera 1960 Infinium (Head)
Bugera 412 (Cabinet)
Peavey VTX Classic 212 (Combo)
Laney Mini-ST Lionheart Practice Amp

@honyock I wonder if the waybackmachine might have a decent archive of the old board. I'll check when I get back from taking the lady to work.
~Formerly LookingDownTheCross~