Footswitch for Fender Princeton Reverb/Vibrato?

tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

I've now tossed two Fender-brand "classic" two-button switches (one's wiring was repaired by a band mate but broke again). I purchased what I think is a slightly more durable alternative but the vibrato "heartbeat" can be heard through the reverb tank when it is supposed to be "off."

Could the leaking vibrato sound be a shielding issue with the cable? I have it packed for return but thought that I'd wait for a response from someone here before I do.
TRS shield info.jpg
switch and cable.jpg
My amp has a TRS jack, not the RCA plugs.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
mozz
Reactions:

I'm gonna say the wires inside aren't separately shielded so the reverb is picking up the vibrato signal.
AGF refugee
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

^ my thoughts. I am also thinking the manufacturer may have a big (1M - 3M ohm) bypass resistor across the switch, to combat 'pop.' That might be enough leak to ground for the Vibrato to sub-oscillate when it is switched 'off.'

To Mozz' point, the vintage footswitch pedals have a lead inside a grounded-braided shield for the reverb and next to the shield, a lead for the vibrato. All that is enclosed in a plastic casing. So, the vibrato signal doesn't induct the reverb lead.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
mozz
Reactions:

Yeah, i just built 2 of these and just looked at the schematic, the reverb switch wire goes right to the grid of the recovery tube, so it is bound to pick up any signals placed near it. I'm wondering if anybody makes a shielded cable with the outside traveler wire. Or you would need a dual coax wire in 1 jacket, yet still be flexible.

2 separate footswitches would work but that's a pain. If i were you, i would just unplug the reverb to leave it on all the time and adjust to suit. If that wouldn't work this is factory switch for $36
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... footswitch
AGF refugee
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

mozz wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:56 pm Yeah, i just built 2 of these and just looked at the schematic, the reverb switch wire goes right to the grid of the recovery tube, so it is bound to pick up any signals placed near it. I'm wondering if anybody makes a shielded cable with the outside traveler wire. Or you would need a dual coax wire in 1 jacket, yet still be flexible.

2 separate footswitches would work but that's a pain. If i were you, i would just unplug the reverb to leave it on all the time and adjust to suit. If that wouldn't work this is factory switch for $36
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... footswitch
Thanks, guys. I have been playing sans switch for a month now. Reverb is always on and I leave the tremelo knobs at 0 unless I want to dial some up.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO