THE ROMAN SPRING of toomanycats (UPDATE, THE END, APRIL 2024)

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
toomanycats
Reactions:

Bonus points to anybody who gets the filmic reference of this thread title. The film in question was based on a novel by Tennessee Williams.

Some of you may have followed the recent drama of my being ostracized from the local music scene due to outrageous fortune. We need not get into that here, but suffice it it say that lately I'd been feeling rather down and cast away.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2994&hilit=kills+me+tonight

Last Monday morning, out of the clear blue sky, I received solicitation to join a well established working band made up of 22 year old guys who were desperately in need of a lead guitar player. They had a gig booked for that Friday, which they had anticipated would have to be cancelled. After talking with them on the phone and seeing their set list I promptly informed them that they need not cancel the Friday gig. I explained that I was something like a guitar ronin; I take on paying jobs that interest me, I learn the material, and I deliver at the show. After a rehearsal, during which we rapidly charged through a dozen tunes with nary a break, they were convinced of both my sincerity and ability.

We played the show last Friday, which went smashingly, and it appears that I've now found myself the newest member in a band in which the combined ages of any two of the other members still falls short of mine by about a decade. I know it sounds weird, but these "kids" are completely into Zeppelin, Sabbath, Van Halen, Hendrix, Chuck Berry, and Elvis. For my part, I feel like I'm getting to relive part of my youth, specifically, a time in the late 80s when I was playing this exact type of material with guys around this age.

Our next gig is Friday June 24th at what is considered the premiere local venue. It's good to start at the top for a change.

fullsizeoutput_e57.jpeg

“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

NICE. Playing the "Mick Mars" role suits you.

Have you warned them of your "female fan base?"
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
toomanycats
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:56 am NICE. Playing the "Mick Mars" role suits you.

Have you warned them of your "female fan base?"
LOL. The Mick Mars thing has crossed my mind.

I don't feel any need to tell them about my recent drama. Being as young as was they are, as well as being based out of another city, they're largely unaware of the music scene in which I was previously involved. However, they are aware that I'm well known by the name "The Wizard." I've played lots of gigs in their neck of the woods and people just know who I am.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
jtcnj
Reactions:

Good luck with the new gig!

I do hope the other thing does not get wind of this.
Maybe it knows of this forum and will BOLO, I hope not.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
glasshand
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:37 am I know it sounds weird, but these "kids" are completely into Zeppelin, Sabbath, Van Halen, Hendrix, Chuck Berry, and Elvis.
It's really fascinating to me how many young people (AFAICT) are into "classic" rock* - I mean, this stuff is at least 40 years old now. Were there kids in the 1970s who were into vaudeville or something? I doubt it. (Beyond a few theater nerds, I mean.) But there is definitely a hunger for rock & roll that I think is not being fulfilled by mainstream commercial culture.

* Not all of them, of course. I love my nephew but he likes some terrible, terrible YouTube rappers.
toomanycats
Reactions:

glasshand wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:45 am
toomanycats wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:37 am I know it sounds weird, but these "kids" are completely into Zeppelin, Sabbath, Van Halen, Hendrix, Chuck Berry, and Elvis.
It's really fascinating to me how many young people (AFAICT) are into "classic" rock* - I mean, this stuff is at least 40 years old now.
This was our set list on Friday, June 10th:

Rock & Roll
Voodoo Child
Hey Joe
Mary Jane's Last Dance
The Ocean
Johnny B Good/Wipeout
Hard to Handle
Little Wing
Pride & Joy
Sweet Home Alabama/All Summer Long
Superstition
Lemon Song
Jail House Rock
Ice Cream Man
All Right Now
Gimme Three Steps
Simple Man
Cumbersome
I Love Rock and Roll
Moby Dick
WarPigs
Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid
Ain't Talkin' Bout Love
Tush
Comfortably Numb
Lonely Is the Night
Good Times Bad Times
TNT
Home Sweet Home
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Awesome set list. Especially "Cumbersome". That song doesn't get enough love.

And the singer must be good to handle that wide a range.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

That is an impressive setlist. Any videotape from the gig? You might have to explain what "videotape" is to your band mates.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
LancerTheGreat
Reactions:
Gearlist: -Guitars-
Gibson Dave Mustaine Flying V EXP
ESP LTD DV8R Dave Mustaine Signature Model
ESP LTD V401DX
Agile AL3100
Kit Explorer
Jackson JS32RR
TWANG Tele
Samick Strat
Firefly Semi-Hollow Tele
Globe Dove Copy

-Amps-
Orange OR-15 (Head)
EVH 112 (Cabinet)
Bugera 1960 Infinium (Head)
Bugera 412 (Cabinet)
Peavey VTX Classic 212 (Combo)
Laney Mini-ST Lionheart Practice Amp

That's awesome!
I know quite a few "young folk" that prefer good old fashioned rock and roll.

