Does anyone have 1 or 2 of these - GFS GF'Tron Adapter Plate

Gear_Junky
Reactions:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/GFTron-Ada ... 33866.html
(these are used to mount Filtertron-type pickups in gibson/PAF type mounts).
If you have 1 or 2 of these that you didn't need, can we trade?
image.png
mozz
Reactions:

Doesn't look to hard to actually make, out of plastic or aluminum.
AGF refugee
TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

Plastic is better, aluminum darkens the tone. I speak from experience. Aluminum, while not magnetic, is conductive, and appears to sap away the high end from filtertrons, which is kinda the point of filtertrons.
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:45 pm Doesn't look to hard to actually make, out of plastic or aluminum.
True, if you have the tapping tools, which I don't :)
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

TheIrritableLuthier wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:48 pm Plastic is better, aluminum darkens the tone. I speak from experience. Aluminum, while not magnetic, is conductive, and appears to sap away the high end from filtertrons, which is kinda the point of filtertrons.
I didn't think of that and didn't know that. Thank you for mentioning. Unfortunately in my case I likely still have to do it, in my WNO-630 I can't raise the neck pickup close to the strings, it's a good half inch away. Might be back to the drawing board. What if I isolate the bar from the baseplate with electrical tape?
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

FWIW, they're not that expensive, it's their shipping. But I may be placing an order anyway. I'm just trying to line everything up :)
mozz
Reactions:

Aluminium will affect a magnetic field? Maybe Eddy currents?
AGF refugee
mickey
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:33 am Aluminium will affect a magnetic field? Maybe Eddy currents?
Duane??? :D

Gandalf the Intonationer
TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

Gear_Junky wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:45 pm
TheIrritableLuthier wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:48 pm Plastic is better, aluminum darkens the tone. I speak from experience. Aluminum, while not magnetic, is conductive, and appears to sap away the high end from filtertrons, which is kinda the point of filtertrons.
I didn't think of that and didn't know that. Thank you for mentioning. Unfortunately in my case I likely still have to do it, in my WNO-630 I can't raise the neck pickup close to the strings, it's a good half inch away. Might be back to the drawing board. What if I isolate the bar from the baseplate with electrical tape?
Its certainly worth a try, especially if this is your best option for mounting the pickups. I made my own in the past, both aluminum and plastic, but if you aren't equipped for DIY, I'd go with these and try them. Just keep in mind if you find things darker than you'd like, those bars could be the culprit.
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

TheIrritableLuthier wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:03 am Its certainly worth a try, especially if this is your best option for mounting the pickups. I made my own in the past, both aluminum and plastic, but if you aren't equipped for DIY, I'd go with these and try them. Just keep in mind if you find things darker than you'd like, those bars could be the culprit.
so any thoughts on electrically isolating them from the baseplate?
TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

Gear_Junky wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:45 pm
TheIrritableLuthier wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:03 am Its certainly worth a try, especially if this is your best option for mounting the pickups. I made my own in the past, both aluminum and plastic, but if you aren't equipped for DIY, I'd go with these and try them. Just keep in mind if you find things darker than you'd like, those bars could be the culprit.
so any thoughts on electrically isolating them from the baseplate?
None. Electronics aren't my forté.
OMB
Reactions:

There is a guy over at Gretsch Talk that makes these out of plastic but I don't have the energy for a search right now.
Central Floriduh Ain't it Grand!
idiotsdelight
Reactions:

I bought mine from Philadelphia Luthier Tools during a holiday sale. They were plenty affordable during the sale.

I have a tap/die set from Harbor Freight as well. I even went and bought some exact looking (to your GFS image) packaged aluminum pieces from Home Depot for a couple dollars. That was going to be my first option. You could experiment on plastic or aluminium if you had the tap & die. Make a mistake, toss it & try again.
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

idiotsdelight wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:28 pm I bought mine from Philadelphia Luthier Tools during a holiday sale. They were plenty affordable during the sale.

I have a tap/die set from Harbor Freight as well. I even went and bought some exact looking (to your GFS image) packaged aluminum pieces from Home Depot for a couple dollars. That was going to be my first option. You could experiment on plastic or aluminium if you had the tap & die. Make a mistake, toss it & try again.
Thank you. Did you find the right thread for those filtertron screws? I guess I'm concerned that plastic will not last, unless it's a particularly rigid type of polymer. Maybe with washers... or even just nuts+washers, so then only need drilled holes in the plastic. What plastic material do y'all recommend?

(I have those 2 GFS brackets in my basket as I may be ordering pickups, etc. I just thought I'd explore before proceeding).