THE ROMAN SPRING of toomanycats (UPDATE, NOV. 2023)

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
toomanycats
Reactions:

This is the band we're opening for at Apps and Taps on Friday night. They're called That Arena Rock Show.
R.135fc063c877c263400628b74e9502d0.jpeg

That guy on the far left looks like Traccii Gunns playing a Vivian Campbell signature Kramer Nightswan. The guy with the beard looks like Vinnie Paul from Pantera. The guy with the flying V looks like the leader of the band Steel Dragon from the movie Rock Star. The guy with the mic is definitely doing a Axl Rose thing. The bass player is the stereotypical tall, blonde dude holding down the bottom end . . . Eric Brittingham of Cinderella, Duff McKagen of GnR, Lonnie Mack from Bullet Boyz . . . he's that guy. This band is a semiotic mash up.

Rock and roll isn't a pose to me. Cool is a real thing. It's not just expressed in the music, but permeates everything about a performer, though not in a forced way. It must be effortless. Either you're cool or you're not. If somebody knew how to bottle cool and sell it they'd be a billionaire (I think that was the plot of an episode of Happy Days after it jumped the shark).

I've always felt like there were many members on this forum I could relate to in a unique way, in that we are roughly the same age, and that we share the same formative musical/cultural influences. Many of you, like myself, came of age as guitarist in the 70s or 80s, and your primary musical influences are rooted in the heavily blues influenced hard rock of the late 60s, which subsequently spawned bands like Aerosmith, and Van Halen, and later the entire L.A. scene which is now collectively referred to by the catch all phrase "Hair Metal." Some of you guys, like myself, actually lived this stuff, played in bands performing that music, know what it was like when guitar and hard rock topped the music charts, when videos on Headbanger's Ball were in the Top 10. If you were there then you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Assuming you're reading this and you share those same experiences, I ask that you humor my meandering, random contemplations regarding the irony, absurdity, and euphoria I feel as this Friday gig approaches.

Age matters. That's a cold hard fact.

I wonder how old the guys in That Arena Rock Show actually are. I'm guessing probably not old enough to have actually been there back in the 80s, not like I was. I was at the NYC clubs like Lamour's, The Cat Club, Webster Hall, The Limelight, and a dozen other places in Jersey and Long Island I can't even remember the names of. On the West coast I was at the Whiskey, Gazzari's, The Troubadour, The Rainbow, and so on around the same time. These venues were ground zero of that entire scene.

All the guys I'm playing with Friday are young, and youth matters. Do you want to see cheerleaders in their 50s? Of course not. Rock and roll has always been a young man's game. Think of your favorite albums by Zep, Van Halen, Sabbath, Skynyrd, and so on. You know what they all have in common? All the members were in their 20s when that stuff was created. Old guys don't make music like that. The smart ones had the sense to die young and spare their fans the fat, old, dead and bloated on the toilet scene. That's a big part of the thrill for me of playing with guys in their 20s. There is an energy there that is undeniable.

But I'm, well . . . let's just say "not young." Here I am playing songs primarily from around 1970 in a band with "kids" young enough to be my sons, opening for another band of "kids" who were probably born in the 90s that play music from the 80s.

The best comparison I can make to how I feel is the sense of disjointedness evoked by recently watching old episodes of Dr Who from the 70s on VHS. I feel like I'm time traveling in the TARTUS. In one program the Doctor has a dagger wielding stone age warrior chick from the future with him, traveling back to the Edwardian England to do battle with an Egyptian God on the planet Mars. Whatever . . . sometimes you've just got to go along with the crazy and enjoy the ride.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Totally enjoy that ride.

And personally, I am glad kids latch on to that music, even if it's for laughs. It keeps it alive. I loved seeing a South of Eden video where the guitar player was using a Peavey Wolfgang, and flying on it. The music is still vital and enjoyable if given a chance.

And what does it say yhat your band has a bunch of kids (toomanykittens?) playing songs from the 70s? It says that the music of our youth still strikes a chord, as it were.

In a related note, Motley Crue and gang sure seem to be packing them in on their tour. People love this stuff.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
toomanycats
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:42 pm Totally enjoy that ride.

And personally, I am glad kids latch on to that music, even if it's for laughs. It keeps it alive. I loved seeing a South of Eden video where the guitar player was using a Peavey Wolfgang, and flying on it. The music is still vital and enjoyable if given a chance.

And what does it say yhat your band has a bunch of kids (toomanykittens?) playing songs from the 70s? It says that the music of our youth still strikes a chord, as it were.

In a related note, Motley Crue and gang sure seem to be packing them in on their tour. People love this stuff.
Motley Crue is going to be here in Charlotte next Tuesday. I think my singer is going to the show, but he's upset that Tommy Lee is having to sit the show out due to broken ribs or something like that.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Have you heard the rumour about how Tommy broke his ribs? Hmmm?

The rumour as I read it (I have no substantiating info) is the Tommy was body shaming Vince, calling him things like "Vince Meal." So Vince football tackled Tommy into the drumset, making him feel every last one of those pounds.

Again, just a rumour.

I am interested to hear how Vince does. He was having a lot of vocal problems over the last couple of years. I hope he does a great job.

And I post this as a guy who needs to lose 100 pounds to get into bad shape.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Vince Meal, LOL. What grade are they in now?
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:14 pm Vince Meal, LOL. What grade are they in now?
That made me laugh too.

Of course, Tommy being a string bean makes it kind of mean.
- Ron Swanson
toomanycats
Reactions:

An update on the shows tonight.

It’s going to be hectic. The other three band members are delivering our P.A. to the second venue around 5:30 pm. Around that same time I'll be proceeding to the first venue to make contact with the stage manager and see what time we can start setting up. Remember, we’re just the opener for this gig, so we get what time they allot us. The good news is that there is a great house P.A. and professional sound guys. We start out one hour set at the first venue around 7:30, and we start our four hour gig at the second venue around 9:30. Like I said, it's gonna be frantic.

I’ve decided to supplement my rig tonight by adding a Marshall 4x12 cabinet to my usual 2X12. The 4X12 is being driven by a separate amp from the one driving the 2X12. Not only does adding this second cabinet make me sound much wider, but redundancy is important on a gig like this lest one amp was to fail.

What guitars to bring is a non issue. A Les Paul and a second back up Les Paul is always the answer.

There’s an equally important issue I’d appreciate some advice on: Leopard or black? Not sure which to go with tonight.

53F98C3A-D30A-4639-814B-745E6C7CADBA.jpeg
    7A205166-AD53-4873-8EA6-08BAA4C6825D.jpeg
    UrenragK
    Reactions:

Always leopard, always :)
    andrewsrea
    Reactions:
    Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

toomanycats wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:22 am
      An update on the shows tonight.

It’s going to be hectic. The other three band members are delivering our P.A. to the second venue around 5:30 pm. Around that same time I'll be proceeding to the first venue to make contact with the stage manager and see what time we can start setting up. Remember, we’re just the opener for this gig, so we get what time they allot us. The good news is that there is a great house P.A. and professional sound guys.

I’ve decided to supplement my rig tonight by adding a Marshall 4x12 cabinet to my usual 2X12. The 4X12 is being driven by a separate amp from the one driving the 2X12. Not only does adding this second cabinet make me sound much wider, but redundancy is important on a gig like this lest one amp was to fail.

What guitars to bring is a non issue. A Les Paul and a second back up Les Paul is always the answer.

There’s an equally important issue I’d appreciate some advice on: Leopard or black? Not sure which to go with tonight.

53F98C3A-D30A-4639-814B-745E6C7CADBA.jpeg

7A205166-AD53-4873-8EA6-08BAA4C6825D.jpeg
      If you are using a 2 amp rig on a pro stage, perform a trial run at home for:

1.) Polarity and phase shift. Unless your amps are identical models or circuits, you run a chance of a positive signal from your guitar being a positive speaker push in one amp and a 'pull' in the other (180 degrees out). The difference of one extra pre-amp stage can cause this.

2.) Earth-ground hum / loop. A simple earth -lift adapter for your second amp will fix this. It is safe if you are using a splitter or DI out from one amp to the power amp in on the other. Make sure you notify the stage electrician before doing this at the gig. He or she might have a ground lift as part of their system that they would rather use.
      Live life to the fullest! - Rob
      toomanycats
      Reactions:

It's Sunday morning, I'm having my coffee, and I'm now ready to relay my recollections of the events of Friday night. Ya know how I know I'm old now? It's taken me this long to recover from the marathon of Friday night.

Having learned on Friday afternoon that our start time was actually 8 o'clock, I arrived at Apps and Taps for soundcheck at 6:00 PM. The trailers for both the headliner and my band were backed up to the rear loading entrance. I started hauling my gear in, which took me three trips. The headliner had already done their soundcheck, so we proceeded to set up our backline in front of them onstage.

The guys in the band That Arena Rock Show were all milling around, dressed casually, by which I mean not in their stage cloths. I was already wearing my stage cloths. The guys in my band freaked out over my outfit, asking where I got such cool cloths, to which I bluntly responded, "The woman's rack at the thrift stores." Where did they think the New York Dolls, or Twisted Sister, or all the other bands had got their cloths? They made me promise to take them shopping with me. Sure, back in the day I used to go to Trash and Vaudeville and the other shops on 8th Steet in the Village to buy threads, but even back then I knew that the best and cheaper clothes were to be found combing thrift stores in the "boonies." I had friends who've since become world famous stylist who would take road trips to buy things at those places and then sell them at a 1000% or more mark up to their clients.

Once onstage I inspected the headliners backline and quickly recognized that the stacks of Marshall were actually just stage props, much oversized from real amps. I asked one of the guitar players what they really were playing through and he told me it was a Fractal unit. I asked if he was the guy who played the awesome Kramer Nightswan, and he replied that that was a previous member, the guy he had replaced in fact. He also showed me a guitar that smoked like Ace Frehley's.

My rig.
      8043E3CA-A905-4838-950E-F5C804CB2535.jpeg
      EEBD831E-666E-4A7D-93A2-F609D9917D2C.jpeg

After soundcheck before the doors opened. There was a line of people waiting out front.
      3DA9548A-47A7-47BD-AE00-1AAB209C3735.jpeg

After we did our soundcheck we had about an hour to chill out. The doors of the club weren't open yet, and the only people in the venue were band members, their road crews, and employees of the venue. The guys in That Arena Rock Show all sat together at a table eating their dinner. I was standing with a couple guys we had hired as roadies when a dude I recognized from the photos and videos of my band walked up to us. It was the bands former guitar player. He came straight up to me, asked if I was the new guitar player, to which I responded, "Yes." I acknowledged that I knew who he was. It was cordial, though at the same time a little awkward. It had been my understanding that he had quit the band of his own volition and moved out of State. When I spoke with other members of my band they told me they were equally confused by his being there.

The other guitarist in That Arena Rock Show approached me and asked if I was the guitar player in our band. He told me he was a Les Paul guy too, but wanted to show me a USA Custom BC Rich he was playing that night. I could tell that he was so proud of it. I don't know BC Rich models that well, but it was all black, LP style, neck through body, with an ebony board, a marker only at the 12th fret, maple binding, EMG 81/85 combo, and Imperial style tuners. It was a gorgeous guitar, quite heavy, a real man's instrument. I told him I had owned a Gunslinger model BC Rich back in the 80s, and he proceeded to rattle off all the BC Rich guitars he owned, adding that just a few weeks previous he had talked to Traccii Guns. He was clearly a serious BC Rich guy, in the same way that @PsychoCid is a Kramer guy. I really wished I had not only been able to see their show, but that I also had more time to talk with these guys, especially the guitar players. If I had to guess, I'd say they were maybe in their late twenties or maybe thirty.

About five minutes before we went onstage the four members of my band, including myself, congregated at the VIP bar for the pre game "pep rally," as I've done with so many bands. Every band has it's own rituals, a prayer, locking arms, what have you, but doing a shot together is a common rock and roll liturgy. It makes you feel loosey-goosey when hitting the stage. The former guitar player stood right next to us, just outside the periphery of our tight circle, interjecting an occasional comment. Again, it was a little bizarre. The bartender, who was a dead ringer for a young Debbie Harry . . . my God, what a living doll . . . poured out four shots of Fireball, one for each current band member, and we made a toast. I actually felt bad for the former guitar player. He was either having serious quitters remorse, or he was a voyeur, or a masochist. The other guys in my band were kinda ignoring him and seemed uneasy with his presence.

fullsizeoutput_e62.jpeg
      fullsizeoutput_e62.jpeg (41.33 KiB) Viewed 808 times
      290933276_149783040976338_1063550673564835258_n.jpg
      291408616_149779657643343_5730336598931667002_n.jpg

The very opening of our set was when my first Spinal Tap moment happened. The only entrance to the stage is up a stairway and across stage right, right where my gear was set up. My pedals, including the power chord to them, the guitar cable running into them, as well as two separate chords running to my two amps, were all right in the middle of where all the performers and techs trod across the stage. Being the opener, and knowing that as soon as finishing we had to immediately tear down and haul ass across town to our own headlining gig, we did not tape down anything. Everything had worked fine for me at soundcheck, and my tone with the two amps and my pedals was truly awesome. I had it dialed in so sweet, my Bogner Ecstasy Blue overdrive pedal pushing my amp until it sounded like the best hot rodded Plexi you've ever heard. But when we went into our opening number, which was "War Pigs," I had no sound. In about five seconds my mind raced through and eliminated every trouble shooting scenario: Standby on the amps was ON; my chord was plugged into the guitar; the volume on my guitar was turned up. I realized that there must be an interruption somewhere between the input of my pedalboard and the amps. Not having time to debug it, and with a crowd of people pushed up against the barricade and watching, I did the simplest fix I could, which was to plug straight from my guitar into my main amp. It worked and I was immediately back in business. It wasn't the "God tone" I had at soundcheck, I'd lost my tuner from the the signal path, and I wouldn't have my MXR Phase 90 for "Ice Cream Man," but the upside was that going straight into the 65 AMPS LONDON is the sound of a cranked hand wired Marshall JTM 45, so I'd be a putz to complain.

Our one hour set went by in blur. It was like I blinked and it was over. There were no other snafus during the actual performance and we got a great response from the audience.

The second Spinal Tap moment was a wardrobe malfunction. In the back of my mind I was worried that the leather pants I was wearing might rip open during the show. They were tight! They survived the performance, but during the Chinese fire drill (am I allowed to say that?) of tearing our gear down after the set, while kneeling down to unplug my chords, I felt a rip. I glanced down and realized that my balls were dangerously close to dangling out in front of the crowd in front of the stage. I carefully, gingerly finished packing me gear, walking oh-so-carefully to my vehicle, where during a final powerful heave hoisting one of my cabinets the crotch of the pants finally totally gave way. Luckily it was in a dark corner of the parking lot and nobody was there to see me exposed. Anticipating that scenario, I had brought a change of trousers, and quickly did a wardrobe swap in the front seat.

From there I followed a convoy of about five vehicles to our next gig.

The band That Arena Rock Show onstage immediately after us on Friday June 27th. Very cool guys, low key, no attitudes, professionals who understand what a rock show is all about. Thanks God there are young guys like this keeping the torch burning and showing the younger generation real rock and roll.
      arena .jpeg
      I'll continue the story in a bit, as I've got to go scoop a litter box and refill my coffee cup.
      toomanycats
      Reactions:

Part II

Our convoy arrived at the second venue, called Miciah's, around 9:45 PM. The manager at Miciah's knew we were coming from a previous gig at Apps and Taps and had moved our start time to 10 PM. To give an idea of the demographics, this venue is a stones throw from the Trump National Golf Course on Lake Norman. There was a Bentley parked right out front. Definitely not a dive bar . . . which don't get me wrong, I love too. There was a good sized crowd of patrons at the bar. Our soundman was already there with our PA set up. I had my gear hauled in and set up in about ten minutes. I pounded two glasses of ice water from the bar (I was super dehydrated), we quickly sound checked, and then we immediately began our show.

My tone was ideal at this second gig, just perfect; and if I don't mind saying so myself, I was in "the zone" with my playing. It was like the first gig had been a warm up. I was really stretching out, taking lots of chances, and landing on my feet, if ya know what I mean. The former guitar player had followed us to this gig and sat in a booth watching me. It didn't bother me. If anything, I felt bad for him, as I was killing it at this show and it was probably breaking his heart.

During a set break a guy who had been watching me closely from a corner of the bar came up to compliment me and ask if I gave guitar lessons. He was about my age and was the husband of the bar manager. I gave him my contact info.

Around midnight a huge influx of patrons entered the bar, many of them being faces I recognized from our opening gig at Apps and Taps. I'd been told that Miciah's was known as the late night place everybody went after the other clubs winded down, and apparently that was true.

I didn't get out of Miciah's until about 2 AM, and it was nearly 3 AM by the time I got home.

I'm still waiting for pics and video to surface and I'll post them here. I'm actually surprised that my bandmates, being as young as they are, haven't posted stuff. Is there a sub-set of millennials that have rejected the internet? There were people recording us all night long at both venues, but I don't know how to find any of it. I'm not on Facebook, Instagram, none of that crap.

8DF7048C-4EAE-4E36-B8FC-D59F6DFE0686.jpeg
      Rollin Hand
      Reactions:

Always good to hear of a gig going well. Congrats!

Also, yeah, that is weird of the old guitar player to show up. That's kind of like your ex showing up ro your party when you're there with your new girlfriend. Awkward. Glad the rest of the band seems to be with you though.
      - Ron Swanson
      toomanycats
      Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:31 am Always good to hear of a gig going well. Congrats!

Also, yeah, that is weird of the old guitar player to show up. That's kind of like your ex showing up ro your party when you're there with your new girlfriend. Awkward. Glad the rest of the band seems to be with you though.
      Later the drummer took me aside and said, "I want you to know that we're not taking him back." They were worried because he had been within earshot of me telling the rest of the band that he wanted back in.

Nothing surprises me anymore. Mrs toomanycats has described these situations as, "Coming out of nowhere like a bullet." You can do everything conceivable to prepare for a show, change the strings on your guitars, maintain your amps and other gear, endlessly practice your parts, check the air pressure on your vehicle . . . seriously, I mean everything within your purview . . . and still, you will be confronted by crazy situations that are totally out of your control, and you have to deal with it at that moment. These things literally do come out of nowhere like bullet.

To reiterate, the former guitar player was completely cool to me and I truly have sympathy for the guy. I've been both kicked out of bands, and I've quit bands over which I later had remorse. I know those associated feelings well. It's like a combination of a girl breaking up with you, being kicked in the nuts, losing your job, a lose of social status, and your cat dying. I understand how at the age these guys are at "being in the band" means so much and is part of their self-identity. I really do feel for the guy.
      LightWingStudios
      Site Admin
      Reactions:

And thus ends "Episode 1: Balls In The Wind Tour 2022".

:)

Fantastic regalling sir!
      U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
      UrenragK
      Reactions:

Great story TMC, and thank goodness you kept your balls in the bag until you were out of the limelight!!! :D
      tlarson58
      Reactions:
      Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Thank you for posting. Great reads.
      Tommy Larson
      Steamboat Springs, CO
      Lacking Talent
      Reactions:

Capture.JPG

Sounding good, nice playing! Curious as to what's up with the bandages, though.
      toomanycats
      Reactions:

Lacking Talent wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:23 pm Capture.JPG

Sounding good, nice playing! Curious as to what's up with the bandages, though.
      That gig was on a Friday. It was only on Monday of that week that I connected with these guys and they threw a list of 35 songs at me to perform at the gig. This is a considerable workload, though it's my own doing, as I threw down the gauntlet by saying, "I'll play the show in 5 days," and they picked it up and said, "You've got the job, learn these.” As it had been I who was insistent that I could deliver on performing on such short notice, the onus was completely on me to be prepared, and I spent a crazy amount of time practicing that week.

Fingertips can only take so much rubbing against a metal wire before they wear through, regardless of if you have callouses developed or not. It's not the shredding type playing that does it, but the bending and vibrato. Over the years I've used crazy glue, which can help to some degree, though it will wear down quite quickly. Then I found this Johnson & Johnson Tough Cloth Tape which is thin, very tacky, water resistant, and incredibly tough. It also minimally interferes with my touch sensitivity. It has been a Godsend, allowing me to continue practicing and playing when I would otherwise have worn holes in my fingertips and had to quit. If not for that tape I would not have been able to make it through that show.

Unknown.jpeg
      Unknown.jpeg (9.29 KiB) Viewed 789 times
      toomanycats
      Reactions:

Rollin Hand
      Reactions:

TMC bringin'' the HEAT!
      - Ron Swanson
      sabasgr68
      Reactions:
      Gearlist: Mossman Sunking Strat (model MN001) - Zoom G3xn - My hands

I don´t get the filmic reference to this thread title, but enjoyed the story, and am really happy that you´re enjoying this ride, and I hope it´ll last long enough to keep you busy and uplifted.

As of you being the mature guy, good counselor partner, If you´d ever saw the movie "Rudderless" you´ll catch it: the band you´re in could very well be named "The old & the three" (in a good way).

