Feeler: EVM-12L & Celestion Classic Lead 80 Speakers

andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

I may be selling one of two great speakers:

- Electro Voice EVM-12L from 1979, re-coned by me in 1996 (I was a factory repairman for EV at the time). Many call it the 'worlds greatest guitar speaker.' Required to get the Zakk Wyld sound. 80Hz to 7.5kHz (+ or - 10dB variance), for 100dB at 1w sensitivity (highly responsive for a high watt rated speaker). Rated at 300w RMS and 8 Ohms. 16lbs (heavy) with a cast aluminum frame. The original cone was not destroyed by use, but the original owner accidentally yanked the terminal lead and broke the voice coil. Even in PA systems, these are very hard to blow-up. I currently have this in my AMI Lil Giant, which is in the Boogie Mk1 / Dumble territory (housed in a Princeton cab). My opinion: it sounds great for getting close to a 4x12 tone with a single 12" in an open back cab. You have to be careful with the bright controls or presence controls compared with typical Celestion or Eminence speakers. In a closed-back cab, it can be a ground shaker. Very sensitive to the amp's controls. New models sell for $250 and old ones of this era are off the hook expensive. If I sell, my Reverb price will start at $350 delivered and AGF will be $225 delivered.

- Celestion Super Lead 80 from 1991: Celestion's response to the EVM-12L, with the British top-end. 80Hz to 5kHz (+ or - 10dB variance), for 100dB at 1w sensitivity (still a very sensitive speaker). Rated at 80w RMS and 8 Ohms. 10 lbs., standard steel chassis. My opinion: One of my favorites.
Reminiscent of a Celesion 12H-75 with a bit more mid-forward 'lead' tone. Currently loaded in a closed-back 1-12" cab for my AMI Blonde (like a fawn Vox), but I also have a Marshall 4x12 loaded with these. I get compliments on the 4x12 all time. Both cabs effortlessly fit into a band mix. If I sell, the Reverb price will be $90 delivered and AGF will be $65.

Why am I considering selling? My AMI Blonde (12w) just sounds better with Alnico speakers, so I just ordered a Vox-Celestion Alnico Blue for it. I will A/B the Classic Lead 80 to the EVM-12L in my AMI Lil Giant and choose the one that sound best in that amp. I have a bunch of speakers that have been in storage, some for 25 years and I think it is time to let them be loved by someone else.

Thoughts?
Live life to the fullest! - Rob