Quick 1 night Stay in Bangkok

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Some pics if anyone is interested

https://www.instagram.com/globetrawler/
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

The icy drinks must be a Godsend.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

tlarson58 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:10 pm The icy drinks must be a Godsend.
Fruit Smoothies are all the rage here
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

golem
Reactions:

That's hot.
jhull54
Reactions:

Makes a hard man humble.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Glad you are having fun.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
jhull54
Reactions:

Sort of on topic, but yesterday I discovered that "One Night In Bangkok" was written by the guys in ABBA.

Did not know that.
toomanycats
Reactions:

jhull54 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:57 am Sort of on topic, but yesterday I discovered that "One Night In Bangkok" was written by the guys in ABBA.

Did not know that.
That's a revelation, though not really surprising either. The chorus has that kind of quirky, 80s Euro pop, elegantly cheesy, super catchy vibe which many ABBA songs share. It really is a work of pop music genius. A song like this would probably not be able to be released today. The SJWs would claim it represents colonial, Eurocentric views and depicts a Westerner's demeaning, exotic, picaresque perspective of the East.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
jhull54
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:10 am That's a revelation, though not really surprising either. The chorus has that kind of quirky, 80s Euro pop, elegantly cheesy, super catchy vibe which many ABBA songs share. It really is a work of pop music genius. A song like this would probably not be able to be released today. The SJWs would claim it represents colonial, Eurocentric views and depicts a Westerner's demeaning, exotic, picaresque perspective of the East.
Agreed. I went ahead and actually read all the lyrics, which kind of impressed me. Pithy, sarcastic, and cynical. Probably Tim Rice's influence, although it does appear Ulvaeus had a hand in them as well--according to Wikipedia. Miles away lyrically from most of the stuff they wrote with ABBA:

"You'll find a god in every golden cloister — And if you're lucky then the god's a she"

:lol:
Raindog
Reactions:

jhull54 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:57 am Sort of on topic, but yesterday I discovered that "One Night In Bangkok" was written by the guys in ABBA.

Did not know that.
A lot of people do not realize that the song is an extract from the musical Chess in which Head, at one time, played one of the roles. I like this Espen Grjotheim version. Be sure to watch the flutist during the small flute solo (4:42). She looks like she has to bark into the flute to get the proper sound.

jhull54
Reactions:

Raindog wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:31 am She looks like she has to bark into the flute to get the proper sound.
You said "bark into the flute"... :lol:
Raindog
Reactions:

jhull54 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:58 am
You said "bark into the flute"... :lol:
Did you watch the video? Can you think of a better description? I understand by those that play the flute that the particular sound she is playing is very hard to produce so I'm not making fun of her.
jhull54
Reactions:

Raindog wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:49 am Did you watch the video? Can you think of a better description? I understand by those that play the flute that the particular sound she is playing is very hard to produce so I'm not making fun of her.
For sure! Me either. I just thought the expression sounded amusing. It's all good!
golem
Reactions:

While it's more likely I'll retire early in the Philippines because of my wife and her family, from the perspective of food I think Thailand wins.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

golem wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:57 pm While it's more likely I'll retire early in the Philippines because of my wife and her family, from the perspective of food I think Thailand wins.
Certainly more variety here I think, and international foods also quite prevalent in most cities. I dated a Filipina many years ago and it seemed her family thrived on Pancit, Sisig, Filipino spaghetti (lots of sugar and hot dogs), and loads of sweet bread. This was quite a routine diet and they wouldn't do much else.
golem
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:54 pm
Certainly more variety here I think, and international foods also quite prevalent in most cities. I dated a Filipina many years ago and it seemed her family thrived on Pancit, Sisig, Filipino spaghetti (lots of sugar and hot dogs), and loads of sweet bread. This was quite a routine diet and they wouldn't do much else.
As my wife grew up both more provincial and poor (parents were educated but had too many kids), they actual eat a ton of vegetables and fish, lots of stews. But I hate the way most meat is cooked here in the average Filipino's house. Far too overcooked.

Another win for me in Thailand would be Muay Thai and the fact that One FC has fights there regularly.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

That looks like a lot of food for one night ;-) Excellent photos though and all the food/drink looks exotic and fantastic. I am heading back to Norway later this week for work but also taking the whole family with for a vacation. Over there, 80F is reason enough to shut down the country for the day, 108 would be a national disaster most likely.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:12 pm That looks like a lot of food for one night ;-) Excellent photos though and all the food/drink looks exotic and fantastic. I am heading back to Norway later this week for work but also taking the whole family with for a vacation. Over there, 80F is reason enough to shut down the country for the day, 108 would be a national disaster most likely.
Well the birthday girl wanted to try the "famous" seafood restaurant in Bangkok...the food was just meh...but loads of Chinese tourists packed the place and were eating and drinking up a storm. The restaurant made its bones decades ago, and now to serve tourists from the PRC has expanded from the original one floor to a stacked 4 or 5 floor food factory. I was not impressed at all with the environment or the food. Yeah 110 was the highest we've ever had in the Bangkok area in my 9 years here...had a string of about 20 days between 104 and 110...brutal season this year
Raindog
Reactions:

golem wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:57 pm While it's more likely I'll retire early in the Philippines because of my wife and her family, from the perspective of food I think Thailand wins.
I lived in The Philippines for 5 years in the late 80s. Got the wife and lost her to the US like so many kanos. I finally got my AFIB under control, after 5 years, but my legs are so shot that I can hardly walk more than about an 1/10 of a mile without stopping. I still want to move to the area but I hate getting out from under a doctor's care. Plus, I'm still trying to decide between The PI, Thailand or Malaysia. What I do know is this: At 63 years old, I need to be deciding.
aaa.jpg