Strap peg hole - It can be done better, I'm sure.

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

The hip-end screw which holds the strap peg was coming out.

I had glue and toothpicks laying around the house so I figured that I'd try this (see below). I'll let it dry for 24 hours, snap off the 'picks, sand and then drill a small starter hole to guide the new screw.

Thoughts?

R0010556_LI.jpg
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
ILuvTeles
Reactions:

That is what I would do
bc rich
Reactions:

A stitch in time saves nine.
bc rich
Reactions:

Don"t let this happen , damage from guitar flopping around in a hard case during the rigours of shipping.
DSCF3765_zps9d84957b.jpg
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

bc rich wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:11 pm Don"t let this happen , damage from guitar flopping around in a hard case during the rigours of shipping. DSCF3765_zps9d84957b.jpg
ooph.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
glasshand
Reactions:

It's worked fine for me in the past. If the hole is only a little bit too large, you can even try just shoving a toothpick or two into the hole, then putting the screw in; sometimes that gives it enough grip.
ronnx
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile, Squier, Ibanez, Italia, Fender., Peavey, Epiphone and Partscasters.

Toothpicks are great for filling pick guard screw holes or string retainer holes or tuner screw down holes on the back of the head stock. For the larger strap screw holes I get the small dowel rods at my local hardware store and if they are a little too large for the holes I will grind them down on my bench grinder. If you don't have a grinder, you can file or sand them to the proper size.
jtcnj
Reactions:

Well-Hung Pro Pins for the win.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

I've used toothpicks and glue to repair wallowed out screw holes in wood of all kinds including guitars as long as I can remember I just never drilled starter holes for the screw and that sounds like a great idea.

SHADE TREE WOOD HOLE REPAIR BY THE TOOTHPICK WHISPERER
Chocol8
Reactions:

jtcnj wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:48 pm Well-Hung Pro Pins for the win.
This is the best answer. Bigger pin bigger screw. No problems after a 2 minute upgrade (x 5).

Edit: Best part is they are FREE*

* If you spend a ton of money on REALLY GOOD straps :-)
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

^ That is a great fix, Tommy!

I perform a variant on this, because I sometimes had problems drilling into the dried wood glue. I put butcher's wax on the strap screw first. The put in the glue, toothpicks and flush cut the picks. When the glue has cured for 10 or 15 minutes, I install the strap button and screw. Unlike solid wood, the toothpicks crush enough to make way for the screw. Using this method, the glue shapes to the screw and since you use the wax on the thread - it can still be screwed in and out.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob