Telecaster neck replacement question

uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

My one and only telecaster is a Fender American Special, which is not made anymore but was kind of the entry point into the american series. Overall I really like it, the look and feel and electronics/hardware all works just as it should. The one thing that i'm not 100% sold on is the neck. It's actually got a really nice satin finish front and back, so I love that - but it's a bit thinner than I prefer and it's got massive jumbo frets. I have played the 52RI's and I like the look of the vintage tint, and I like the medium tall frets...but i don't like the vintage radius. I also like the newer American "orignal" which is kind of the replacment for the 52RI, but it's a lot of coin. So what I was thinking was maybe try and kill 2 birds with one stone - find a neck with a thicker profile and 9.5 radius/medium frets and also get one in roasted maple as I love the look and the finish.

Problem is I have no clue about the other neck manufacturers out there. Fender does actually make a replacement neck that looks close to what i'm looking for
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ingerboard

But i'm not sure if there is a difference between the "standard" series product and the "american" necks they make...are they interchangable?

And for that price you are getting close to the range of some of those crazy flame roasted ones on Warmoth/etc.

I guess I basically need a lesson in tele necks.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Contact Tommy (if still there) at USA Custom Guitars and he will make you a neck to your specs. I actually have one he made for me that I have never used. It has a rosewood board, compound radius and a nice profile. I think the frets may be a little tall for you but that could easily be remedied. I will message you.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
Kojdogg
Reactions:
Gearlist: There’s a lot

I really like Allparts C Strat and Tele necks. They make roasted and roasted quartersawn versions (TMO-CR and TMO-CRQ), but have a 10” radius. You’d need a nut for it and it might need some fret dressing (though I have used at least a dozen on builds that didn’t). I love Warmoth roasted maple necks and have 4 on builds right now. They cost more, but you can specify things like radius, fret size, nut material, etc.

I have a couple of USACG Tele necks in queue, but haven’t used them yet. Build quality looks great, but that’s all I can comment on.

There are also some eBay and Reverb sellers selling roasted maple necks, one of whom claims to be selling necks from the Allparts factory. I’ve used a couple of them as well as a number of their non roasted necks and they are generally good to bolt on as is, have that maple syrup smell when you drill them and have bone nuts that are pretty good, but need to have the string slots filed a bit in order to use. Downside is that they tend to have glossy nitro finishes which I don’t like (part of the appeal of roasted maple necks is being able to use them unfinished).
stacks
Reactions:

Can't go wrong with Warmoth, I have several including a few roasted maple. They may even have one in stock that suits you.
I have the Allparts TMO-Fat and find them to be quite a step down from the Warmoth's.
Mighty Mite being the next step down, from my experience.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

Thanks for all the info so far guy. Who would have thought a piece ( or 2 pieces ) of wood could be so complicated ;-)

In regards to warmoth's processes specifically, i notice each neck is shown without frets installed. I am guessing that you place your order with your nut and fret selections and then then go ahead and do all that prior to shipping? And I would guess that probably takes a few weeks or so?
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
stacks
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:20 pm Thanks for all the info so far guy. Who would have thought a piece ( or 2 pieces ) of wood could be so complicated ;-)

In regards to warmoth's processes specifically, i notice each neck is shown without frets installed. I am guessing that you place your order with your nut and fret selections and then then go ahead and do all that prior to shipping? And I would guess that probably takes a few weeks or so?

Correct.
Unless you find one in their premade section, they will be as listed.
Tons of lefty tele necks currently.
Pricing should come it at, or less then, the Fender replacement,
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

I am extremely picky about Telecaster necks and want to try the 52RI.

My Tele is a 1969 Thinline RI (made in Mexico). 7.25" radius, maple fingerboard, tall-thin frets. It is a 'U' shape, but on the thinner side of those type of necks. Still a substantial feel to it.

I've played a bunch of Fender Teles from all decades and prefer the early 60's shapes and sizes. Although they are all different, they tend to be a 'U' shape (Warmoth calls it 'boat') and substantial. 9" radius is also nice and I have been thinking a Warmoth custom made would be pretty cool.

I think Warmoth has been around the longest doing custom Fender approved necks (some early affiliation with Boogie Bodies and Mighty Mite in the 80's?). So me personally, they would be my first stop. I hear the current wait time is long due to Coronia.

I've made two necks and have no love for doing that again. I just don't have the tools for the radius and got really lucky (put a lot of time into it) they came out good.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting!
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Brendan
Reactions:

USACG is under new ownership and the headstock won’t be Fender shaped. Musikraft. I believe they have what you want with a headstock shape that’s closer to vintage Fender than Warmoth. More variety in options without odd upcharges.
Anacharsis
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:37 pm My one and only telecaster is a Fender American Special, which is not made anymore but was kind of the entry point into the american series. Overall I really like it, the look and feel and electronics/hardware all works just as it should. The one thing that i'm not 100% sold on is the neck. It's actually got a really nice satin finish front and back, so I love that - but it's a bit thinner than I prefer and it's got massive jumbo frets. I have played the 52RI's and I like the look of the vintage tint, and I like the medium tall frets...but i don't like the vintage radius. I also like the newer American "orignal" which is kind of the replacment for the 52RI, but it's a lot of coin. So what I was thinking was maybe try and kill 2 birds with one stone - find a neck with a thicker profile and 9.5 radius/medium frets and also get one in roasted maple as I love the look and the finish.

Problem is I have no clue about the other neck manufacturers out there. Fender does actually make a replacement neck that looks close to what i'm looking for
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ingerboard

But i'm not sure if there is a difference between the "standard" series product and the "american" necks they make...are they interchangable?

And for that price you are getting close to the range of some of those crazy flame roasted ones on Warmoth/etc.

I guess I basically need a lesson in tele necks.
Plenty of good suggestions have already been made. The Fender necks, however, should be a direct swap in. I have seen Squiers that had Player necks put on them, and Player Series guitars with American Professional necks put on them. Stratosphere has a pretty broad selection of Fender necks that are completely finished, including nut slots, as they buy and part out finished Fender guitars.
jimbocaster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Artist formerly known as Shizengiggles...

Have you tried looking at stratosphereparts.com
They have a large variety of Fender necks. Definitely not the cheapest but it's quality stuff.
Formerly known as Shizengiggles
PsychoCid
Reactions:

Lots of great info here. Agree Fender or licensed will be your best fit if you're big on that.

For custom spec necks, i like Musikraft. On the low cost end, Allparts also makes a great ride.