Hell most of the bands I liked when I was 17 were the bands that influenced more modern bands I liked. Though really my introduction to real music was ac/dc, iron butterfly, the doors, and Led zeppelin. Of course I went pretty deep into punk for a while before I found my way to thrash metal and then delved into all of those influences and influences of their influences and then seriously broadened my musical horizons.
...and then there was that stretch of time with all the LSD :rofl:

Hopefully I can find some like minded fellas in the next few years to jam with, certainly miss jamming with a good cohesive band.
~Formerly LookingDownTheCross~
Partscaster
Reactions:

Now your in a band who's songs are mostly ones
I'd like to hear, and play.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
toomanycats
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:26 am Now your in a band who's songs are mostly ones
I'd like to hear, and play.
Of all the bands I've played with over the last couple of years this is the one that's really going to allow me to fully unleash myself on guitar. At practice on Tuesday we were jamming on Montrose's "Rock Candy" and they want to add it to the set list. The singer said he wanted to do RATT's "Lay it Down." They asked me for suggestions of other similar material we could do. I started naming off tunes like "High Wire" by Badlands, "Kiss of Death" by Dokken, Ozzy's "Over the Mountain," Van Halen's "Show Your Love" and "Romeo Delight." These guys are game to play all of that. Plus they're interested in adding some of my original tunes.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Every one of those songs is a win for me. Your band sounds like one I would cheerfully go and see.
- Ron Swanson
toomanycats
Reactions:

Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Nice!

Is that bass player old enough to be in a bar?
- Ron Swanson
mickey
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:16 pm Nice!

Is that bass player old enough to be in a bar?
He appears older than one of the patrons at the bar! :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

The kid with the drumstick? Let 'im enjoy his beer in peace!
- Ron Swanson
toomanycats
Reactions:

Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Nice again. You guys seemed to be feeling that one a bit.
- Ron Swanson
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

A band I would happily watch all night. Strong, strong work.

Just a thought... I use the F ford all of the time but, whether it be a small room or a stadium gig, it seems contrite on stage for some reason. Call me a prude, I guess.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
toomanycats
Reactions:

tlarson58 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:46 am
Just a thought... I use the F ford all of the time but, whether it be a small room or a stadium gig, it seems contrite on stage for some reason. Call me a prude, I guess.
I completely understand what you're saying about the F bomb, and I agree. There was a time when it was a very potent word, and there were serious consequences to using it publicly. Somebody was really sticking their neck out by using it. The first time I heard Guns & Roses Appetite for Destruction album the profanity was one of the things that shocked me. But somehow over the last several decades the F bomb has gone the same way as tattoos, earrings, and long hair. None of these things have the potency and power they once had as symbols signifying rebellion, contempt for acceptable societal norms, anger, and non-conformity. Corporations and the "straights" have co-opted almost every counter cultural expression to the point where they're no longer cool. I've come to the same conclusion Hewey Lewis did back in the 80s, "It's hip to be square."
Partscaster
Reactions:

Nice playing TMC. Good singer good band.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Have fun!
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
TVvoodoo
Reactions:

that was very entertaining! Good show 2many
Endless source of eye-rolling dad jokes, aspiring empty-nester, custom strap-maker https://reverb.com/ca/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories
toomanycats
Reactions:

Here's a little update on our upcoming show this Friday the 24th of June, which has now turned out to be shows, as in plural.

The gig we originally booked for that night is an opening slot where we perform from 7 -8 PM. The headliner is a touring hair metal tribute band. The venue is called Apps and Taps. It's the same establishment in the video posted above, only this time we're not playing in the bar/restaurant downstairs, but upstairs on their big stage with pro sound and light, the smoke machines, house sound guys, the works. I've played that stage before and it's the best venue on Lake Norman. We really need to deliver during that one hour performance because that's the doorway to headlining. We were putting all our focus on rehearsing the perfect one hour set.

The last time I performed on the main stage at Apps and Taps, with local artist Dani Kerr, about six months ago.
261793675_122772546867904_3645090684563648100_n.jpg

sc.jpeg
thumbnail-7.jpeg

However, after this our drummer, who also does the bookings, informed us that he scheduled a headlining gig that same night after our opening slot at Apps and Taps. This second gig is across town at a place called Miciah's, running from 9:30 until 1:30. For context, both these gigs are in Mooresville, North Carolina.

So now, in addition to perfecting the one hour set for the earlier opening slot, we also have to make sure we have enough material to play a full four hours at Miciah's, which won't be too difficult. Personally, I've played untold gigs entirely without benefit of a set list. It's sorta my forte and calling card.

You won't hear any complaining from me about playing two gigs in one night. I'm just happy to be performing with a kick ass band once again.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I pulled several full doubles over the years. It makes for a nap the next day.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole