What Agile Semi Hollow is this? Apparently it's an AS1000

golem
Reactions:

I'm thinking of grabbing either this or a strat this seller is selling. I bought an Agile 3200MCC from him yesterday in a package deal with a cab and Yamaha THR100H. I might be able to get this for $400 (or possible a little less). I'm planning to sell the 3200MCC to Jim at cost (member here but I'm confused about his handle) whenever he gets the cash together.

I think the strat is technically the better deal, but these don't come up often. And yes, if I buy this that would be like 4 guitars this week.
golem
Reactions:

Right now I'm thinking it's an AS-1000. $400 might be what they cost originally. Hmm.
mickey
Reactions:

Yep the AS-1000 came standard with ebony fretboard and w/o fret markers (except on the side of the neck.)
Gandalf the Intonationer
golem
Reactions:

Thanks @mickey. I think I'll end up picking this one up today. There's just no opportunity to buy a new one any longer and I realize that they're fetching as much as $600 + shipping now. Which makes sense given their quality and specs. I think they're higher quality than the vintage MIJ Ibanez I posted about in the other thread.
mickey
Reactions:

golem wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:13 am Thanks @mickey. I think I'll end up picking this one up today. There's just no opportunity to buy a new one any longer and I realize that they're fetching as much as $600 + shipping now. Which makes sense given their quality and specs. I think they're higher quality than the vintage MIJ Ibanez I posted about in the other thread.
I agree. At least mine is. :)

AS1000-00.JPG
Gandalf the Intonationer
golem
Reactions:

I just picked it up. Apparently it did come with a different bridge originally. They had forgotten to wire the ground correctly but he discovered he could sort it out by using a bridge with metal saddles instead of the graphtec. It works and doesn't really need to be repaired per se. Not sure if I want to bother Rob about such a thing.

Honestly this thing sounds incredible. It's a little brighter and fuller sounding than most 335s I've tried with no honk. That honk is something that is rather love/hate as it is what gives a bit of that BB/Freddie King sound I like (that and a varitone).
mickey
Reactions:

Actually, I think of it as more of a Gretsch than a Gibson.
My AS-1000 & G5622T are each a perfect fit for the other's case. :)
Gandalf the Intonationer
honyock
Reactions:

mickey wrote:Actually, I think of it as more of a Gretsch than a Gibson.
Good to know, I need a case for my G2622LH.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
golem
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:54 pm Actually, I think of it as more of a Gretsch than a Gibson.
Shape wise I'd agree. In terms of sound and the neck in particular, I'd have to disagree. Keep in mind though almost every Gretsch I've owned is a Terada factory one. I have limited experience with both Chinese and vintage Gretsch.
mickey
Reactions:

golem wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:21 pm
mickey wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:54 pm Actually, I think of it as more of a Gretsch than a Gibson.
Shape wise I'd agree. In terms of sound and the neck in particular, I'd have to disagree. Keep in mind though almost every Gretsch I've owned is a Terada factory one. I have limited experience with both Chinese and vintage Gretsch.
My AS-1000 has the wide (1.75") neck and feels virtually identical to the 6122-1959 that I traded to @Brentona
Gandalf the Intonationer
dabbler
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:32 am
golem wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:13 am Thanks @mickey. I think I'll end up picking this one up today. There's just no opportunity to buy a new one any longer and I realize that they're fetching as much as $600 + shipping now. Which makes sense given their quality and specs. I think they're higher quality than the vintage MIJ Ibanez I posted about in the other thread.
I agree. At least mine is. :)

AS1000-00.JPG
I agree too (please excuse the crappy pic)!
IMGP2571~2.jpg
slowhand84
Reactions:

golem wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:40 pm I just picked it up. Apparently it did come with a different bridge originally. They had forgotten to wire the ground correctly but he discovered he could sort it out by using a bridge with metal saddles instead of the graphtec. It works and doesn't really need to be repaired per se. Not sure if I want to bother Rob about such a thing.

Honestly this thing sounds incredible. It's a little brighter and fuller sounding than most 335s I've tried with no honk. That honk is something that is rather love/hate as it is what gives a bit of that BB/Freddie King sound I like (that and a varitone).
A solid grab, and those pickups look upgraded too (at least the bridge one is definitely not stock). You should pull 'em and see what they are!

My custom AS-1000 is far and away the best Agile I have ever owned. Picked it up at GC for $199 a while back, mine was custom ordered with a rosewood board instead of the ebony and MOP trap inlays instead of the blank board.

golem
Reactions:

@slowhand84 yours is my favorite. The pickups are GFS. I think the bridge is a Dream 180. The neck is a Dream 90. There's no noise in that neck pickup though because of the covers. I wouldn't say they'd be my first choice for upgrades but they're good enough not to bother getting upgraded.
slowhand84
Reactions:

golem wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:26 pm @slowhand84 yours is my favorite. The pickups are GFS. I think the bridge is a Dream 180. The neck is a Dream 90. There's no noise in that neck pickup though because of the covers. I wouldn't say they'd be my first choice for upgrades but they're good enough not to bother getting upgraded.
For sure, these AS-1000s are really awesome and extremely well built...it even sounded solid with the stock Agile pups when I got it. I ended up putting a set of Bareknuckle Mules into mine (grabbed a set used on Reverb for a really great price a few years ago). I love this guitar so much I didn't hesitate for a second to put in a set of pups that pretty much costs the same as the guitar did new :lol:
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

that is a sweet looking 1000, and in todays market a very fair price methinks.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )