THINGS I'VE LEARNED ABOUT PEDALS!

Broken down by TYPE in Sub Forums.
Perfect Stranger
Reactions:

THINGS I'VE LEARNED ABOUT PEDALS!

Here are a few hard-earned, and sometimes expensive lessons, I've learned about using pedals! I know most of this will sound like old hat to you...but there may be some newbies that might gleam an idea or two from it. If not, just ignore and move along.

1) Recommendations from friends might point you in a direction, but most people tend to recommend what they have.....so take those with a grain of salt.

2) Decide exactly what it is that you are wanting in the pedal you are looking for.

3) Listen to demos...listen to demos....listen to demos! But remember, most of those guys are paid to make those pedals sound as good as they can....so that means using ONLY that that pedal in the chain, high quality cable, expensive amps that are mic'ed. Take the demos with a grain of salt also, however...they can certainly give you direction and flat out tell you when you don't like a pedals sound. Yes, it's always better to hear the pedal in person, but face it....most times that ain't happening.

4) Never, EVER skimp on cables! Including both guitar and patch cables. They are gonna get the sound from your guitar to your ears. No time to cheap out....

5) Try to buy only quality pedals. This doesn't always mean expensive, but it does mean trust the person/people building the pedal to use good components. Also, there are plenty of deals out there, but trust the person/people making the pedal. A one man operation can be just as good as the big guy on the block if he knows his shit and uses quality components.

6) Now....you have your pedal, what next? Read the fookin' manual if there is one. Many pedals are so self explanatory that they don't need a manual, but some aren't. Pedals can and do sound different based on where they are placed in our "chain". Pedals can an do sound different based on what guitar you are using. Pedals can and do sound different based on what pickups you have in said guitar.

7) Play with that mofo! Try all the different setting with each guitar you have. Move it around in the chain, play it at different levels, have a ball. Then dial in what you think is the best sound. NEVER base your opinion on the sound of a pedal the first day you have it. Come back to it the second day and see how it sounds. Amazingly...pedals sound better the second day you have them, maybe not what you are looking for but better.....don't ask me why....they just do.

8) If you love it...kiss it and make it a part of your chain....but either way.....never EVER throw the box away! Even if you love it, there WILL come a day when you fall out of love with it....or find something younger...better....prettier. You'll actually get a better price and have an easier time selling it if you have the box.

9) Remember.....some pedals suck...and most all pedals sound pretty awesome. It's up to you to cull the ones that suck while holding onto the ones that don't. One thing is a given.....pedals do NOT make you play better. ONLY practice does that.

BTW...you CAN go broke chasing that tone....be careful!
~Jim~

Even great harmonica players suck half the time! :roll:
fatjack
Reactions:

This ought to be a sticky. Ya know things to think off when chasing tone.
mickey
Reactions:

I have never owned a pedal, but I've learned a lot about them reading this forum.
For example if you are craving "X" pedal, and [mention]Perfect Stranger[/mention] buys one,
you know you'll be able to get one for half price in a few weeks. :lol:
Gandalf the Intonationer
Open G
Reactions:

Wah Wah pedal is best pedal.