NBD: Rickenbacker 4003W

Discussions about all things "Bass".
glasshand
Reactions:

This was an odd one - I wasn't on the lookout at all, really, but I was browsing local listings, and I happened to come across a guy who had a 2017 Rickenbacker 4003W, which is the walnut model. And he wasn't looking to sell: he specifically wanted to trade for a Jetglo. And I had a 2005 Jetglo 4003, and TBH I was not totally bonding with it. So I said what the hey, if he wants to trade straight across...either I like the 4003W better than the Jetglo, or I can sell it for at least as much as I could have sold the Jetglo for.

I think I like the 4003W better. :mrgreen:
PXL_20240710_141521488~2.jpg
The 4003W is distinctly lighter, between the switch from maple to walnut for the body and the lack of finish.

It's kind of weird to see the continued little tweaks that Rickenbacker makes to the model, too. At some point between 2005 and 2017 they changed the shape of the inlays (why? who knows?) and made one of the knobs a push-pull knob that changes the character. I think at some point post-2017 they changed the bridge, too.
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

WIN!

Sweet trade, sweet bass!
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
golem
Reactions:

Killer bass!

I still have PTSD from trading my Ric bass away.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

First, you cannot go wrong with a Rik bass. Second, WOW!!! Just WOW!! That is gorgeous.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
jhull54
Reactions:

That's a peach. I got the opportunity to play a Ric many years ago, and it was the only time I ever played one. I was afraid the tone would be clanky and Chris Squire-ish, but it sat in the mix pretty well, and sounded great. Was surprised at how light it was. Ric's always looked "heavy" to me. Not the case. HNBD!
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Awesome bass you have there. My wife still gets onto my for selling my two Ric guitars.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
Abe
Reactions:
Gearlist: Breedlove Organic Solo Pro Concert CE Nylon
Taylor 514ce V-class Acoustic
PRS SE Hollowbody II Electric
Ibanez TS9/808 AnalogMan Silver Mod Tube Screamer
AnalogMan Bi-Comprossor
Morley 20/20 Wah Lock Wah Pedal
Boomerang Looper
Guitar Rig 7 on PC

A lot of Rickenbacker in my family. My Dad still has his sunburst 12 string Rick. I think he was influenced to get one by John Lennon.
∞ ✡ ∵ ✞ ☯ ॐ ☮ ღ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ © $ ∴ ✡ ∞