PLAYING GUITAR BEHIND YOUR HEAD: COOL or ULTIMATE DOUCHEBAG MOVE?

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.

PLAYING GUITAR BEHIND THE HEAD?

Woooow! I'm so entertained and impressed by your prowess!
50%
You're a douchebag.
50%

Total votes: 8
toomanycats
Reactions:

I know Hendrix did it. I know Stevie Ray Vaughn also did it, undoubtedly as a referencing and homage to Jimi. I've seen Yngwie do it.

The real meaning of playing guitar over the head is this: "My virtuosic skills are such that I can handicap myself and still possess complete command of the instrument." It's like the circus performer throwing knives at a lady on a spinning wheel . . . and then he blindfolds himself. Jimi, Stevie, and Yngwie played guitar over the head in this spirit.

But what I'm referring to is people who do this move theatrically, as a gimmick, as a "look-at-me" gesture that's bereft of it's original significance as a demonstration of complete and utter mastery of the instrument, even when handicapped.

I remember watching this middle aged guy at a late afternoon gig in a grocery store playing guitar over his head, noodling some sloppy pentatonic crap, his shirt hiked up and his white belly hanging out over his belt. It was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. I also recently saw a young guy of mediocre skill doing this move at a bar gig. I think about how much time these guys spent looking at themselves in the mirror doing this ridiculous pose, time they could have better spent developing foundational technique and skills.

What say you? Is playing guitar behind the head cool, or is it indicative of an uber-douche? Vote in the poll above.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Partscaster
Reactions:

And, I believe that Jimi saw someone earlier do it. I cant recall who. But it was some regular on perhaps the Chitlin circuit. Its like juggling on a unicycle. If someone's good at it, thats worthy of applause. If they arent good, it degrades from the performance...but might be worth laughing at....if they're being a clown about it.

Then there's playing behind your back.
Then theres also playing with one's teeth.

My aim is to get good at playing behind my back with my teeth.
I'm gonna have to wait for full dentures , but then , I'm gonna make the other clowns cry.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
peskypesky
Reactions:

I did it the last time I played live and the audience loved it. You have to read the room.
Banned by Momo
peskypesky
Reactions:

now if I could just do a split:

Banned by Momo
peskypesky
Reactions:

I'm still working on this one:
Banned by Momo
peskypesky
Reactions:

and hey, if Bill Kirchen does it, it's cool:

Banned by Momo
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

It does not bother me. To use an analogy, it's like the females that are inclined to show the puppies. Not all puppies would win blue ribbons at the county fair but no matter, I was always appreciative they were willing to be a sport.

I have never played the guitar in that manner but I have to admit when I was much younger, I did the Chuck Berry duck walk a few times while covering Johnny B Goode or Nadine. I was much more agile back then.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

IMHO, anyone willing to get up on a stage and play in front of people has license to play however they like. If you don't like their moves, go to a different show ;-)
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
dabbler
Reactions:

One player's cool is another player's ___________

Different strokes for different folks.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Jimi also lit a guitar on fire, and played with his teeth. And neither of those was his original idea either. It's putting on a show, and whether or not anyone engages in the antics, it can just be part of the show. Nothing wrong with it. But I agree if you can't play well, you are wasting time embellishing the performance that way.
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

I can't do that but one time at practice I did the Angus convulse-on-the-floor move.

It killed.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
toomanycats
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:09 am I agree if you can't play well, you are wasting time embellishing the performance that way.
There's a word for it. It's called "cheesy," which means blatantly inauthentic.

Guy #1: Plays the first half of Steve Vai's "Eugenes's Trick Bag" with the guitar in front . . . then he puts it behind his head and proceeds to play the second half. Audience justifiably goes crazy. That's because they're informed and educated listeners, they know and appreciate what skill is required to accomplish such a feat, and that they've just witnessed an authentic demonstration of virtuosity. Paganini used to do something similar. He'd begin performing an impossibly technical piece, then purposefully break a string in the middle of it, then continue. Then he'd purposefully break another string, but he would continue. And so on until he had a single string left, with which he'd finish the piece. In terms of "stagecraft" the guitar behind the head thing is really a modern version of this 18th century "I'm making it harder on myself" exhibition of exemplary skill.

Guy #2: Puts a guitar over his head as a theatrical, attention grabbing, empty gesture that is completely abstracted from it's original symbolic meaning. Audience goes nuts because they've been cultivated to enjoy cheese.

But who am I to argue against cheese. Cheese = $. I'm just a quixotic malcontent living out of time in a world of dead symbols.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

I once tried a Pete Townshend 'windmill' but almost lost my balance and it looked more like a ballet pirouette.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

It's cheesy and been done to death but if you can do it, why not? After a few beers, the crowd will love it.

Side note: apparently at clinics, Paul Gilbert used to do sweep picking. With his teeth.

Degree of Difficulty: 5/5
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
MichaelR
Reactions:

I voted Douchbag but I don't feel that strongly about it, I just don't care for gimmicks like that myself. I remember seeing a video where a guy tried to spin his guitar around by the strap without having strap locks and watching it fly away and go crunch. Another good reason to gig with cheap guitars, the fail is at about 1.17 in the video.
golem
Reactions:

I'm a fan of Hendrix so you know what my vote is.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

I am less impressed with the guitar behind the head trick and more impressed by guys like Tim Pierce, Pete Thorn, Mike Hermans, Shawn Tubbs, etc. who rarely need to look at their fret board to play and who are instead, engaging with the audience.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:38 am I am less impressed with the guitar behind the head trick and more impressed by guys like Tim Pierce, Pete Thorn, Mike Hermans, Shawn Tubbs, etc. who rarely need to look at their fret board to play and who are instead, engaging with the audience.
I'm on an eye contact personal basis with my fret markers....we engage daily