Fender CIJ ST62

Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Ok...so here is a guy in Bangkok offering a Fender crafted in Japan loaded body (Texas Specials) with some other parts and stuff for about $165

I love the color and am tempted...maybe just offer him $100 for the body...hmmm. I could just get any replacement neck...couldn't care less whether it's a Fender logo or not.

https://bangkok.craigslist.org/msg/d/di ... 41789.html
thepezident
Reactions:
Gearlist: I got stuff

archetype
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fender: James Burton Standard Tele, Baja 50s Tele, Classic Player 50s Strat, MIJ ST-62DEX2 Strat.
Squier: Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Bullet Strat, Affinity Strat.
Gibson: ES-335 TDC, Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute.

It might or might not be a Fender Japan body, but there's no proof without the model ink stamp. They were pretty consistent in ink stamping the model of the body in the neck pocket, even if the stamp was incorrect. I don't see any stamp in the picture.

More pics are needed from the seller:
- Underside of the pickguard. Texas Specials can be identified from the number molded into the plastic coil forms and the color of the wire leads.
- Closeup of the neck pocket. ANY stamps? Basswood? Alder?
- Back of the body. Are the middle screws staggered on the back plate?

*IF* it's what the seller says it is, it could be a 1996-2011, Ocean Turquoise, ST-62-70TX or the same thing with a different price point. Ex: The 70 means the guitar sold for 70,000 Yen. IF it's what the seller says it is, IMO $175 USD is a good price.

Bill Alston has a lot of good info on his site.
https://www.alston-family.co.uk/MIJ%20Strats/ST62.php
Fender: James Burton Standard Tele, Baja 50s Tele, Classic Player 50s Strat, MIJ ST-62DEX2 Strat
Squier: Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Bullet Strat, Affinity Strat
Gibson: ES-335 TDC, Les Paul 50s Tribute goldtop
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Well...I have decided not to do it. I spent some quality time with my Maya Strat last nite and decided even though I don't like the color as much as the one on craigslist (SeaFoam Green) I really like most other things about it. I would have to take the neck off the Maya, then of course I'd probably want new tuners too, etc etc...and then the Maya becomes a strat body. Instead putting the money toward saving for a J Mascis Jazzmaster and hopefully a nice semi hollow (if I can find one)
Partscaster
Reactions:

I'ld want proof of what type of wood it is. Either thru proof of model, or good visual, and with pickguard off to see what type of route it is.
For example, I'ld be disappointed to buy a "ST62" and find it basswood with a swimming pool route. (not that basswood or pool routes are bad, but not "62").
If it all checks out, I'ld say "keep the case", 100$...and wait for a neck that you like.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:40 am I'ld want proof of what type of wood it is. Either thru proof of model, or good visual, and with pickguard off to see what type of route it is.
For example, I'ld be disappointed to buy a "ST62" and find it basswood with a swimming pool route. (not that basswood or pool routes are bad, but not "62").
If it all checks out, I'ld say "keep the case", 100$...and wait for a neck that you like.
Yeah..if I didn't already have a Strat style guitar that I liked, I would have grabbed it...but only so much space on the wall space I haev for guitars at this point. Need a Jazzmaster and a 335 style to fill the voids....making music is art but the guitars are art in of themselves.
Partscaster
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:25 pm

...making music is art but the guitars are art in of themselves.
And you are the head Curator of your own museum. I like it.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:40 pm

Ever since retirement I'm trying my best not to become a relic myself !
mickey
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:54 am

You'll be ok as long as nobody comes along and relic's you. :lol:
Gandalf the Intonationer
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:40 am
Tonray's Ghost wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:54 am

You'll be ok as long as nobody comes along and relic's you. :lol:
I've already got some buckle rash and finish crackling...I hope my insurance company doesn't raise my premiums as I'm now vintage