Most Unusual Agile LP I've EVER Seen

LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

Absolutely gorgeous and with a MAPLE NECK?!?! :)

https://reverb.com/item/81779867-agile- ... oceanburst

U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
mickey
Reactions:

I'd guess it is someone's custom order from back when Kurt was taking custom orders.
Gandalf the Intonationer
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:24 am I'd guess it is someone's custom order from back when Kurt was taking custom orders.
Taking the orders was fine, delivery was the problem
dabbler
Reactions:

Yeah, definitely a custom order. I never wanted to drop enough coin to get a custom... but I got almost everything I wanted in time.
IMGP0737a.jpg
mozz
Reactions:

I thought the maple necks were a regular item, not custom.

Edit: getting fretboards and necks mixed up.
AGF refugee
dabbler
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:03 am I thought the maple necks were a regular item, not custom.
Both of the guitars pictured above have maple fretboards, but the necks are mahogany. There were a few standard (non-custom) ALs with maple fretboards, but not with P-90s.

Here's another non-custom (Albino AL2500):
AlbinoAL2500.JPG
Chocol8
Reactions:

I don't think the 2500 in the first post was a custom order. The 2500 series had a number of unusual combinations sold in small numbers.
jimbocaster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Artist formerly known as Shizengiggles...

I grabbed this 2500 as a B stock many moons ago. I don't even remember what was "B" about it...
Attachments
IMG_0186.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG
Formerly known as Shizengiggles
toomanycats
Reactions:

Not to drift the thread, but on a larger, more all encompassing subject, it has been my understanding that the man, Les Paul, intended the guitar which is his namesake to be constructed entirely out out maple. In the prototype phase this resulted in an instrument that was too heavy. It was because of this that the combination of a mahogany body with a maple cap was made as a compromise.

Additionally, let it be noted that those who place much emphasis on tonality as it relates to wood species have asserted that maple necks are brighter than mahogany (+rosewood) necks. In fact, insofar as tonality is related to wood, much more emphasis is generally placed upon neck wood than body wood.

This leads me to the roundabout question of why, when Les Paul the man was thwarted in his desire to have an all maple body for his namesake instrument, didn't he settle for having a maple neck and maple fretboard?

Imagine a 1958 Les Paul with a maple neck and fretboard. Is such an idea blasphemy, genius . . . . or Agile?
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
dabbler
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:48 pm Not to drift the thread, but on a larger, more all encompassing subject, it has been my understanding the the man, Les Paul, intended the guitar which is his namesake to be constructed entirely out out maple. In the prototype phase this resulted in an instrument that was too heavy. It was because of this that the combination of a mahogany body with a maple cap was made as a compromise.

Additionally, let it be noted that those who place much emphasis on tonality as it relates to wood species have asserted that maple necks are brighter than mahogany (+rosewood) necks. In fact, insofar as tonality is related to wood, much more emphasis is generally placed upon neck wood than body wood.

This leads me to the roundabout question of why, if Les Paul the man desired an all maple Les Paul body for his namesake instrument, when thwarted in that idea, didn't settle for having a maple neck and fretboard?

Imagine a 1958 Les Paul with a maple neck and fretboard. Is such an idea blasphemy, genius . . . . or Agile?

Gee, I thought Les wanted the whole thing made out of Mahogany.
Partscaster
Reactions:

I thought Gibson got Les's ideal backwards, as if he wanted a maple body with a mahogany cap, but Gibson got it backwards in the shop.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Partscaster
Reactions:

Back on track, I remember the maple fretboard on Oceanbursts, but maybe only with humbuckers.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Chocol8
Reactions:

I think TMC is correct. The LP was initially going to be all maple but it weighed a ton. I am not sure if that was Les' preference or Gibson's. I don't think Les had very much influence on the guitar the bore his name.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:49 am
mickey wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:24 am I'd guess it is someone's custom order from back when Kurt was taking custom orders.
Yeah, you are kind. He was not good at at taking the orders or delivering the orders. He was good at holding my cash in his account accumulating interest for the year though.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:49 am
Tonray's Ghost wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:49 am
Yeah, you are kind. He was not good at at taking the orders or delivering the orders. He was good at holding my cash in his account accumulating interest for the year though.
The 'Tonebender' episode is generally regarded as the point Rondo Guitars 'Jumped the shark'
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

Maple Neck/freboard was fairly common back in the day in the 2xxx line. That exact guitar in the OP https://www.rondomusic.com/product9764.html
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:55 am The 'Tonebender' episode is generally regarded as the point Rondo Guitars 'Jumped the shark'
I agree whole-heartedly.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
dabbler
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:37 am Maple Neck/freboard was fairly common back in the day in the 2xxx line. That exact guitar in the OP https://www.rondomusic.com/product9764.html
You are so right!

And how did I miss that guitar when it was being sold????

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. :lol:
Chocol8
Reactions:

dabbler wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:13 pm You are so right!

And how did I miss that guitar when it was being sold????

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. :lol:
The odd 2500 combos were generally only available for a brief period. I would guess that a lot of them were just a handful in a single batch.
artandsoul
Reactions:
Gearlist: sx callisto cus ds tobacco quilt, A2 probuckers.
sx hawk car p90 all stock.
agile al3200 purple black quilt, all stock.
jet city 50w 6l6 warren hanes mod
jet city 100w ltd el34 warren hanes mod
big knob pedals color jumbo, behringer super fuzz, joyo dig tuner, black arts toneworks lstr
412 eminence swamp thang egnater cabinet

The maple neck is nice! I had the same one ocean burst maple neck but in humbuckers that i swapped to p94 humbucker size p90s it was very clean sounding and nice! Im sure it will sound crisp and snappy and still have some grit for overdrive the p90s are hard to beat.

Anytime I research a older agile i just search for the model name close as I can on google. Sometimes I have to look at images but 95% I find it and usually on an old rondo link. So glad the old rondo links are there to show them , Im really surprised there even still online.. heres the same model on rondo but a b stock. AGILE AL-2500 MN OCEANBURST FLAME P90

https://www.rondomusic.com/product9764.html
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
artandsoul
Reactions:
Gearlist: sx callisto cus ds tobacco quilt, A2 probuckers.
sx hawk car p90 all stock.
agile al3200 purple black quilt, all stock.
jet city 50w 6l6 warren hanes mod
jet city 100w ltd el34 warren hanes mod
big knob pedals color jumbo, behringer super fuzz, joyo dig tuner, black arts toneworks lstr
412 eminence swamp thang egnater cabinet

uwmcscott wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:37 am Maple Neck/freboard was fairly common back in the day in the 2xxx line. That exact guitar in the OP https://www.rondomusic.com/product9764.html
Lol I posted the same link now I see your post above duh Im late to the party but thank rondo for leaving the 10 year old links up!
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
Partscaster
Reactions:

Back off-track, some text from Wiki regarding early LP . Likely, there were several early conceptions bandied about.

"McCarty stated that design discussions with Les Paul were limited to the tailpiece and the fitting of a maple cap over the mahogany body for increased density and sustain, which Les Paul had requested reversed. However, this reversal would have caused the guitar to become too heavy, and Paul's request was refused."
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Turns out it was not that unusual...waiting for the Trini Lopez model with F-hole, and Fender orange tinted neck and headstock. :)
tonebender
Reactions:

For me, a Les Paul should not have a maple fretboard and a Tele should not have a rosewood or ebony board. Although I could probably live with an ebony board on a Tele.