PSA: Quite a few guitars just up on the Live Auctioneers site

tobijohn
Reactions:

The site's search feature really doesn't work very well but if you use the link below, you should be able to toggle through this seller's individual listings that are displayed below the primary search results:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog ... -and-amps/

There are quite a few guitars of both dexterities as well as amps too (four pages worth). I've never purchased anything from this site so can't offer an opinion...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
toomanycats
Reactions:

Surprising how many lefties there are. Must have come for a single collection.

I've gotta be honest, I'd like to be the only kid on the block with one of these:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/11 ... ar-cabinet

I'm thinking 4X14 is a typo and it's really 8X12.

mard.jpeg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

I think some of those estimates are missing zeroes at the end...maybe multiple on some cases ;-) Worth a watch though, I've never even heard of that site before so maybe it won't get overrun with bidders.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
tobijohn
Reactions:

Check the fine print carefully regarding Shipping, Payment & Auction Policies...
mickey
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:07 am Check the fine print carefully regarding Shipping, Payment & Auction Policies...
Reading their FAQ make me think it is more risky than eBay or Reverb, etc.
Gandalf the Intonationer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:49 am Reading their FAQ make me think it is more risky than eBay or Reverb, etc.
I agree it is more risky than those venues. I think it's a good find if taken carefully though, and we have 11 days to consider the risks, set our pricing goals, etc. And yikes, 28% buyer's premium. Guessing all the lefties came from one estate.
jtcnj
Reactions:

I tried to bid on something, you have to give them full credit card info., just to bid.
Scares me.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
golem
Reactions:

Yeah I'm trying to decide whether I want to bid. Might see if one of my credit cards has the option to generate a CC# for just this site. If so, I'll go ahead.
tobijohn
Reactions:

At this writing (twenty minutes to go), there are still an incredible number of deals based on the current high bid including the 28% buyer surcharge and shipping costs but none of them really appeal to me and I don't have the time or inclination for flipping.

I'm not sure what the advantage is to this site to a seller is over eBay if you were to list with a reasonable starting bid or reserve...
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I didn't create an account because none of the guitars are anything I need. So I would have only been looking for steals if I had signed up. Given the 28% premium, tax, and unknown shipping (at least without giving them my credit info ahead of time), combining all that with the fact auctions are not responsible for undisclosed problems, I decided to pass also.
tobijohn
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:00 pm I didn't create an account because none of the guitars are anything I need. So I would have only been looking for steals if I had signed up. Given the 28% premium, tax, and unknown shipping (at least without giving them my credit info ahead of time), combining all that with the fact auctions are not responsible for undisclosed problems, I decided to pass also.
I'm not sure how that site works. I thought the auction was over at the end of an items countdown but now it says "Auction is beginning in )x) minutes
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I've been watching it, they're currently on lot 36. A lot of good deals being had.
tobijohn
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:32 pm I've been watching it, they're currently on lot 36. A lot of good deals being had.
I'm doing the same, the two Danelectros were a steel depending on what it would cost to have it packed and shipped...
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:35 pm I'm doing the same, the two Danelectros were a steel depending on what it would cost to have it packed and shipped...
Yeah, those Danos going so cheap really surprised me too.
tobijohn
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:42 pm
tobijohn wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:35 pm I'm doing the same, the two Danelectros were a steel depending on what it would cost to have it packed and shipped...
Yeah, those Danos going so cheap really surprised me too.
$325 with the buyers charge for a lefty MIM black/maple Strat seems like a pretty good deal, pretty sure they generally go for over $500...

$630 for a MIA Tele w/HSC!
$670 for a MIA Strat w/HSC!
tobijohn
Reactions:

Jayzus, I'm going to have to do some due diligence on this site for the next time...
mickey
Reactions:

Pardon me but, y'all are nuts! :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:51 pm Jayzus, I'm going to have to do some due diligence on this site for the next time...
That was my plan for this auction too... make a spreadsheet of gear I would care about and figure out minus all the additional costs what my top bid should be for each... Then we had 90 mph straight line winds that took out a section of my fence this week and the auction didn't seem worth-while.
tobijohn
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:53 pm
That was my plan for this auction too... make a spreadsheet of gear I would care about and figure out minus all the additional costs what my top bid should be for each... Then we had 90 mph straight line winds that took out a section of my fence this week and the auction didn't seem worth-while.
I still need a MIA Strat but that typical brown sunburst finish really doesn't blow up my skirt and while the MIM and MIC ones were also deals, I've got no need for any more cheap Strats...
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:03 pm I still need a MIA Strat but that typical brown sunburst finish really doesn't blow up my skirt and while the MIM and MIC ones were also deals, I've got no need for any more cheap Strats...
Yeah, IIRC, the lot 002 was a red USA strat that I liked, but I already have a couple USA strats, one being chrome red. If I didn't have that guitar, I would have been stoked for that one.
tobijohn
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:11 pm
Yeah, IIRC, the lot 002 was a red USA strat that I liked, but I already have a couple USA strats, one being chrome red. If I didn't have that guitar, I would have been stoked for that one.
I somehow missed that lot. Chrome Red or Hot Rod Red with a maple fretboard are the finishes I'm looking for...

OK, found it, and $550 +28% w/HSC is la pretty good price but the fretboard is rosewood and it looks like the finish is CAR so i don't feel so bad...
jtcnj
Reactions:

I signed up and bid on a few - 3 Fender mim strats.
With the 28% house vig, sales tax and shipping, plus my max bid was close to typical street price.
I just wanted to break even and figured on keeping the best one and moving the other two if I ended up with all 3.

All 3 went for a bit over my max.
If I was within reasonable driving distance (an hour or even 2) I would have went a bit higher and probably won.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
Chocol8
Reactions:

Everything I was interested in went for more than I could buy for elsewhere by time I added 28% plus shipping.
tobijohn
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:14 pm Everything I was interested in went for more than I could buy for elsewhere by time I added 28% plus shipping.
I wasn't following the right-handed offerings but it seemed like just about all the lefty stuff went for 25%-33% under the market and that's with the 28% added on.

Was anybody watching the amp auctions?

As for shipping, I assumed that whoever was doing it at that end ha to be charging at least $50 in addition to what the actual carrier would charge...
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

It's a crap-shoot as to what kind of buyers an auction will attract. Righties definitely went higher than the lefties on this one, so apparently this auction attracted the worst elements. :lol:
I watched some of the amps, but didn't have much interest there. I don't trust an auction that spells Squier "Squire" to know how to ship tube amps.