Chibson V repair

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
honyock
Reactions:

This post is being migrated, new content will be added, hoping this spurs me to finish the crack repair of the fretboard...
_________ start old content __________
I decided to fix this thing finally.

I'm not doing high end work, just fixing it enough to be happy.

Step 1 was plugging the original bridge anchor holes that were looser than a lady of the night...bored them out to 1/2" and plugged with a dowel, then flush cut them.

I had a very cool Schaller roller bridge that I decided to install that uses ABR-1 style anchors, so I used a nice sharp 1/4" Brad point bit. this was ~.010" undersize, so it has a good press fit for the ABR-1 anchors.

Next was plugging the string through holes, I decided to plug only the rear holes since they were already almost 1/4". I just gave them a quick plunge with a 1/4" forstner bit to make sure my 1/4 dowel would go in nicely. I plugged each and cut flush as I went.

lastly I installed the bigsby. for this I used a couple of straight edges along the fretboard. You will notice that the body is a bit off, but the location of the Bigsby hides it a bit. Another strange thing is that the Bigsby was drilled wrong in Kalamazoo...I know this because i had tried to mount this one on a Vibramate V5 which is CNC'd.

next up, I need to layout a new pickguard, create a jack plate since the pocket is too big, and bore out the tuners holes.

The elephant in the room is the cracked ebony fretboard. I have a scrap piece I need to use to make sawdust to mix in with superglue to inject into the crack, but I am afraid to mess it up.

At least the Bigsby hides the holes in the top a bit...
__________ end old content __________

Sent from my SM-G955U using TapatalkImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
JeffBeck
Reactions:

[mention]honyock[/mention] I think you've got the right idea with the fretboard. Just do it a few frets at a time and don't sweat it. It'll come out fine.
mozz
Reactions:

Lots of work. Do you know any places to buy hardwood dowels? Most the ones from hardware stores are kind of softwood.
AGF refugee
honyock
Reactions:

mozz wrote:Lots of work. Do you know any places to buy hardwood dowels? Most the ones from hardware stores are kind of softwood.
yes, Woodcraft has a store here in Tucson and that is where I get mine.

There are other woodworking craft stores, but the name escapes me at the moment.

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
honyock
Reactions:

JeffBeck wrote:[mention]honyock[/mention] I think you've got the right idea with the fretboard. Just do it a few frets at a time and don't sweat it. It'll come out fine.
hey, the mention worked on Tapatalk, though I need to turn push notifications back off, I had deleted the app in frustration the other day because it kept signing me into the old AGF and I couldn't lurk properly :)