GENERAL Amp Talk Area

Discussions by amplifier type.
mickey
Reactions:

GENERAL AMP TALK
If your post doesn't fit one of the sub forums, click the NEW TOPIC button and post it here.
ronnx
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile, Squier, Ibanez, Italia, Fender., Peavey, Epiphone and Partscasters.

Is it just me or does it seem to anyone else that using an amp stand versus setting the amp on the floor that there is a notable difference in the sound? I've used an amp stand in my area with several different amps ( all SS however) and I seem to notice, how do I describe it, a more hollow sound or as if the sound is coming out of a can when it is on the amp stand. Anyone?
Chocol8
Reactions:

There are well documented reasons for this, but the short answer is it is not in your head.

Longer answer...bass frequencies are reinforced by boundaries so on the floor has more lower end response. On the floor next to a wall, more again, and in a corner even more so.

Also, the high frequencies for most guitar speakers are very directional, so on the floor pointing at your shins will sound different than on a stand pointed at your waist or higher/tilted pointing at your head.
zisme
Reactions:

ronnx wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:35 pm Is it just me or does it seem to anyone else that using an amp stand versus setting the amp on the floor that there is a notable difference in the sound? I've used an amp stand in my area with several different amps ( all SS however) and I seem to notice, how do I describe it, a more hollow sound or as if the sound is coming out of a can when it is on the amp stand. Anyone?
personally i prefer the sound of my combos (twin and jc-120) on a stand with the speakers angled up toward me. though i have heard the argument that amps have better bass response on the floor. with my 4x12 cab i used to use an isolation pad in our practice space that was supposed to provide that bass response while eliminating vibration. eventually i got tired of setting it back up on the pad after every gig and i ended up just leaving the cab on its casters. I never noticed a drastic difference in tone really. i use the pad for my bass cab (2x12) now.
frogs love to eat flies,
the devil's name, Beelzebub, lord of the flies
evil spirits love to spiritually feed upon those whom Beelzebub rules

joined AGF March 20, 2013
mickey
Reactions:

I was intending to write a reply very similar to what @chocol8 said but was too busy stuffing BBQ into my face
so he got there first.

Suggestion, lean an amp back against a wall and notice the difference in the sound you hear.
Then lean an amp back into a corner and again notice the difference in the sound.
No, it isn't in your head except as it enters your ears. :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
mozz
Reactions:

Are you talking open back combos or sealed back cabinets? I almost bought one of those amp stands a while ago, seems like a good idea. If i ever teach myself to weld with the Hobart i bought, maybe i could make one.
AGF refugee
Chocol8
Reactions:

Sealed cabs still have bass reinforcement and directional highs so no difference other than they start with different frequency response so you may prefer one or the other in a different position.
Mossman
Reactions:

I've always kept guitar amps up off the floor and pointed at me (where I generally sit to practice/record). The effect on perceived tone is real.

Bass amps are typically too big and heavy to elevate, so the low frequencies travel through the floor (though amps that have a tilt-back cabinet design help), and you have to deal with "bass traps" in corners and along walls. Part of the reason why I bought a Rumble Studio 40 is that it's not much bigger than a guitar combo, and I can prop it up on top of my older (bigger) bass amp, and cut down on the bass transmission to the rest of my apartment building.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
ronnx
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile, Squier, Ibanez, Italia, Fender., Peavey, Epiphone and Partscasters.

Thanks for the responses. To answer the only question I've seen, both open and sealed backs seem to have the same effects on the stand.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

+1 for @Chocol8 and @mickey .

Speakers 'couple' acoustically with floors, corners, walls and ceilings, which amplifies low frequencies which require high energy to produce and reflects higher frequencies. You are correct @ronnx , that it occurs with open-back and closed-back, but open-back are more sensitive to placement due to the out-of-phase signal reflecting from the back to the front.

There are many advantages to putting a guitar amp on a stand. If you are close mic'ing, the differences vs. the floor are irrelevant. If you are in a live gig situation, aiming an amp at your ear will let you prominently hear your guitar without creating volume problems on stage (again, close mic and let the sound person manage the mix). It will also help increase the mechanical interaction (controlled feedback, phase distortion, etc.) with the amp pointed at your guitar.

If you are doing studio work (either live band mix or individual tracks), a stand will save you some EQ'ing if you close mic + room mic. Most pro recordings use a high pass filter to roll off lows on a guitar to get it to sit in the mix and the stand does that for you. So that would be one less sonic lens that you need to put your signal through. Supporting Rule #2 of recording: get the instrument to sound right in the mix, naturally, by manipulating instrument and amp placement, plus mic placement. Rule #1 is a fantastic, in-tune artist performance!
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
jtcnj
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:22 pm Are you talking open back combos or sealed back cabinets? I almost bought one of those amp stands a while ago, seems like a good idea. If i ever teach myself to weld with the Hobart i bought, maybe i could make one.
Mig is easy to learn. Develop the basic CLAMS principles and skills, and this site is very useful:

https://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/mi ... asics.html

Even if you dont have gas yet you can still learn the basics with flux core wire (make sure the polarity is correct as it is opposite of MIG).

I have an old patio umbrella frame made up of light gauge rectangular tubing that I plan to make folding tilt back stand(s) from.
(2 or 3 years later the frame still sits, ughhh.)
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.