Remembering the glory days. Rondo and Douglas.

peskypesky1
Reactions:
Gearlist: Squier SQ series Strat
Squier CV Strat
SX Hawk
Epiphone Dot
Squier Bullet
Douglas WNO-650BR

So I took a break from my Strats tonight and have been playing my Douglas WNO-650BR...and once again, I am just blown away by how great this guitar is. It looks beautiful, plays great and sounds KILLER. So glad I got one of these when I had the chance.

https://www.rondomusic.com/product724.html

It's truly sad what happened with Rondo.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Should old acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind ?

It's a seven and eight string world now my friend, headless monstrosities more suited to use as ironing boards in a Chinese laundry rather than semi hollows with class and finesse. All of us old geezers put out to pasture with our Strats, Teles and 335 clones.
mickey
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 3:00 am Should old acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind ?

It's a seven and eight string world now my friend, headless monstrosities more suited to use as ironing boards in a Chinese laundry rather than semi hollows with class and finesse. All of us old geezers put out to pasture with our Strats, Teles and 335 clones.
Amen!
Gandalf the Intonationer
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 5:53 am
Tonray's Ghost wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 3:00 am Should old acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind ?

Amen!
And don't even get me started on 'silent' guitars..
peskypesky1
Reactions:
Squier CV Strat
SX Hawk
Epiphone Dot
Squier Bullet
Douglas WNO-650BR

Lol.

But in all seriousness, MOST of the kids are still playing 6-strings with headstocks. And Fenders are the ones I see most often. Lots of Strats, Teles and Jazzmasters still being played by the youngsters. I rarely see a Les Paul or ES335. Sometimes you'll see an SG. Oh, and the P-bass is by far the bass I see the most often being played in young bands.

I stay up with the kids by watching KEXP's great Youtibe channel. Here's an example:
peskypesky1
Reactions:
Squier CV Strat
SX Hawk
Epiphone Dot
Squier Bullet
Douglas WNO-650BR

here's another young band, all with Fenders

mickey
Reactions:

More to my tastes (the blonde too!) :D

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/tiXKNhn3l7s
Gandalf the Intonationer
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 3:47 pm More to my tastes (the blonde too!) :D

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/tiXKNhn3l7s
Yup..Chet was right..all the action above the 5th fret,hubba hubba
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

You have good taste Mickey and the music was not bad either. :twisted:
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
ILuvTeles
Reactions:

The digression of the thread to good looking females also reminds me of AGF glory days
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

ILuvTeles wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:49 am The digression of the thread to good looking females also reminds me of AGF glory days
Many years ago when I got my first Dot Matrix Printer, I printed up a 'mock' newsletter as a joke called 'Chicks, Guitars, and Cars'. They just seem to go together well.
idiotsdelight
Reactions:

Wish it was possible to clip it on my phone. @53s.

Fuck, it's taken me 10 minutes to find the vid share icon. It's like pulling teeth to post anywhere anymore.
[
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

idiotsdelight wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:21 am Wish it was possible to clip it on my phone. @53s.

Fuck, it's taken me 10 minutes to find the vid share icon. It's like pulling teeth to post anywhere anymore.
[
Agile as820 12 string for one of those clips. Cool
TVvoodoo
Reactions:

I fondly remember the frehetic B-stock scrambles, good ol' Rick in PA and a bunch of other kooky characters ... I think it's been over two years since I browsed Rondo
Endless source of eye-rolling dad jokes, aspiring empty-nester, custom strap-maker https://reverb.com/ca/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories
dabbler
Reactions:

TVvoodoo wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:02 am I fondly remember the frehetic B-stock scrambles, good ol' Rick in PA and a bunch of other kooky characters ... I think it's been over two years since I browsed Rondo
Hey! Who you callin' kooky?!? 😂
IMGP2723a.jpg
toomanycats
Reactions:

I purchased this Douglas Gravity P90 from Rondo around 2016.

https://www.rondomusic.com/gravityntfmp3ts1.html

I couldn't bond with the profile of the thin C neck, so I replaced it with one from a Squier SE that had more heft. The action on this guitar is about the best of any that I own.

The body isn't encased in a thick carapace of polyurethane armor, as are most Asian import guitars, but seems to be coated in a thin layer of enamel that allows it to breathe and resonate.

I spent an inordinate amount of time testing magnet combinations in those P90s, letting both my ears and the feel under my fingers guide me. I finally settled upon a mix of ceramic and ALNiCo. The result is a semi hollow Tele that sounds eerily similar to my buddy's Gibson Custom Shop Warren Haynes signature model 335.

I've played enough gigs with this Douglas/Squier hybrid that it's payed for itself 100X over. I can't even remember how many people have offered to buy it from me, both in person and online. Given its lowly pedigree as the bastard child of a Douglas and a Squier, assembled by an amateur luthier (Moi), I could never hope to recoup, in monetary terms, what this guitar delivers in playability and tone. But that's a moot point, as it's not for sale.

fullsizeoutput_1f8.jpeg
thumbnail-12 copy.jpeg

Notice how my Gibson B.B. King Lucille is "sitting on the bench" while I play the Douglas.
fullsizeoutput_de3.jpeg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer