Whats your' latest gear acquisition?

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
notme
Reactions:

Ordered this off amazon for $169 shipped, IYV IP350.
Pleasantly surprised how good it is. Only thing i can pic on is a few mildly rough frets, on the crown (the ends are really good). I have a lot more confidence buying from amazon over firefly/guitars garden. They sent me a green lp by mistake, it was nice as well but wanted a prs style instead. Easy peasy return and exchange.
Attachments
20220702_122510.jpg
tobijohn
Reactions:

notme wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:56 pm Ordered this off amazon for $169 shipped, IYV IP350.
Pleasantly surprised how good it is. Only thing i can pic on is a few mildly rough frets, on the crown (the ends are really good). I have a lot more confidence buying from amazon over firefly/guitars garden. They sent me a green lp by mistake, it was nice as well but wanted a prs style instead. Easy peasy return and exchange.
IYV is based in Viet Nam, aren't they?

EDIT: Yes, they are...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
jtcnj
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:42 pm Bootstrap pickups.

I can't see how he is making any profit. I mean, i buy wire in 5lb spools to save. If you want heavy build or plain enamel, it is about $300-400 spool. I buy forbon fiber for strat and tele bobbins and get 40 to 60 sets at a time to get the discount. Same with magnets, you have to buy in bulk to get any discount. 100- to 500 pieces. After all that is done, i have a good idea what it cost me to make a set, not even counting my labor. Then you need screws, springs, tubing, wire, covers, baseplates, wax, beeswax, boxes to ship. Not counting any investment in tools, meters, winders, tensioners, waxpot.

Only reasonable thing i can figure is buy Chinese sets, unspool the wire and rewind. Or don't even rewind, just have them made. Then you might make $10 set.
Thats a good point; I have no idea.
I just received a tele set, will install them this weekend in a $90. Monoprice / Indo Tele.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
jtcnj
Reactions:

Lamf77 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:07 am Well...I totally forgot I had ordered this last week! ZUWEI Custom Shop Series TL. Someone on a Facebook Forum grabbed one and raved about it. Were $289 and when they dropped to $260 I almost pulled the trigger. Then a week ago they dropped to $199! Sold! Arrived well boxed in a styrofoam container....cooler density, not cheap. Came with thin gig back and truss rod adjustment instructions. Set "roasted maple" neck, and excellent build quality. I can not find any issues. Neck is a bit chunkier than I am used to. Reminds me of the old SX Natural Strat I sold years ago. I discovered later these are a Fender Merle Haggard "clone".
Picture of the real deal and link....it's pretty accurate copy!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... r-sunburst
@Lamf77
What do you think of this after having it a (short) while?
Is the neck back angle right compared to the range of action height raising / lowering the saddles?

I just got an email - the one color is $199 right now.

I might bite, but I have another Firefly enroute, due by Friday.
tobijohn
Reactions:

Not yet but I'm thinking hard about it as it's one of the few remaining guitars on my bucket list:

Gretsch G5232LH DuoJet in Saphire Blue. I think this is the first time Gretsch offered a lefty DuoJet in at least a few decades, if ever. Eastwood has or did have a copy for not much less.

It's listed at $700 by all the usual online sources. and because it's a new model, it will probably be a while before any b-stocks or demos become available and I doubt more than $100 would be knocked off the price of those. I got an offer from a big eBay seller for $630 so do I want to wait who knows how long to save $30? It seems I'm a sucker for double cutaway guitars....
Attachments
Gretsch G5232 DuoJet.png
Mr. Leyvatone
Reactions:
Gearlist: 5 Agiles, 5 SX, assorted other guitars and gear.

A drum kit!

My gf and I have been hosting jam parties. Also, I’ve been jamming with my neighbor and his son about once per week. So we decided it would be beneficial to have our own drum kit because:
1. It was the last missing piece from having a full backline.
2. I’ve always wanted to learn to drum. (In my usual approach, I don’t really want to take lessons, but would definitely need regular access to a kit to get my coordination down.)

I considered rolling to Guitar Center (which I mistakenly called Guitar Spender one time…she never lets me forget that), then realized the better plan was to purchase a used kit from any of my drummer buddies with surplus gear. I mean, drummers are probably as bad as we are with GAS, right??

That was the right idea. My buddy, a wicked pro drummer, was looking to thin the herd. I got a stellar kit, all the hardware, sticks, a throne, and he came and set it all up for me and walked me through kit basics. This is some well loved and carefully curated gear that a very good musician is willing to sell to me. The high hats are something he’s had and looked after since 1979! It really is a privilege to be the home for this kit now.

I volunteered to give him $100 more than he was asking. We both were happy with the deal!

It’s already served duty at two jam events, and I am having a great time muddling through the learning. The hours melt by when I am “studying”.
20D50521-B8D4-471B-A3CC-C50005DA1B74.jpeg
solteroblues
Reactions:

I've bought a few things lately ranging from bargain basement to wallet crushers, I'll eventually get around to posting a NGD thread or two. I got a really nice PRS 594 with a 1-piece quilted top. Then I thought, why not a new amp? So I bought a used Blackstar HT-1R, and then I got the new Valeton GP200, a bargain Helix knock-off. Love the 594 and Valeton, the Blackstar sounds like it has a fuzz pedal in front, too fizzy for me, so it's probably going to be sold.
golem
Reactions:

Bought a punch of pedals that were on sale or used for crazy good prices. Couldn't pass up:

Pedalworx New York OD (may be a previous iteration of the pedal in the demo as it has a similar layout and description). Bought for $40 cash.

Not my favorite brand but I couldn't argue with the price

Already trying to flip this one. I don't hate it

Rollin Hand
Reactions:

This is going in my Jackson SD22 JB. A Jack Butler guitar should NOT have a Super Distortion in it.
20220709_103715.jpg
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
voodoorat
Reactions:

Got this for 50 on local market. No idea how to use it really. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

voodoorat wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:23 pm Got this for 50 on local market. No idea how to use it really. Image
I think you have to shave all that excess wood off the neck, then mount wings to the lower bout to approximate a body. It might be how neck through guitars are born.
voodoorat
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:43 pm
voodoorat wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:23 pm Got this for 50 on local market. No idea how to use it really. Image
I think you have to shave all that excess wood off the neck, then mount wings to the lower bout to approximate a body. It might be how neck through guitars are born.
thanks! i might have to adjust the truss too, action is a little high..
Partscaster
Reactions:

Incoming !!!!!!

Keeley Halo
( andy timmons dual echo)

[url]
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Partscaster
Reactions:

Ordered another pedal.

Will take some weeks as they build to order.
Its a Missing Link Audio Peacock Overdrive
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (11.38 KiB) Viewed 1763 times

[url]
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
glasshand
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:38 am Ordered another pedal.

Will take some weeks as they build to order.
Its a Missing Link Audio Peacock Overdrive
Let us know how it is! I've been semi-seriously thinking about a Magician from MLA.
Mr. Leyvatone
Reactions:
Gearlist: 5 Agiles, 5 SX, assorted other guitars and gear.

New Buddha Day!

The Custombuckers that came in my 355 were Shrill City. So I didn’t hesitate to reach out to our @Buddha Pickups buddy Tim for some help.

He had some gold cover Leyvabuckers at my door within a couple of weeks. Then I had to exhibit Buddha-like calm as I waited SIX WEEKS for them to be installed.

I love working on guitars and can easily swap pups, but this is a special specimen of a guitar so I preferred to trust it to a local shop that does a lot of work and works on high-end gear a lot. They also happen to have some of the nicest vintage gear for sale. Take a browse: https://mmguitarbar.com/

Here’s a pic of the pups installed. I tried to capture the lacquer checking that the Murphy Lab treatment gives.
224D5337-B54A-4952-8260-2450D23F692B.jpeg
tobijohn
Reactions:

Mr. Leyvatone wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:25 pm New Buddha Day!

The Custombuckers that cane in my 355 were Shrill City. So I didn’t hesitate to reach out to our @Buddha Pickups buddy Tim for some help.

If those are the same Custombuckers that are in my Gibon R7 GT, I don't get it as they're some of the best pickups I've ever heard. You might want to list them as they go for big bucks...
golem
Reactions:

Picked up one of these used for $150 today. Rob was cool enough to help improve the setup a bit and spray some deoxit in the pots.I don't think I've ever bought a better guitar at this kind of price, even before inflation. Also came with one of those interface things for the iPhone, an extra set of strings, and a guitar stand.

Not an insane deal, but something just over 40% what these typically go for used plus I got some extras. If you want a singlecut that's thinner, lighter, with a slimmer and wider neck, you ought to at least consider one of these.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I have always liked those, but for some reason haven't bought one. Hmmmm......
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
slowhand84
Reactions:

Couldn't resist another stunning Harley Benton Fusion II when I came across it...beautiful veneer and the flame neck looks to be almost as crazy as my wildest (and favorite) Benton Fusion T.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-16 9.13.21 PM.png
Partscaster
Reactions:

Just bought four Buddha single coils! Yay!
jtcnj
Reactions:

Firefly FFJA - first Jazzmaster type for me.
Plays really well, everything works well, good fretwork. Trem stays in tune! Nut slots need just a little tuning, pickups pretty bland.
Got a set of Bootstrap Lake Surfers ordered for it.

A littler heavier than my liking at @8.5lbs, but balances perfectly standing.

I like it a lot, but the color is much yellower than the site pics.
Might paint it more antique white / light creme, but I dont hate it.
looks even MORE yellow in my dining room lighting.
20220708_145745-2.jpg
20220724_183127-2.jpg
20220724_183131-2.jpg
20220724_183144-2.jpg
tobijohn
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:30 am Just bought four Buddha single coils! Yay!
Four single coils? What's the story there?
Partscaster
Reactions:

one a5 set, plus an extra a3 Tim had on hand thrown in for extra 15$.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

jtcnj wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:12 pm Firefly FFJA - first Jazzmaster type for me.
I like it a lot, but the color is much yellower than the site pics.
Might paint it more antique white / light creme, but I dont hate it.
looks even MORE yellow in my dining room lighting.
I like the bold yellow. I just think it could look better with literally any other pick guard color. Overall, really cool.