Whats on your work bench?

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
Partscaster
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:41 pm
Partscaster wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:39 pm I am in the middle of a guitar experiment.
I just finished a strat build while keeping the body "unfinished". The allparts sro-62 neck has a tru oil finish.
I thought i would test how an unfinished strat body sounds. It is a paint grade alder body, 4 full length pieces ( plus a thin sliver on one bout, so technically 5 -piece)
It should remain fairly stable against humidity with the 4 pieces.

Anyhow,....it is my liveliest sounding strat, plugged in, and very full unplugged. I have some identical, and comparable pickup models to test against.
I'm gonna get another unfinished body for a further build test.
I could be swapping out a few poly finished bodies for raw.

DSCN2739.jpegDSCN2738.jpeg
That is one cool pickguard!
Got that from some parts seller guy in Nova Scotia.

Goes well with the "raw" mottif.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

My latest pedal build. Still need to come up with graphics, naming and labeling.

It is a modified Wampler Euphoria, which is a brilliantly modified Timmy. This is quickly becoming my favorite pedal. I can get more sounds out of this than any I've owned. Mission accomplished!

20210820_163638.jpg
20210820_144525.jpg
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Sinster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Many Les Pauls, Couple of Tele's and Strats, a PRS, a EVH Woflgang, a Bass, and Epi Acoustic. Egnater Rebel 20, Tubemeister 18.

Finished another pedal based on EQD Monarch Overdrive. It's the Viceroy Overdrive (*Boneyard Edition).

I went the lazy route this time with graphics. I originally wanted to call it Taste the Juice based on a Howard Stern Drop. I kind of kept it, but went with GIN....
Drop Here

PCB here
https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/pcb386/

*Boneyard is a PedalPCB member who modifies different circuits.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Sinster wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:55 pm Finished another pedal based on EQD Monarch Overdrive. It's the Viceroy Overdrive (*Boneyard Edition).

I went the lazy route this time with graphics. I originally wanted to call it Taste the Juice based on a Howard Stern Drop. I kind of kept it, but went with GIN....
Drop Here

PCB here
https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/pcb386/

*Boneyard is a PedalPCB member who modifies different circuits.
\

^ Love the graphics. Jfet make a nice overdrive. Sound good?
Sinster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Many Les Pauls, Couple of Tele's and Strats, a PRS, a EVH Woflgang, a Bass, and Epi Acoustic. Egnater Rebel 20, Tubemeister 18.

To be honest with you I really don't know how a JFET effects the circuit.

To answer you question, I think it sounds great.
andrewsrea
Reactions:

On a pedal building binge! This one is my take on a Nobels ODR-1, reusing a defunct Dean Markley 'Overlord' housing.

For those who don't know the ODR-1, it is a full-range symmetrical soft-clip stage (like a Timmy) which goes into a symmetrical hard-clip stage (very close to an OCD), which goes into an active tone which cuts or boosts both treble and bass at the same time.

My mods were adding a bass control, adding a boost at 720Hz and making the hard-clipping a bit asymmetrical. The last mod gives different harmonics and growl. ODR-1's have a lot of bass and the control lets you tighten up the sound. Nobels has a full-range boost on one of their models and I decided to do a boost that made it slightly mid-forward.

So I can get a standard ODR-1 you see on videos, a modified Marshall sound and a modified Vox AC30 sound. So this is a real nice companion to the pedal I built a couple of posts back, which does the Dumble / Blackface thing.
AMI ODR-1.jpg
glasshand
Reactions:

I finally got my VHT Special 6 put back together. A while ago I had this crazy idea that I was going to add another gain stage, but I don't really have the workspace for that and I realized my efforts could be better used for other things. I mean, if you really want another gain stage, the easiest thing is to put a pedal in front of the amp. But what I might do is add bias switching for running it with an EL34, and making the volume boost adjustable. I love the fact that it has a volume boost, but in stock form the boost is ridiculously large. Fortunately, adjusting the amount of boost should be as simple as changing one resistor, or even better replacing it with a pot.
glasshand
Reactions:

I took off the bridge from the Harmony Monterey I bought, to see if it could be repaired, but I think this one's a writeoff. Someone more skilled and patient than me could maybe do it, but I think my best bet is to put these pieces in a baggie and keep them with the guitar while I shop for a replacement bridge.
PXL_20210830_182234167.jpg
mickey
Reactions:

@glasshand
I'd go with a "floating" T.O.M. bridge if I were you. That is what I put on the SX in my avatar.
Come to think of it, PM me your mailing address and I could mail you the one I took off my SX.
Gandalf the Intonationer
bc rich
Reactions:

Not exactly a work bench more like a work draw and gravity . rescued Greg Bennet with little to no neck relief with truss rod loosened . could take a while or never . Neck has scarf joint .
72426992513552JohI.jpg
DSCN1526 (3).JPG
voodoorat
Reactions:

so, right now there's a vox ac15c1 on my workbench but i'm waiting for a replacement pot so there it'll stay for a little while...

but i just did a different little project a few days ago.

so i traded a while back a fretless american jazz bass for an american p bass.

when i got it one thing that was odd was that it had no knobs. i bought some of the normal screw-tight metal knurled p-bass style knobs and put them on. in retrospect there was something odd: the pots were splined split shaft. i really didn't think about it again or have any issues until this last week--i replaced the pickguard with a spare my buddy had and when i did i noticed that the pots were little alpha pots, the tone cap was a green chicklet, and the volume pot was a 500k linear taper and the tone a 500k audio taper. the wiring was also kinda weird, different colored sleeves. i happened to have 2 spare 250k audio taper cts pots and a little fender branded bass disc capacitor handy so i rewired it a few days ago (i don't play bass that much anyway so i'll see if my buddy notices the difference tonally), and it seems a little cleaner (and the knobs go on right), but i'm really confused why it was that way to begin with. what did american standard p basses normally come wired with?
Partscaster
Reactions:

Burnt Siena Burst in the casting.
3 pc body, paint grade (cheaper as grain doesnt match) good enough for me.
Adjusted bridge cavity for reverse slant.
DSCN2752.JPG
DSCN2760.JPG
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
mickey
Reactions:

May be cheap, but I like it! :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
Partscaster
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:01 pm May be cheap, but I like it! :D
Thanks Mickey.
Recipe is Winston-Newton artist paints, linseed based. Lemon Yellow color everywhere, first. Then Burnt Sienna around edges.
Smudge, buff, and repeat. In a few days I'll start with some clear tru oil layers..probably 4-6. Just thick enough to keep any spilt beer from soaking in too fast.
Partscaster
Reactions:

And the other one,

This was supposed to be a 2 tone sunburst (yellow, black) that went south as too much turned blackish and green with yellow, as black was blue based. Anyhow...panic wipe off of what I could, and get burnt sienna in to the rescue.

I like it. Looks old, like antique furniture.
This is likely my last body build as I am sick of trying new pickups, and building them guitars.
Will get tru oiled in near future. Same as sienna burst. Allparts necks , soft -v w/ slab rosewood, small headstock, already tru oiled and ready to bolt.
DSCN2766.JPG
DSCN2765.JPG
and the two new ones side by each
DSCN2769.JPG
Partscaster
Reactions:

Finished assembling these two last partscasters, the Sienna-burst and Dracula-burst. My best finish results, IMO.
Still need to deepen nut slots, intonate and set-up bridge, and have raw-vintage springs coming.
But pretty much done.
Sienna has set of Chubtone-63's, and Dracula has a set of Klein 69's.
DSCN2815.JPG
DSCN2813.JPG
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I spent some time getting my Watson Wolfgang copy ready to sell. This may have been a failed effort because got-damn, that neck. So playable....

If I don't sell, anyone know of any inexpensive GOOD Alnico 5 zebra pickups that are a bit hot and Wolfgangish?
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
mozz
Reactions:

Monterey. It's the $35 homemade strat i pulled the emg's out of. Body does appear to be oak, many pieces, so i painted it, white at first, then a lightbulb appeared over my head. Found a place to order stickers, not perfect but way close enough for me. Have to finish sanding the neck and tru oil, have a parts caster i stole the neck for another project so i have a complete loaded pickguard with hand made pickups, just have to transfer over to the white guard. I know it's a hard tail but doesn't matter to me.
IMG_20211021_184625001_HDR.jpg
AGF refugee
Partscaster
Reactions:

I have 8 partscasters recently taken apart to try and better identify tonal results from tap testing and past combination tone. Taking notes. Bodies, necks, pickups. Total of eleven necks. I can make somewhat predictable adjustments to find more optimal combo's. Almost done.
DSCN2823.JPG
DSCN2827.JPG
mozz
Reactions:

Got most of the correct parts for the Vemuram Jan Ray (expensive Timmy), quantity of 10 being built for now. Also got a really good deal on 500 pieces of aluminum knobs in silver and black, don't know which i will use on these yet, or what color LED.
20211029_174632_resized.jpg
20211029_180024_resized.jpg
20211029_180301_resized.jpg
AGF refugee
rrobbone
Reactions:

Two Meteoras, two Teles, one Strat, and one Super Sonic. All cut out of blanks and ready for shaping tomorrow.
"What is this place? Where am I?"
Partscaster
Reactions:

Finished recombining pickups to bodies and neck swaps of my partscasters.

DSCN2831.JPG
ten vintage styled partscaster collection, cost less to build than a single Custom Shop Strat.

I had experienced how different pups can change a guitars tone. Made sense many years ago.

A few years ago I got more into buying raw bodies and necks for new strat builds and would try to pay attention to the bodies tapping sound and differences in final tone of the resulting guitar. I still had not ever tried to fine tune the mix with neck swaps, other than paying attention to general neck characteristics i.e., fretboard type, headstock type, and neck contour and thickness. I assumed that with same characteristics they'd be similar.

This last several weeks I had a dozen strat necks layed out. Started tapping and lining them up from darker tap to brighter. Combining them to different bodies and with swapping different pickup sets.

Current impression is generalities can hold true to a point, but individual differences vary alot.
Maple necks did seem to considerably brighten the mix relative to RW.
But one particular maple neck was darker than almost all the RW's. I'ld put it on a body and hear drastic darkening of whichever guitar's tone. And some RW's were much brighter than others.

I think 3 piece bodies with a fat center piece a good bit wider than the pup cavities, might more likely lead to a lively resonant body vs 2 or 3 pieces with seam running under pups.

Veneer RW vs Slab over maple, in varying contours, it was a mixed bag. It was more important to listen to the tap tone. My contours were all medium C to soft-V, starting anywhere from .82 to .88 roughly.

My one maple /maple fb cap neck is a warm maple neck, but not dark.
DSCN2835.JPG
DSCN2832.JPG
DSCN2834.JPG
DSCN2833.JPG
Anyway, now I have my fleet of single coil strats, too many of course, all which sound wonderfully big and open. Klein, Amalfitano, Chubtone, Fatpups.
Kleins are the most open, and I've tried many of their models. They vary in voicings from model to model, but all have the most big open quality. My 63 Chubtone set is open with thicker potential. Amalfitano set similar. Fatpups FatLittleWing set are less open than the others, but they'll cover up a body that might tend to not sound so good. And they're still fairly open compared to many other brands I've tried.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:15 am Finished recombining pickups to bodies and neck swaps of my partscasters.

DSCN2831.JPG

ten vintage styled partscaster collection, cost less to build than a single Custom Shop Strat.

I had experienced how different pups can change a guitars tone. Made sense many years ago.

A few years ago I got more into buying raw bodies and necks for new strat builds and would try to pay attention to the bodies tapping sound and differences in final tone of the resulting guitar. I still had not ever tried to fine tune the mix with neck swaps, other than paying attention to general neck characteristics i.e., fretboard type, headstock type, and neck contour and thickness. I assumed that with same characteristics they'd be similar.

This last several weeks I had a dozen strat necks layed out. Started tapping and lining them up from darker tap to brighter. Combining them to different bodies and with swapping different pickup sets.

Current impression is generalities can hold true to a point, but individual differences vary alot.
Maple necks did seem to considerably brighten the mix relative to RW.
But one particular maple neck was darker than almost all the RW's. I'ld put it on a body and hear drastic darkening of whichever guitar's tone. And some RW's were much brighter than others.

I think 3 piece bodies with a fat center piece a good bit wider than the pup cavities, might more likely lead to a lively resonant body vs 2 or 3 pieces with seam running under pups.

Veneer RW vs Slab over maple, in varying contours, it was a mixed bag. It was more important to listen to the tap tone. My contours were all medium C to soft-V, starting anywhere from .82 to .88 roughly.

My one maple /maple fb cap neck is a warm maple neck, but not dark.

DSCN2835.JPGDSCN2832.JPGDSCN2834.JPGDSCN2833.JPG

Anyway, now I have my fleet of single coil strats, too many of course, all which sound wonderfully big and open. Klein, Amalfitano, Chubtone, Fatpups.
Kleins are the most open, and I've tried many of their models. They vary in voicings from model to model, but all have the most big open quality. My 63 Chubtone set is open with thicker potential. Amalfitano set similar. Fatpups FatLittleWing set are less open than the others, but they'll cover up a body that might tend to not sound so good. And they're still fairly open compared to many other brands I've tried.
Username checks out.... :D
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
TVvoodoo
Reactions:

Fixing a nice quality strap for a working pro.

When new 15 years ago, the big brass buckle adjustment on the back caught his eye. Over time
he grew to hate it, mostly because the strap wouldn't go another three inches longer than stock.
The multi layer body was separating and wrinkling up, and the nose hole needs to be shored up.
Will remove buckle, turn it into a ladder back, and also line it and pad it.

But I love tearing apart other makers straps, I learn from it every time.
Endless source of eye-rolling dad jokes, aspiring empty-nester, custom strap-maker https://reverb.com/ca/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories
Chocol8
Reactions:

Well, I finally had it with the stock Fat 50’s pickups in my latest Strat purchase. I found a set of “used” but never installed Antiquity II’s at a good price and decided to make the switch. I am a big fan of the SD antiquities, but I have never bought the factory set, preferring to use 3 identical pickups like the original Fenders. The standard set has a RWRP middle and a hotter bridge which I can always replace if I don’t like it. I also ordered some no load tone pots for that guitar and also my MIJ so I can do dual master tones with different capacitance and the ability to use none, either or both.

Both guitars will hit the bench on Black Friday, and I might open up a Twin Reverb as well and do some Normal channel mods. Or I might just eat a ton of leftovers and sleep half the day. We will see!