I enjoyed the performances - yours and the whole band -.
      I´m the guy from Venezuela (Not Communist/Socialist) - Catholic - Husband - Father
      Looking for online/remote job - Income on the internet
      Always grateful to the AGF community and friends
      AGF refugee - Banned by MOMO
      mickey
      Reactions:

sabasgr68 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:02 pm I don´t get the filmic reference to this thread title, but enjoyed the story, and am really happy that you´re enjoying this ride, and I hope it´ll last long enough to keep you busy and uplifted.

As of you being the mature guy, good counselor partner, If you´d ever saw the movie "Rudderless" you´ll catch it: the band you´re in could very well be named "The old & the three" (in a good way).

Perhaps this will help?
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Roman ... Mrs._Stone

The movie was about "an older woman" & younger man having a fling.
      Cats is "an old dude" in a band with a bunch of kids.
      In a way there is a parallel. :)
      Gandalf the Intonationer
      sabasgr68
      Reactions:
      Gearlist: Mossman Sunking Strat (model MN001) - Zoom G3xn - My hands

mickey wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:10 pm
      sabasgr68 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:02 pm I don´t get the filmic reference to this thread title, but enjoyed the story, and am really happy that you´re enjoying this ride, and I hope it´ll last long enough to keep you busy and uplifted.

Perhaps this will help?

Got it! :)
      I´m the guy from Venezuela (Not Communist/Socialist) - Catholic - Husband - Father
      Looking for online/remote job - Income on the internet
      Always grateful to the AGF community and friends
      AGF refugee - Banned by MOMO
      toomanycats
      Reactions:

mickey wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:10 pm

Perhaps this will help?

Let's not forget what is arguably the most famous quote from the film, in which Mrs. Stone says, "All I need is three or four years. After that, a cut throat would be a convenience".

I'm enjoying the excitement, but hopefully it doesn't come to that for me. ;) :lol:
      toomanycats
      Reactions:

I've had some very frank and honest conversations with my bandmates about the fact that I am three decades older than them, highlighting some of the conflicts I've already anticipated due to the disparity in our ages. My mind always races ahead and plays out all the moves on the chess board; that's just my nature.

Musically speaking I am very compatible with these guys, and I very much like them personally. But the following is an example of the type of conflict I'm alluding to.

They brought up the subject of playing a gig at Myrtle Beach, asking how much it would be worth to travel there to play. The number 1K was thrown out there, and they quickly deduced that fuel cost to get there would be around $250, and a single hotel room at least another $250. That would leave the band $500 to split four ways for traveling nine hours round trip, and spending the night together in a single hotel room. Add in the other random expenses, like food and drink, and it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that it would actually cost one money to play such a gig. There has also been mention of touring.

I readily admit that undertaking such adventures has value, that it pays returns, and there is worth to the experience . . . at least for them. I'm not talking about strictly monetary returns, but rather in terms of life experience. When I was in my late teens I was desperate for any opportunity to fling myself out into the world, see new places, and broaden my horizons. I'd grown up in a small town, though I instinctively realized that, as Duke Leto asserts in Dune, “A person needs new experiences. It jars something deep inside, allowing them to grow." I spent my late teens and early 20s accumulating such experiences, most of which didn't profit me monetarily whatsoever, and which often exposed me to hardship and sometimes danger, though which were invaluable in shaping my character, informing my perspective, and educating me in the ways of the world. While my bandmates deserve the opportunity to have their own Bildungsroman, it would be both comical and absurd for me to play that role once again at my age. There's nothing to profit me by doing so.

To be completely honest, the idea of traveling across the county in a van or RV with a group of 22 year old guys, living like gypsies, staying in hotels every night, is my idea of hell. I've had all those experiences, and much more; it's conquered territory for me. I'm in a different place, with different aspirations and expectations about life, different priorities and responsibilities.

I used the phrase "Putting the cart in front of the horse" with them, suggesting that at present we should place our focus on climbing to the top of the local music scene. There's so much opportunity in this immediate area, with a dozens of venues that book live music within a twenty-five mile radius, that traveling and touring to acquire gigs is completely unnecessary. For the time being we can both hone our craft and make a little bread without ever having to not sleep in our own beds.

But ya see, as I re-read that last paragraph I recognize, being able to be objective, how much I really do sound like a hokey old man saying something like. "Cart in front of the horse."