My first NGD in a few years.

Post here your newest acquisitions and reviews of them.
mickey
Reactions:

Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro.
"Pre-owned, but new to me! :D

PeMaMT-06.jpg

PeMaMT-10.jpg

PeMaMT-05.jpg

PEMaMT-13.jpg

Yes, it is an acoustic/electric. The Kent Armstrong pickup is floating (does not touch the top of the guitar)
Top is solid spruce, back/sides/neck solid maple.
Scale length is the same as a Les Paul & the neck is 1 3/4" at the nut.
String height is lower at the first fret than any guitar I've ever played that does not have a zero fret.

The body is the same size as an SX GG7 but slightly thinner.

Where I got it. I've bought several guitars from Jerry & have always come away happy. :D

Now go away while I try to wear it out! :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
slowhand84
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:02 pm Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro.
"Pre-owned, but new to me! :D

PeMaMT-06.jpg

PeMaMT-10.jpg

PeMaMT-05.jpg

PEMaMT-13.jpg

Yes, it is an acoustic/electric. The pickup is floating (does not touch the top of the guitar)

Now go away while I try to wear it out! :D
Sweet grab Mickey! I've played a bunch of Peerless guitars, very well built instruments. Throw some clips up here when you can, thing probably sounds great :).
mickey
Reactions:

Well, here is what one sounds like in the hands of Martin Taylor:

Gandalf the Intonationer
honyock
Reactions:

Beautiful guitar

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Tiga
Reactions:

Looks great- congratulations!
glasshand
Reactions:

Whoa! Rather nicer than the archtop I own, to put it mildly...
mickey
Reactions:

glasshand wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:47 pm Whoa! Rather nicer than the archtop I own, to put it mildly...
But it probably co$t a few dollars more. :mrgreen:

How did the new bridge work out?
Gandalf the Intonationer
Partscaster
Reactions:

That seems like a really nice guitar.
Now I can answer to Mossman's "What Guitar Do You Want" thread, although not "just because".
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
TVvoodoo
Reactions:

That there is what I call a real "Fancy Man" guitar. Not for playing crazy train
Congrats, really beautiful, furniturey even
Endless source of eye-rolling dad jokes, aspiring empty-nester, custom strap-maker https://reverb.com/ca/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories
Mossman
Reactions:

That looks beautiful... I've never heard of Martin Taylor before, so the thread title confused me at first. I was thinking: "Well is it a Martin or a Taylor??" But when I saw it, I could see that it was neither, and checked the specs on Jerry's website. It's interesting that it has a burst on the back and sides, but not the top. I don't think I've ever seen that before.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
glasshand
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:46 pm
glasshand wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:47 pm Whoa! Rather nicer than the archtop I own, to put it mildly...

No doubt! The new bridge works pretty well but the action is still really high even with the bridge lowered as far as it can go. I have read that older archtops were generally constructed with little or no neck angle, so the bridge had to be a lot lower. That may also explain why the slots on the original wooden bridge were cut (what I would consider) crazy deep.
mickey
Reactions:

glasshand wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:29 pm
mickey wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:46 pm

No doubt! The new bridge works pretty well but the action is still really high even with the bridge lowered as far as it can go. I have read that older archtops were generally constructed with little or no neck angle, so the bridge had to be a lot lower. That may also explain why the slots on the original wooden bridge were cut (what I would consider) crazy deep.
As old as that Harmony is, it is possible it needs a neck reset which is not a job for the faint of heart! I don't remember ever hearing of anyone doing it to an archtop?
Gandalf the Intonationer
mickey
Reactions:

Mossman wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:10 pm That looks beautiful... I've never heard of Martin Taylor before, so the thread title confused me at first. I was thinking: "Well is it a Martin or a Taylor??" But when I saw it, I could see that it was neither, and checked the specs on Jerry's website. It's interesting that it has a burst on the back and sides, but not the top. I don't think I've ever seen that before.
I should imagine Martin has taken a bit of kidding over the years because of his name. :)
He is probably the best living jazz player in the world today.
It is the only guitar I've ever seen with sunburst back & sides but not on the top, guess that was something Martin specified?
Guess I should have put this pic in my OP?

PeMaMT-03.jpg
Gandalf the Intonationer
OMB
Reactions:

Pretty and I am sure quite well made.
Central Floriduh Ain't it Grand!
glasshand
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:22 am As old as that Harmony is, it is possible it needs a neck reset which is not a job for the faint of heart! I don't remember ever hearing of anyone doing it to an archtop?
It's definitely a thing people do. I'm trying to figure out how you tell if one is needed, though. The angle looks normal.
Mossman
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:28 am I should imagine Martin has taken a bit of kidding over the years because of his name. :)
It is the only guitar I've ever seen with sunburst back & sides but not on the top, guess that was something Martin specified?
I can see why you wanted one of his sigs... THIS sounds frickin' awesome!:

Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
mickey
Reactions:

Mossman wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:44 am

Yep, it is a guitar that responds wonderfully to fingerpicking but not well to picks.
It is the easiest guitar I've ever played to do jazz chords on!
It can make me or you sound nearly that good! :lol:
Gandalf the Intonationer
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

Congrats @mickey that is one fine looking instrument.
UrenragK
Reactions:

That is a thing of beauty Mickey, congrats!
jtcnj
Reactions:

Congrats on a fine instrument!
they make it look to easy.
The quality of that instrument would certainly be lost on me banging out ACDC song chords.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Love the floating pickup....was considering an Ibanez George Benson model with a floating mini HB...but of course my stimulus payment did not quite go that far
mickey
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:13 pm Love the floating pickup....was considering an Ibanez George Benson model with a floating mini HB...but of course my stimulus payment did not quite go that far
All I can really tell you about the pickup (aside from it is floating) is that it is made by Kent Armstrong & I like it.:D
Gandalf the Intonationer
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

That is nice!! A tone machine. Congrats and HNbelatedGD
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
peskypesky
Reactions:

Mossman wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:44 am
mickey wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:28 am I should imagine Martin has taken a bit of kidding over the years because of his name. :)

I don't know what's more insane: that tone or that playing. Wow!
Banned by Momo