NHGD!

Post here your newest acquisitions and reviews of them.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Yes, I finally landed one of the Eart guitars.

20220108_143714.jpg
20220108_164238.jpg
20220108_164353.jpg
20220108_164243.jpg
I picked it up yesterday. The good:
- Nice neck. Think Fender moden C with a flatter radius;
- Lovely stainless fretwork, with nicely rounded fret ends;
- Looks great, if you're into that sort of thing, which I am. My son said it is "sick, bruh!";
- Light weight and VERY resonant with great sustain -- feels alive in my hands;
- Very comfortable to play;
- Stays in tune really well.

The bad:
- The knobs aren't original;
- The jack seems to be a bit sensitive to pressure and can cut out if you nudge it -- easy fix;
- The pickups sound like they have a blanket over them -- they're not bad, just muffled. I need to check out the electronics. New pots could work wonders;
- The action is a bit high, which is fixable with adjustments/shims;
- My son says things are "sick, bruh!"

Then there is the big bad, which is that the truss rod seems to be fully tightened, and there is still a little relief. I'll check it again as it gets more acclimated to my basement. Perhaps lighter strings can help. At any rate, I like having a little relief, so all good.

All in all, I like it. Next step is to secure the appropriate stainless steel and hardened steel fasteners to replace the stuff it came with and bring out the best of what it has.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
bc rich
Reactions:

Congrats , thats sick Bro
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

bc rich wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:13 pm Congrats , thats sick Bro
Now you're just yanking my chain.

I took off the back cavity cover and, yep, there are electronics in there. It all looks fine, and the pots say they are 500K pots (full-sized, no less), so there goes my theory that the pots were the wet blanket over the pickups.

I guess I'll need to consider better pickups down the line.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
Bullcat
Reactions:

Dude, what a top that's wicked!
Joined AGF May 11, 2015
Milkman
Reactions:

Nice score!
"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Bullcat wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:00 pm Dude, what a top that's wicked!
Poplar burl is awesome looking. I have also seen flamed poplar, which was nice too.

This thing half has me thinking of a poplar burl veneer for the Flying V kit I got for my birthday.
- Ron Swanson
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Lots of work but the payoff will be big.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Yes, but so would plan A, involving Duplicolor Metalcast.

Think dark green sparkles....
- Ron Swanson
Tiga
Reactions:

That's pretty cool - never owned a headless guitar but see the appeal. Hopefully someday. I keep reading on how nice the fretwork is on the EART models.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

The fretwork is very nice.

I spent some time on lowering the action last night. Still needs more, and I think there is more room, but we might be getting into the realm of shimming the neck. If I can get some hardened/stainless screws together soon, I'll dive in to the bridge and a full setup. The problem is I need to pull some screws out to measure, which could put it out of commission for a little while.

Also, this thing is easy to play. I can pull stuff off cleanly on this guitar that I can't on others.
- Ron Swanson
jam
Reactions:

That does look pretty cool. Nice!
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

jam wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:04 am That does look pretty cool. Nice!
Thanks! It's rapidly becoming a favourite. Just need to work out a couple details.

I got the strings lower, and it is brightening a tad. I will likely need to shim the neck to get the action a hair lower.

And once I get my assortment of improved fasteners, it should per up a bit more.
- Ron Swanson