"Golden Era" MIK Washburn Strat With Upgrades: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

toomanycats
Reactions:

I first started "stalking" this Washburn Strat early last week. I liked the overall look of it immediately upon seeing it. It also had some quality upgrades. At $80 there were times in the past when I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat. However, I've really tried to be more discriminating of late. At this point, owning as many guitars as I do, something has to be what I consider a really good deal for me to take it home. So I walked away.

Fast forward to the end of last week, which was Saturday. I walk into the same pawn shop and the guitar now has a $40 sticker on it, along with the words, "Pickups do not work." I immediately knew that all that meant was that somebody was going to buy it but wanted to test it first, they plugged it in and it made no sound, they passed on the guitar because they can't do repairs themselves, so the employees put it back on the wall at half price. Probably a loose wire, nothing more. So I grab the Washburn for $40.

THE GOOD

It's a 1995, made in Korea, made by Samick Strat copy from the Washburn Shadow Series. The exact model may be WS-4, or something like that. I can't find one exactly like mine, meaning made in Korea and with the bullet truss rod, though I've seen similar ones that were made around 97 in Indonesia. It's not in original condition and I'm thinking somebody was trying to do a SRV tribute thing here on a budget.

Glorious neck profile on this thing with excellent fret work. It's one piece maple with a skunk stripe.

The body has an HSS route. Not sure what wood it is, though it looks like it's three pieces. Not the prettiest wood I've ever seen on a Strat, but certainly not the ugliest either.

The pickups are Fender Tex-Mex and sound wonderful. Never had a set of these before and I'm quite impressed.

The tuners are upgraded with HipShot open gear six in line. These things are quality.

The saddles look like they're some kind of aftermarket jobbers, maybe teflon impregnated string saver type deals.

THE BAD

Those previously mentioned upgraded saddles had the adjustment screws either frozen or stripped. I've dealt with that issue before and know how to address it, but I wanted to play the guitar now. So I pulled the entire bridge out and threw in a loose one I had from a Squier SE.

The non-functioning pickups were the result of a wire being disconnected from the output jack. Ten second fix. There was also no ground wire at all between the volume pot and the trem claw. Fixed that too.

THE UGLY

Like I said previously, I think somebody was going for a SRV thing here. The pickguard was rattle canned black, and not very skillfully either.

What is worse, there had been an interference problem between said pickguard and the bridge, and the amateur "luthier" apparently took some kind of cutting implement . . . maybe a Dremel cut off wheel, maybe a steak knife, who knows what . . . and lopped off a corner of the pickguard, scarring the top of the guitar in the process. Now I don't like to use this phrase too often, as I admit that it is both offensive and sexist . . . but I'd sure like to bitch slap whoever it was that did that. :lol: There's just no excuse for that type of guitar abuse!

All things considered I think I did really good for $40. After almost complete disassembly, cleaning, and a set up it's a very solid guitar. It has killer Strat tone with those Tex-Mex pups, the neck is a dream, and it stays in tune like a champ.

fullsizeoutput_b08.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b04.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_aff.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b00.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_afd.jpeg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
toomanycats
Reactions:

Bridge and saddles that came on the guitar. Anybody know exactly what those saddles are? I don't think they're metal.
fullsizeoutput_b01.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b03.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b02.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_afe.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b05.jpeg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Those saddles are either zinc or stainless -- my money is on zinc. Replacement stainless saddles are a nice upgrade.

Pickguards should be easy to come by.

But $40...man, even if you upgraded the bridge and the pickguard, you' coukd get out of there for $80 and have a Strat with Hipshot tuners and Texas Specials.

You need to do infomercials where you sell this spectacular system you use to do this.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
toomanycats
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:27 pm Those saddles are either zinc or stainless -- my money is on zinc. Replacement stainless saddles are a nice upgrade.

Pickguards should be easy to come by.

But $40...man, even if you upgraded the bridge and the pickguard, you' coukd get out of there for $80 and have a Strat with Hipshot tuners and Texas Specials.

You need to do infomercials where you sell this spectacular system you use to do this.
Not Texas Specials, but Tex-Mex. I know that the former are more expensive, but many players actually prefer the latter. I think the Tex-Mex sound great.

As far as the saddles, I stand corrected about them not being metal. They're a non metallic metal, and I'm leaning towards brass. Here's a couple close up pics in which they look like brass from the gold colored exposed metal parts. The black coating is what threw me off.
fullsizeoutput_b09.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b0a.jpeg
AnotherJim
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile 3010 SE, Epiphone LP Studio, Fender MIM Strat and Tele, Squier Stagemaster, Squier Standard, Peavey Rotor, Samick Arts SG

I love “finds” like these, Congrats, looks like. A great guitar to bring to your gigs with in that you dont have to worry about it taking a beating or other happenings, and it will sound and play great.
fullonshred
Reactions:

Crazy good grab at that price. I don't frequent pawn shops, but when I do go in their guitars mostly seem seriously over-priced. Again though, if I did more of it I would likely eventually see something worthwhile at a decent price.

Congrats, and are you going to try to salvage the saddles?
toomanycats
Reactions:

fullonshred wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:37 pm Crazy good grab at that price. I don't frequent pawn shops, but when I do go in their guitars mostly seem seriously over-priced. Again though, if I did more of it I would likely eventually see something worthwhile at a decent price.

Congrats, and are you going to try to salvage the saddles?
Yes, I'm going to put the saddles and original bridge back on when I get them sorted out. It looks like for whatever reason there are two different size allen head adjustment screws. To clarify, I mean the screws themselves are all the same size, but two different sized wrenches are required to adjust them.
jam
Reactions:

Ah yes, the non-metallic metal. Sounds like Star Trek and matter/anti-matter reactions.
toomanycats
Reactions:

jam wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:00 pm Ah yes, the non-metallic metal. Sounds like Star Trek and matter/anti-matter reactions.
Ha ha, yeah, I meant to say non "magnetic" metal.

But for a good example of non-metalic metal I would suggest listening to Metallica's Load album. :lol: