SX Hawk RN Stop TP

LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

dabbler wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:18 pm OK, school me. Doesn't the fact that the saddles are metal, with the increased friction for to the bend angle of the strings, make the fine tuners only effective for the unwound strings?

EDIT: Nevemind, I now see that they are intended to be used with roller bridges. I have 2 sets (tuner tailpiece and roller bridge) on order for my fav "studio" LPs.
Don't think so...but I could be wrong of course. They ARE sold WITH Roller Bridges as a set.

Almost all my TP-6 guitars have a standard Tune-O-Matic Bridge and the TP-6 works perfectly fine at dialing in the tuning.
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
Jaymo
Reactions:
Gearlist: SX Liquid. SX Hawk. Sawtooth Tele. Ibanez GAX70L. SX Callisto STD+. Ibanez miKro bass. Jay Turser Pbass. Carvin LB70L.

dabbler wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:18 pm
Jaymo wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:45 pm
LightWingStudios wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:36 pm

KInda a cross between the two tone wise plus your palm doesn't get ripped up by set screws like on a Fender bridge. I LOVE these guitars!

I have an SX Red Strat/Maple Neck/Single Coils, a Mahogany Strat/Rosewood Board/P-90s and a White Liquid/Maple Neck/P-90s that all have Tune-o-matic Bridges but I replaced the Stop Tailpieces with TP-6 Fine Tuning Tailpieces from Geyker...$27. 🙂
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SNGC7QR?ps ... ct_details
I received TP6 tailpieces. It took a little while to get here from China, but not too long.
I installed one on my SX Callisto last weekend, along with the Grover’s I bought from Rondo (Thanks, Kurt).
My guitar got mad at me and stabbed me in the finger with a string.
That, or it just wanted a blood sacrifice.

What a difference they make.

Now I just wait for the Hawk to come in.
OK, school me. Doesn't the fact that the saddles are metal, with the increased friction for to the bend angle of the strings, make the fine tuners only effective for the unwound strings?

EDIT: Nevemind, I now see that they are intended to be used with roller bridges. I have 2 sets (tuner tailpiece and roller bridge) on order for my fav "studio" LPs.
Mea culpa.
I should have specified that I was talking about what a difference the 18:1 Grovers make, not the TP6.

I’m actually needing to order roller bridges for the Callisto and the Hawk P90 (when it arrives).
Unfortunately I’m not sure which ones I should get, nor where I should buy them.
dabbler
Reactions:

Jaymo wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:44 pm
dabbler wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:18 pm
Jaymo wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:45 pm

I received TP6 tailpieces. It took a little while to get here from China, but not too long.
I installed one on my SX Callisto last weekend, along with the Grover’s I bought from Rondo (Thanks, Kurt).
My guitar got mad at me and stabbed me in the finger with a string.
That, or it just wanted a blood sacrifice.

What a difference they make.

Now I just wait for the Hawk to come in.
OK, school me. Doesn't the fact that the saddles are metal, with the increased friction for to the bend angle of the strings, make the fine tuners only effective for the unwound strings?

Mea culpa.
I should have specified that I was talking about what a difference the 18:1 Grovers make, not the TP6.

I’m actually needing to order roller bridges for the Callisto and the Hawk P90 (when it arrives).
Unfortunately I’m not sure which ones I should get, nor where I should buy them.
Ahhh, got it. Well I can tell anybody reading this NOT to try and order the Guyker TP6/bridge combo. The bridge description says roller but the picture shows standard saddles so I thought that they just used the wrong picture... NOT!!

Anyways, I ordered a set of Guyker roller bridges which are supposed to arrive today. I'm a little concerned about whether or not I'll be able to use them though, since the bridges on the guitars I want them on are almost bottomed out already. :roll:
Partscaster
Reactions:

I like that green FF p90.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
dabbler
Reactions:

Guyker rollers arrived AND I was able to get them low enough to get good action!
PXL_20220830_010513794.jpg
The pic is from my Agile "studio" LP. I REALLY like the Guyker TP6 and roller bridge! I especially like that the rollers don't fall out.

I believe I am done modding this guitar, and his Douglas brother. Both have:

String butler
Locking tuners (the Agile actually has Planet Waves auto-trims)
Seymour Duncan P-Rails in triple shot rings
Onboard tuner
And now the Guyker roller bridge with tuner tailpiece

Flexibility, stability and quick string changes, baby!
Jaymo
Reactions:
Gearlist: SX Liquid. SX Hawk. Sawtooth Tele. Ibanez GAX70L. SX Callisto STD+. Ibanez miKro bass. Jay Turser Pbass. Carvin LB70L.

Rondo says it has shipped.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Jaymo wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:29 pm Rondo says it has shipped.
Yup, but UPS tracking tells me it's still in New Hamster.
Jaymo
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:23 pm
UPS said the same thing for mine.

Now, UPS says it’s been out for delivery since 9:30 this morning.

I wonder whose arrives first, yours or mine?

I started and finished work early today.
I wanted more time to play with it after work.

Still, I anxiously await its arrival.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Jaymo wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:57 pm Now, UPS says it’s been out for delivery since 9:30 this morning.

I'm betting yours arrives first. Mine said it had a train related exception yesterday. And today, my UPS email and their tracking site can't even agree on when it will go out.
image.png
Jaymo
Reactions:

It arrived.
I’ve been futzing around with it for about an hour.
I hate it.

I mean, I hate it that I’m not able to take pics at the present time.
It’s a beauty.
It’s a little heavier than I expected, but I wouldn’t say it’s heavy.
There are a couple of frets that feel like they’re sprouting just a hair.
It probably just needs to acclimate to the humid GA environment.
No biggie.
It’s a 2 piece body.
The body kinda looks like a big salmon fillet.
I’m hungry now.
The neck has a little flame.
The neck pup is 6.8K ohms and the bridge pup is 9.3K Ohms.
Both sound good to me.

I would like it a little better if the neck was a little thicker, like my maple Liquid and Hawk necks.
Just a little better.
I’m not mad at it’s thickness.
It’s not some thin, flat, shreddy neck.
It’s just not as fat as my Liquid and my alder Hawk.
It came with a padded SX branded gig bag.
Nowhere near as heavily padded as my Gator Case gig bag, but I’d probably say it’s 10mm thick padding.
Definitely better than just a dust cover.
I didn’t order it with a gig bag.
Thank you, Kurt.

I don’t know how they can make a guitar this nice for this low of a price.

I’m not mad about anything to do with this guitar.

UPS wasn’t gentle with the box, but the packing material around the guitar seems to have done a great job of protecting it in transit.

It does have a couple of lines in the wood, on the back of the body, that run perpendicular to the grain.
You can’t feel them through the finish.
You can see them in the right light and at the right angle.
If this were a guitar costing $1,000.00 or more, it’d be unacceptable to me.
Being that this is a $189 guitar, I’m happy to be stuck with it.

The nut will get lubed.
The bridge and tailpiece will get replaced with Guyker roller bridge and TP6 tailpiece.
The tuners will get replaced.
They’re not horrible, but they’re not 18:1 Rotomatics, either.
Finally, a win for the lefties.

TL;DR

It’s here and I love it.
I can’t take pics yet.
It doesn’t suck.
The P90s definitely don’t suck.
Strat with P90s is as awesome as I hoped it would be.
I finally get to hang out with the cool kids at the 2xP90 Hawk table.
Jaymo
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:20 pm
Jaymo wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:57 pm Now, UPS says it’s been out for delivery since 9:30 this morning.

I'm betting yours arrives first. Mine said it had a train related exception yesterday. And today, my UPS email and their tracking site can't even agree on when it will go out.
image.png
I’m sorry to hear that.
When yours arrives, I hope it’s at least as nice as mine.
Partscaster
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:23 pm
Excuse me! Thats pronounced. "Nude Hampster". It has an invisible "D".
Jeeez.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Mine arrived today, safe and sound. Also a very nice looking 2 piece body. In certain light, I see the 'salmon' aspsect of which @Jaymo spoke, but I also see it as nude hamster. I played it about 20 minutes to check it out, and already like it more than my trem-armed one. It sounds a little better and has more sustain, I'm guessing thanks to stop piece and TOM. Mine also has the surprise gig bag included, nice! The guitar is a real keeper and the plastics will come off. What an amazing deal.
0917221617_resized.jpg
Edit: Small correction, the frets were not perfect after all. I found a high spot on fret 19 across the low strings, so the tools came out to correct that. All good now, no blood and no more fret buzz.
Jaymo
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:27 pm Mine arrived today, safe and sound. Also a very nice looking 2 piece body. In certain light, I see the 'salmon' aspsect of which @Jaymo spoke, but I also see it as nude hamster. I played it about 20 minutes to check it out, and already like it more than my trem-armed one. It sounds a little better and has more sustain, I'm guessing thanks to stop piece and TOM. Mine also has the surprise gig bag included, nice! The guitar is a real keeper and the plastics will come off. What an amazing deal. 0917221617_resized.jpg
I’m very happy that yours came in and you’re as happy with it as I am with mine.
And yes, you have to look at it in the right light/ at the right angle so see the salmon thing.
When I look at mine from the rear strap button end it looks like salmon fillets.

In some ways I’d like it better in candy apple red or LPB,. In other ways I like it better in natural. It would seem a shame to hide that wood under paint. It’s a keeper.

Edit: My wife said it’s too heavy.
She also didn’t believe how little it cost, so I showed her.

As far as the weight, I’d say it’s lighter than my Callisto, and about the same as my alder Hawk and Basswood Liquid.
Yeah, whoever decided that basswood was light weight forgot to send that memo to my Liquid.
Or maybe my Liquid is actually alder, and the wood was listed incorrectly on the Rondo website?

Anyway, I don’t have any complaints about any of my SX guitars, except the heel truss rod adjustment of my alder Hawk.
That’s a bit of a PITA.

But, I am grateful to Kurt for giving us lefties more and better options than other guitar and bass companies.
Jaymo
Reactions:

72D2B8F0-BDF5-4F4F-8B91-61E9A3009B56.png
So, that’s happening. And it’s $4.95 less than the natural.
With any luck, we lefties can expect mahogany P90 Hawks in CAR and LPB
devdem
Reactions:

I went to see the Who tour recently. Pete pulled out a strat equipped with P90's at one point in the show and it had the most fantastic growl. I forget what song, but my buddy and I both looked at each other with raised eyebrows when he rocked that guitar. It made me understand suddenly...