Harley Benton GS Travel guitar

pdcorlis
Reactions:

Has anyone tried one of these small inexpensive guitars from our friends across the seas? It’s a knock-off of the Taylor travel guitar. The mahogany body and V neck look interesting - along with the price tag...

Thanks for any help.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_ben ... hogany.htm
dabbler
Reactions:

Never bought any acoustics from 'em, but the quality on every Harley Benton bass and guitar that I HAVE bought has been great!
honyock
Reactions:

Keep telling myself to get one to replace the GS Mini I sold to get my 414CE, but the new shipping makes it tough pill to swallow buying like I used to.

Can't buy multiple things under the €35 (or whatever it was) flat rate shipping. Even 1 guitar is like $67 when I last checked on the B stock roasted maple neck tele they had earlier this week.
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
mickey
Reactions:

I really do not understand shipping these days.

I have a piece of equipment enroute from China as I type this.
Think something the size/weight of a small amp (like a Fender Champ.)
It left Hong Kong this afternoon via DHL.
Supposed to be here next Wednesday.
Co$t me $15 for shipping.

I have another that left Blairsville, GA Tuesday afternoon at 3:45 pm
It got to Atlanta at 2:11 am this morning.
Supposed to get here Saturday.
Co$t me $18 shipping.

Blairsville is a 2 hour drive to Atlanta.
Gandalf the Intonationer
pdcorlis
Reactions:

Thanks guys - I had not seen the new revised shipping from Thomann, I was assuming it was like the good old days. $67 shipping? Well that’s a deal killer. Too bad...
honyock
Reactions:

mickey wrote:I really do not understand shipping these days.

I have a piece of equipment enroute from China as I type this.
Think something the size/weight of a small amp (like a Fender Champ.)
It left Hong Kong this afternoon via DHL.
Supposed to be here next Wednesday.
Co$t me $15 for shipping.

I have another that left Blairsville, GA Tuesday afternoon at 3:45 pm
It got to Atlanta at 2:11 am this morning.
Supposed to get here Saturday.
Co$t me $18 shipping.

Blairsville is a 2 hour drive to Atlanta.
Shipping stuff out of China is cheap because they subsidize that stuff...

I can air freight a 700lb injection mold from Shanghai for about the same cost as sending that same size from MA to AZ...

If you have the right DHS codes you can also get around the extra tariffs that some of my customers have been able to find as loop holes...
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
voodoorat
Reactions:

i sold my gs-mini a while back and recently sold the travel guitar i'd bought to replace it (fender paramount pm-te) and bought a cheap orangewood oliver jr b-stock. it's more what i had in mind getting travel guitars, something i'd be comfortable taking camping and if a bear ate it whatever. obviously not the same tier as the gs mini but i like it better than the fender on balance.
mickey
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:36 pm

I can air freight a 700lb injection mold from Shanghai for about the same cost as sending that same size from MA to AZ...

If you have the right DHS codes you can also get around the extra tariffs that some of my customers have been able to find as loop holes...
This is my first experience with DHL & thus far, I'm impressed!
They got the package Wednesday in Guangdong (or some such weird sounds) China and moved it to Hong Kong to go thru customs.
It left Hong Kong Thursday (and thanks to the international date line) arrived in Cincinnati just before midnight where it went thru customs.
Friday it left Cincinnati for Atlanta for sorting, left Atlanta for Kenner, Louisiana & got on a truck in Kenner heading East
Hopefully for delivery soon! :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
honyock
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:10 am
honyock wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:36 pm

This is my first experience with DHL & thus far, I'm impressed!
They got the package Wednesday in Guangdong (or some such weird sounds) China and moved it to Hong Kong to go thru customs.
It left Hong Kong Thursday (and thanks to the international date line) arrived in Cincinnati just before midnight where it went thru customs.
Friday it left Cincinnati for Atlanta for sorting, left Atlanta for Kenner, Louisiana & got on a truck in Kenner heading East
Hopefully for delivery soon! :D
They did very efficient work right up to the point it got handed off to Customs and/or USPS when they were doing the Thomann shipments to the US...
mickey
Reactions:

Incidentally, I received it this morning! :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
fatjack
Reactions:

No Pics no guitar. And how does it sound?
fatjack
Reactions:

For $100 more this one caught my eye. It's hard to find a lefty 000 that isn't priced like a Martin.https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_ben ... 5me_lh.htm
mickey
Reactions:

fatjack wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:41 pm For $100 more this one caught my eye. It's hard to find a lefty 000 that isn't priced like a Martin.https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_ben ... 5me_lh.htm
You ain't wrong! I have a 000 Martin & you won't be sorry you got a Martin 000! :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
doc-knapp
Reactions:

I bought a Harley Benton acoustic two years ago. Sorry to say, that it was a great disappointment. Unlike their electrics, it came with a ton of problems. Acoustics made at too low a price point really usually aren't very good. It's not like getting a cheap electric and upgrading the pickups and new strings, and all of a sudden it's a much better guitar. I've found many a great electric guitar at the $150 price point, but every acoustic I bought for under $300 was a piece of junk. There are some good acoustics that do start at $300. I strongly recommend you look at Seagull and Breedlove. Between $300-500 you can find some real quality.
pdcorlis
Reactions:

Thanks Doc - word to the wise no doubt.
Mossman
Reactions:

doc-knapp wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:43 am I bought a Harley Benton acoustic two years ago. Sorry to say, that it was a great disappointment. Unlike their electrics, it came with a ton of problems. Acoustics made at too low a price point really usually aren't very good. It's not like getting a cheap electric and upgrading the pickups and new strings, and all of a sudden it's a much better guitar. I've found many a great electric guitar at the $150 price point, but every acoustic I bought for under $300 was a piece of junk. There are some good acoustics that do start at $300. I strongly recommend you look at Seagull and Breedlove. Between $300-500 you can find some real quality.
I agree... When it comes to acoustics, I'm pretty iffy about going too cheap, but those two brands do pretty well at that price-point (though I have to say, the import Breedloves haven't been impressing me as much in recent years). I would also add Yamaha and import Guilds to that short list. You just can't go wrong with a Yamaha at any price, and my Guild D-240E is a surprisingly good guitar for just $400.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO