Whats on your work bench?

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
ID10t
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:09 pm Jack plate template #1 is done. Still deciding if I want to go plastic, wood, or metal.

I was thinking raw copper and let it develop a corrosion look, or maybe gold leaf bling. Polished brass? Aged bronze? Nickel or chrome? Or should I stick with GE lightbulb box cardboard?
Keeping with tradition, kinda, I would go with brass.
Partscaster
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:09 pm Jack plate template #1 is done. Still deciding if I want to go plastic, wood, or metal.

I was thinking raw copper and let it develop a corrosion look, or maybe gold leaf bling. Polished brass? Aged bronze? Nickel or chrome? Or should I stick with GE lightbulb box cardboard?
I'ld go copper, or sardine tin with fish pic.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Chocol8
Reactions:

I have two kinds of sardines, but neither of them have usable fish pictures. Plus, I think the guitar would smell for years!
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

Made some pickups...

Made a radiator set. A5. 8.5 neck, 10k bridge.
20210605_150116.jpg
Rewound some wrhbs. 9k neck, 11k bridge.
20210605_140502.jpg
Also made a strat set. A5 6.6 - 7k
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Shout out to @golem , who is trading me a Sanyo Betamax for some guitarwork (some, below). Some of you may recall my prior posts, that my stereo mastering from 1988 to 2000 for my small production studio (Playpen) was: mix from multi-track (typically a Tascam M38) to a Sony 501es Pulse-Code Modulator (16 Bit), which the code was stored to and played back from a Betamax transport (yes, the old video tape machine). Fast forward to 2019 and this PCM+Beta would not play back my tapes without serious drop out. Then that Beta's power transformer quit. I think Chandler's find may revives some of my old stereo masters!

So today:
- Replace (3) rubber belts, head clean & test. Rebuild one, very important cassette which is jammed. Pic below of the machine partially rebuilt for test, but I had to tear the whole sucker down to get to each drive mechanism (PIA). I got lucky and found a belt supplier, but needed to double up on the belts which were thinner than the original.
20210606_112454.jpg
- Rebuild this 80's Japanese Squire Bullet Stratocaster. I did a fret level and dress, now replacing most of the metal which was corroded really badly. I may have to grind the height adjustment screws, so they don't scratch a muting hand.
20210606_112440.jpg
- 2014 Fender Jazzmaster Special: fret polish, new strings, action, neck relief, intonnate, clean the pots and set pickup height.
20210606_112454.jpg
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Shout out to @golem , who is trading me a Sanyo Betamax for some guitarwork (some, below). Some of you may recall my prior posts, that my stereo mastering from 1988 to 2000 for my small production studio (Playpen) was: mix from multi-track (typically a Tascam M38) to a Sony 501es Pulse-Code Modulator (16 Bit), which the code was stored to and played back from a Betamax transport (yes, the old video tape machine). Fast forward to 2019 and this PCM+Beta would not play back my tapes without serious drop out. Then that Beta's power transformer quit. I think Chandler's find may revives some of my old stereo masters!

So today:
- Replace (3) rubber belts, head clean & test. Rebuild one, very important cassette which is jammed. Pic below of the machine partially rebuilt for test, but I had to tear the whole sucker down to get to each drive mechanism (PIA). I got lucky and found a belt supplier, but needed to double up on the belts which were thinner than the original.
The attachment 20210606_112454.jpg is no longer available
- Rebuild this 80's Japanese Squire Bullet Stratocaster. I did a fret level and dress, now replacing most of the metal which was corroded really badly. I may have to grind the height adjustment screws, so they don't scratch a muting hand.
The attachment 20210606_112440.jpg is no longer available
- 2014 Fender Jazzmaster Special: fret polish, new strings, action, neck relief, intonnate, clean the pots and set pickup height.
20210606_112505.jpg
tobijohn
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:06 pm Shout out to @golem , who is trading me a Sanyo Betamax for some guitarwork (some, below). ...

So, you're into the barter system? I can't speak for @toomanycats but I've got some non-guitar related items I might be willing to trade for some guitar related work...:)
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
toomanycats
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:15 pm
andrewsrea wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:06 pm Shout out to @golem , who is trading me a Sanyo Betamax for some guitarwork (some, below). ...

So, you're into the barter system? I can't speak for @toomanycats but I've got some non-guitar related items I might be willing to trade for some guitar related work...:)
It's funny how selling pussy is against the law, but bartering with pussy is legal. ;) :lol:
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
golem
Reactions:

@andrewsrea You know I can still, probably, return that betamax to the guy I bought it from. He admitted he didn't have a tape to test it on. I think Rob is like the patron saint of broken vintage A/V gear, guitars, and amps. If he can fix it, he will.

@toomanycats and @tobijohn
If anything I'm always trying to give Rob more money. The dude is far too generous with his time and abilities.
andrewsrea
Reactions:

"When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't." - Thomas Edison.

@golem The Betamax is a keeper - thank you. It plays 80% of the tapes and I've recovered some music which was not only important to me, but that I had way more recordings that I completely forgot (like another Sioux City song, which I did produce). So - most appreciated!

@tobijohn someday I'll get down to your neighborhood and will bring my repair gear. As we talked before, I am old friends with Steve who owns Jupiter Music and my best friend owns 5 BnB condos in Palm Beach Island - so free stay. I think that is driving distance to you?

In the meantime and as long as you pay shipping, I am game for fixing for cost of parts. Aside from Chandler, there are a few who take me up on that. And with Chandler, I get to sample some really cool equipment that I probably not encounter on my own. So, it works out.

No bartering for felines. As much as I like them and my wife and I have had six of those furry family members in our 33 year journey, our dog and my son's dogs who we watch a couple times a week would not be welcoming to a cat. As a matter of fact, my son's dog Zeus is 1/2 blood hound and 1/2 lab who instinctively chases small non-dog animals.

@toomanycats lol. Well, there are more female guitarists in the world in need of music equipment repairs! I wonder how that price list would look like? ;)
tobijohn
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:26 pm
@tobijohn someday I'll get down to your neighborhood and will bring my repair gear. As we talked before, I am old friends with Steve who owns Jupiter Music and my best friend owns 5 BnB condos in Palm Beach Island - so free stay. I think that is driving distance to you?
I forgot about your connection to Jupiter Music, thanks for reminding me. I had wanted to stop by there and talk to your friend about stepping in to help dispose of all my gear and parts in the event something happened to me, didn't want to leave it up to my siblings who are all pretty much up in the Chicago area. Knowing nothing, they'd probably end up calling Guitar Center and getting ten cents on the dollar.

I'm actually only about a fifteen minute drive from there and used to pass by his store a couple times a week when I had my pool business...
andrewsrea
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:50 pm I forgot about your connection to Jupiter Music, thanks for reminding me. I had wanted to stop by there and talk to your friend about stepping in to help dispose of all my gear and parts in the event something happened to me, didn't want to leave it up to my siblings who are all pretty much up in the Chicago area. and know nothing, they'd probably end up calling Guitar Center and getting ten cents on the dollar.
Steve is probably pushing 70 years-old and LOL, the shrewd guy he is - would also offer ten cents on the dollar. However, if you tell him you know Rob Andrews who used to buy a lot of gear (as did my bandmates) and fix stuff for his Glenolden, PA store (Top Ten Music), I am sure he'll give you ideas of how to best divide your musical estate.
tobijohn
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:37 pm
Steve is probably pushing 70 years-old and LOL, the shrewd guy he is - would also offer ten cents on the dollar. However, if you tell him you know Rob Andrews who used to buy a lot of gear (as did my bandmates) and fix stuff for his Glenolden, PA store (Top Ten Music), I am sure he'll give you ideas of how to best divide your musical estate.
Or maybe even twenty cents on the dollar. Hey, that's 50% more than GC...
Chocol8
Reactions:

Cardboard just isn’t going to work long term, but I found a piece of copper that is nice thickness. I think it is .05” or a touch over 1 mm thick so plenty of stiffness.

I am not sure when I will have time to cut it, but probably next week. Also on the list will be a full shielding upgrade with copper tape in the cavities and an attempt at lowering the G pole pieces on the pickups to more of a 54 stagger. The shielding is always important if you want to have single coil pickups with an active boost.
D452A974-D8D8-4219-A55C-6B0F67283806.jpeg
tobijohn
Reactions:

E85C8D74-B9F6-4536-BE8B-1C743FF4AB6C.jpeg
I'm paying close attention to this project because it looks like something that I might want to try sometime in the future. For the mounting plate, I'd probably use some stock that matched the pickguard but that's me...
Chocol8
Reactions:

I thought about pick guard material, but I want something really stiff with the input jack mounted on it.
tobijohn
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:14 pm I thought about pick guard material, but I want something really stiff with the input jack mounted on it.
Hmm, good point, I hadn't thought of that. What about maybe gluing a thin piece of metal with the same outline but recessed along the edges so that a top piece made of pickguard stock can still lay flush on the body? The weak points would still be the mounting screws though but if the screws also went through the underside metal plate and longer ones were used, it might not be a problem...
Chocol8
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:33 pm Hmm, good point, I hadn't thought of that. What about maybe gluing a thin piece of metal with the same outline but recessed along the edges so that a top piece made of pickguard stock can still lay flush on the body? The weak points would still be the mounting screws though but if the screws also went through the underside metal plate and longer ones were used, it might not be a problem...
I also considered painted metal which could easily be matched to the pickguard or any other color really. For now I am going with raw copper with the hope that it will naturally tarnish and go with overall theme. If not, copper can also be easily plated to match the other hardware.
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:45 pm Cardboard just isn’t going to work long term, but I found a piece of copper that is nice thickness. I think it is .05” or a touch over 1 mm thick so plenty of stiffness.

I am not sure when I will have time to cut it, but probably next week. Also on the list will be a full shielding upgrade with copper tape in the cavities and an attempt at lowering the G pole pieces on the pickups to more of a 54 stagger. The shielding is always important if you want to have single coil pickups with an active boost.

D452A974-D8D8-4219-A55C-6B0F67283806.jpeg
If those pickups are made with flatwork and rod magnets, I wouldn't suggest trying to change magnet heights.
If its the plastic kind with steel slugs it would be fine.
Chocol8
Reactions:

Buddha Pickups wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:41 am If those pickups are made with flatwork and rod magnets, I wouldn't suggest trying to change magnet heights.
They are rod magnets. I have moved them before (on different sets) sometimes successfully and sometimes not! They way I see it is they are not working for me now. If I break a wire moving a magnet, I will replace them. If I can move the magnets without breaking a wire I might not have to.

BTW, in case things don’t go well, can you wind up a set of ‘55 style Strat pickups with Alnico 3 magnets in the 54 stagger or a custom somewhat flatter stagger? Alternatively, if you want a set of Fender Fat 50’s in trade, I am open to discussing a deal before I mess with them.
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:10 am
Buddha Pickups wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:41 am If those pickups are made with flatwork and rod magnets, I wouldn't suggest trying to change magnet heights.
They are rod magnets. I have moved them before (on different sets) sometimes successfully and sometimes not! They way I see it is they are not working for me now. If I break a wire moving a magnet, I will replace them. If I can move the magnets without breaking a wire I might not have to.

BTW, in case things don’t go well, can you wind up a set of ‘55 style Strat pickups with Alnico 3 magnets in the 54 stagger or a custom somewhat flatter stagger? Alternatively, if you want a set of Fender Fat 50’s in trade, I am open to discussing a deal before I mess with them.
Sure. Just let me know
Don't need any pickups in trade but I'm sure they'd probably cover what I sell mine for anyway
Chocol8
Reactions:

It turns out that the magnets on these Fender pickups are in a plastic sleeve. Once I broke them free from the wax they moved easily without any broken wires. I moved the G and D poles down, but I think I want to pull the guard and move the B’s up a bit.

After a few drinks, I might even try swapping magnets completely. :D
andrewsrea
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:18 pm After a few drinks, I might even try swapping magnets completely. :D
I think my asshole just puckered!

I've never heard of that being successful, especially with the 1st and 6th string magnets.
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

Made my first jazzmaster sized humbucker
20210614_010236.jpg
20210614_010249.jpg
20210614_010220.jpg
Chocol8
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:07 pm
Chocol8 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:18 pm After a few drinks, I might even try swapping magnets completely. :D
I think my asshole just puckered!

I've never heard of that being successful, especially with the 1st and 6th string magnets.
I ended up sick all weekend which meant no alcohol. No alcohol meant no attempts at magnet swapping, so you can safely unpucker and return to normal bowel movements. :D