Squire ‘51 Build

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
lauramarie1024
Reactions:

This has become my favorite player. I bought the guitar dead stock a couple of years ago, and since I have changed out everything except the body and pick guard. The original neck was maple, but a bit too chunky for me, so I replaced with a rosewood soft V neck I had on a tele. The pickups are a hot rail in the neck position that can be split by the switch I added. Warm and full when in the bucker position, and a quacky single coil sound when split. The bridge pup is a Artec vintage toaster that is split by the original combination volume and pull out switch. This thing is a screamer, and plays like butter! Image
tobijohn
Reactions:

With a single coil in the neck position and a humbucker in the bridge position, what value pots did you go with, 250K or 500K?
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
lauramarie1024
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote:With a single coil in the neck position and a humbucker in the bridge position, what value pots did you go with, 250K or 500K?
The stock volume control with the switch is 250k.. there is no tone. The other knob is a 3way selector switch which is also stock.
tobijohn
Reactions:

lauramarie1024 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:02 pm
The stock volume control with the switch is 250k.. there is no tone. The other knob is a 3way selector switch which is also stock.
I initially missed that the neck was a rail. So neither are dark with 250K pots. I've got a Sawtooth Tele with GFS Little Punchers and 250K pots. It sounds fine to me, but I was going to replace the 250k pots with 500ks. Maybe I won't bother...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
rrobbone
Reactions:

I think it's an unwritten law that makes it illegal to own a perfectly stock Squier '51.

Mine is my favorite player, too. I'd have one in every color if they hadn't gone up in price so much on the used market.
"What is this place? Where am I?"
yesca
Reactions:

Has that one of a kind look. Sharp fiddle.
AnotherJim
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile 3010 SE, Epiphone LP Studio, Fender MIM Strat and Tele, Squier Stagemaster, Squier Standard, Peavey Rotor, Samick Arts SG

I had one of the 51s that was stock and it punched way above it ‘s weight. I like your upgrades.!
Partscaster
Reactions:

That looks great. Not being much of a tele guy, I hadn't been very aware that there was a 51 fender.
I now see the 49 tele prototype.
I'd been fixated by strats, and the 54 model's commercial beginnings.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
lauramarie1024
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote:That looks great. Not being much of a tele guy, I hadn't been very aware that there was a 51 fender.
What I like about the ‘51 is that it is really a cross between a strat and tele. It is also a bit lighter and thinner than a standard strat and tele.
Partscaster
Reactions:

lauramarie1024 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:04 pm
Partscaster wrote:That looks great. Not being much of a tele guy, I hadn't been very aware that there was a 51 fender.
What I like about the ‘51 is that it is really a cross between a strat and tele.
That is really cool. I looked at the pickups, bridge, and controls, thought tele, and the double cutaway didnt even register as something unusual.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Nice musician's guitar!

Wasn't that from a Fender series that was kind of like 'reimagined history' around the 2005 era?
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
lauramarie1024
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote:Nice musician's guitar!

Wasn't that from a Fender series that was kind of like 'reimagined history' around the 2005 era?
Actually, this started out as an original design from Squier in 2003 for around $149 then they had a second run of them in 2011 for $199 then Fender copied the design in 2013 with their Pawnshop series and charged nearly $1000 for them. Mine is from 2004 and I bought it a couple of years ago in the box mint for $200. Since that time I have done all the mods.
lauramarie1024
Reactions:

Here is a nice one already upgraded with SD pups and WD neck on Reverb.

https://reverb.com/item/38725052-squier ... t=38725052
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

Great looking guitar I bet it sounds great too. I've always gravitated toward singlecuts with humbuckers and all though I've owned a few Fenders I've never really been much of a Fender guy. I do know some music just demands a Strat sound be involved so I have a SX strat I rebuilt and used Fender Tex-Mex pups.
I don't remember this model but for me it's a very interesting guitar strat body tele electronics configuration with upgraded pups. WOW !!! I liked it well enough to look for one and the least expensive one on Reverb and it is listed at $295/W$45 shipping so at that price I will never experience one.

THIS IS THE LINK https://reverb.com/item/48266760-squier ... ender-1951
lauramarie1024
Reactions:

redman wrote:Great looking guitar I bet it sounds great too. I've always gravitated toward singlecuts with humbuckers and all though I've owned a few Fenders I've never really been much of a Fender guy. I do know some music just demands a Strat sound be involved so I have a SX strat I rebuilt and used Fender Tex-Mex pups.
I don't remember this model but for me it's a very interesting guitar strat body tele electronics configuration with upgraded pups. WOW !!! I liked it well enough to look for one and the least expensive one on Reverb and it is listed at $295/W$45 shipping so at that price I will never experience one.

THIS IS THE LINK https://reverb.com/item/48266760-squier ... ender-1951
Yes, the prices have sky rocketed on Reverb on these guitars lately. I’m glad I was able to pickup one when I could. I will not let mine go!
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

lauramarie1024 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:15 pm
andrewsrea wrote:Nice musician's guitar!

Actually, this started out as an original design from Squier in 2003 for around $149 then they had a second run of them in 2011 for $199 then Fender copied the design in 2013 with their Pawnshop series and charged nearly $1000 for them. Mine is from 2004 and I bought it a couple of years ago in the box mint for $200. Since that time I have done all the mods.
Exactly - the Pawnshop series! It is nice that you got a player for the fraction of the price!
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
jtcnj
Reactions:

Nice!!
I like it. There was one listed locally here at a good price awhile back I considered, but passed.
Shoulda grabbed it.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
peskypesky
Reactions:

I've wanted a '51 for years. I love how they look.
Banned by Momo
Tiga
Reactions:

Great '51 you have. I picked up one new for like $90 in 2005 when they were being blown out. If I knew then what I know now I would have bought several. I think mine will always be with me. Had a bone nut cut for it and changed the bridge to an 'upgrade' one that GFS used to sell. It plays like a dream. Lately I've been giving some thought to more upgrades - thinking of a mint green or cream pickguard and something like a little '59 in the neck.

I'm with you I like the slimmer body - lighter and more comfortable to play. At some point I'd like to get a butterscotch blonde model. Thanks for sharing yours.
Tiga
Reactions:

Here's a pic of mine.
Squier '51 and Jazzmaster.jpg
lauramarie1024
Reactions:

Tiga wrote:Here's a pic of mine.
Squier '51 and Jazzmaster.jpg
Yep.. that’s the way mine started out. Totally stock.