AL-3500 zebrawood at GC

uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

Here’s one you don’t see often. 3500 series was basically a 3xxx spec but with a full thickness cap ( no veneer ) for those unfamiliar. And they had a run with zebrawood instead of maple

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Agile ... -Guitar.gc

Here’s the rondo spec

https://www.rondomusic.com/al3500prestzebra.html
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
fullonshred
Reactions:

Man that is a beauty. Are you gonna grab it!
Longblacktie
Reactions:

That’s hawt! But abalone totally kills it for me
uwmcscott
Reactions:

fullonshred wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:32 pm Man that is a beauty. Are you gonna grab it!
The one thing that holds me back on all all of the older Al 3XXX guitars is the 1 5/8 nut. I know it's kind of silly but I prefer the 1 11/16 or wide 1 3/4 nut on the later ones. I don't currenly own any agiles ( or any Rondo guitars for that matter ) but I would like to have an AL again some day, just waiting for the right deal to come along. I sold the one I should have kept ;-)
mighty_duck
Reactions:

It's been there for months. In "fair" condition.
I remember it coming up in the old forum.

Still, a nice piece of Agile history right there
slowhand84
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:03 pm Here’s one you don’t see often. 3500 series was basically a 3xxx spec but with a full thickness cap ( no veneer ) for those unfamiliar. And they had a run with zebrawood instead of maple

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Agile ... -Guitar.gc

Here’s the rondo spec

https://www.rondomusic.com/al3500prestzebra.html
Yep I would beware of this one because of the "fair" rating as [mention]mighty_duck[/mention] mentioned above...usually that rating is reserved for guitars with pretty legit issues (neck repair, very large dings, etc). From what I can see of the picture it might just be rated that way because the backs of two of the Grover tuners are missing (zoom in on the pic of the back and you can see it), but if anyone is considering this I would definitely call first and have someone go through the guitar in-hand and tell you everything that's up with it. At $450+shipped without a case, it's far from a steal :).
uwmcscott
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:02 pm Yep I would beware of this one because of the "fair" rating as @mighty_duck mentioned above...usually that rating is reserved for guitars with pretty legit issues (neck repair, very large dings, etc). From what I can see of the picture it might just be rated that way because the backs of two of the Grover tuners are missing (zoom in on the pic of the back and you can see it), but if anyone is considering this I would definitely call first and have someone go through the guitar in-hand and tell you everything that's up with it. At $450+shipped without a case, it's far from a steal :).
Yes, all good advice. I've ordered several used guitars from GC with varied success, and you definitely need to call the local store and ask for better pictures before ordering anything. And if they won't go through the trouble then it probably wasn't meant to be.

Having said that, other than one catastrophe with an Edwards LP, I have had pretty good success ordering used gear from GC over the years. They used to run 10-15% off used sales every now and then too, have not seen that in a long while.
slowhand84
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:38 pm
slowhand84 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:02 pm Yep I would beware of this one because of the "fair" rating as @mighty_duck mentioned above...usually that rating is reserved for guitars with pretty legit issues (neck repair, very large dings, etc). From what I can see of the picture it might just be rated that way because the backs of two of the Grover tuners are missing (zoom in on the pic of the back and you can see it), but if anyone is considering this I would definitely call first and have someone go through the guitar in-hand and tell you everything that's up with it. At $450+shipped without a case, it's far from a steal :).
Yes, all good advice. I've ordered several used guitars from GC with varied success, and you definitely need to call the local store and ask for better pictures before ordering anything. And if they won't go through the trouble then it probably wasn't meant to be.

Having said that, other than one catastrophe with an Edwards LP, I have had pretty good success ordering used gear from GC over the years. They used to run 10-15% off used sales every now and then too, have not seen that in a long while.
Oh believe me I am not advocating against GC used purchases :D ...probably 90% of the guitars and gear I own came from GC Used and just about all of those purchases were insane steals for hundreds of dollars off the usual market value (or in some cases closer to $1000 off). They frequently mislabel stuff and half the time if something isn't Fender, Gibson, PRS, etc. they have no idea how to price it. They also never bother really figuring out prices on custom stuff properly, so I have multiple guitars grabbed from there that are $3,000+ new that were $500-$600.

Also: I actually typically don't bother calling them for better pictures on the stuff that seems like a really crazy deal, because by the time you do that and they get back to you (usually hours later, if at all) the guitar's already gone...so I just always order it to my local store so it's a risk-free thing. If anything's up with it, I just hand it back to the sales clerk and get a full refund on the spot. Got burned a few times over the years but all it cost me was 10 minutes of my time to walk over to the store and back to my office, which is a small price to pay.

I don't think I've seen sales off used stuff in many years, but they've occasionally done 36 months no interest on the used stuff with the GC card which is pretty awesome.