NAD! Fender Got This One Right!

Discussions by amplifier type.
Mossman
Reactions:

So some of you may have seen my review of the Fender Rumble Studio 40 and the asinine hilarity that ensued ( https://www.aguitarforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1374 ) and I was going to segue right into the review of this amp, but it was a long story and my experience of these two amps was like night and day, so I decided to give this amp a proper NAD thread of its own.

When I returned the Studio 40 to Sam Ash last night, I was hoping they would have something else in stock that would be a suitable substitute, but the pickings were pretty slim. In fact, the whole bass section looked a little thread-bare. Most of the amps there were used, except for the full line of (ugh) Hartke HD combos, and I wouldn't take home one of those if they were giving them away. So this morning, I decided to take a trip to the closest GC to see what they had in stock.

I had pretty much narrowed my choices down to the (non-Studio) Fender Rumble 40:

And the Orange Crush Bass 50:

Fender had left a bad taste in my mouth with the Studio 40, so part of me wanted to give another brand a try, but in my heart, I was still leaning toward the Fender. I had done a lot of research, and much of what I'd heard/read told me that the Orange really wasn't for me... But it could be, if I ignored all the gainy stuff. I don't play metal, and while I sometimes use overdrive on bass, I don't care for high-gain distortion.

The Orange definitely seems geared towards metal, but it has a 12" speaker, an effects loop (which the Fender does not), it's bi-amped, and everyone says they're built like a tank. In most of the review videos I've watched, they get all excited about the overdrive circuit, but that's the only thing about the amp that anybody says anything good about (in fact, I've seen some reviews where they've been kinda underwhelmed by the amp in general). This amp seems to have four voices, and three of them are overdrive, distortion and fuzz. :lol:

Regardless, I wanted to try one for myself, even though I knew I'd probably go with the Fender... There might be something that I really like about it, and it was the only other amp besides the Rumble that made the cut in this size/power range.

When I walked into Guitar Center, the situation was slightly better than what I found at Sam Ash, but they didn't have as many amps on display in the bass room as they usually do, and they didn't have an Orange Crush. They did, however, have a bunch of Fender Rumbles, from the 25 up to the 200, so I located a 40, grabbed a Jazz Bass off the wall and plugged it in.

And it was frickin' glorious! :shock:

It sounded better than the Studio 40... It's hard to make this amp sound bad. I expected the Rumble 40 to sound about the same as the Studio, except without all the digital effects and modelling, but this amp sounds bigger, burlier and louder than the Studio 40. I can hardly believe it's just a 10" speaker! Granted, I only gave the Studio a cursory spin before I ran into problems, and didn't have a chance to really "dig in" to the amp, but I did spend a fair amount of time working the eq in the "Clean Bassman" setting, and I wasn't getting any tones like this out of it! The Studio sounds good, but the Regular Rumble 40 literally made my jaw drop, and I felt all fluttery inside. :D I can't remember the last time I actually got excited playing a bass amp in a store!

By the time a salesman came by (to their credit, they left me alone for a reasonable amount of time), I was ready to take it home, and they actually had some out back in unopened boxes too, so I didn't have to get into a negotiation about having to take the floor model. I did try my best to get a discount, but in true GC fashion, they wouldn't have it. Unless you have a coupon that applies to the specific item that you're buying, they don't want to hear about it. Thus broke my long streak of never paying full retail for music gear (or much of anything else, for that matter), but I didn't care... I had it in hand, and that beats waiting till Monday to call my Sweetwater rep, and then waiting a week to get it, just to save $25 off a $200 amp.

Rumble 40.jpg

When I got it home, I played around with that thing for about 2 hours, turning knobs and pushing buttons, and really pushing the amp to its limits... And it gets very loud. Not loud enough to play in a band with a drummer, but it'll get way louder than you want it in your living room before you hit '10'. It's got good headroom with no clipping, and the speaker handled the volume very well, even when I had everything (Gain, OD, Master) cranked. It never broke up, or got farty sounding.

Oddly, the one feature that I thought I wasn't going to care for (the over-drive circuit), was the thing I had the most fun with! A lot of bass amps have built-in overdrive, and most of them sound like ass, and I never engage them. I like my bass to sound full, and growly, and menacing to begin with, and if I want a bit of distortion, cranking the gain up a bit usually satisfies me. But most built-in bass amp overdrives usually sound like a bucket of rusty barbed wire and razor blades to me. This overdrive is something else, though... It's really musical distortion... I love it!

Rumble 40 controls.jpg

Another feature that I thought was going to be a gimmick that I would never use are the three "pre-sets" (Bright, Contour, and Vintage). Most people write them off as a gimmick, but I don't think anybody has really used them to their fullest extent... You can use them in combination with each other, with the overdrive, or even EQ'ing them further results in all kinds of great sounds. It's a starting pint, not a destination. I really like the fact that it has a 4-band EQ too. The Orange had 3-band with a parametric mid control, but I always preferred graphic EQ over parametric. It's more precise.

This amp doesn't have all the ins and outs that the Studio 40 has, but it has an XLR out that I can use for recording, or I could always mic it. All in all, I'm super happy with it. I knew this amp was good, but it's even better than I expected. I'm kinda glad that the Studio 40 I got turned out to be a dog, because I would have never found out how good this one is!
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
Spike
Reactions:

Glad it worked out for you. Happy New Amp Day!
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift
Steve Prefontaine
mickey
Reactions:

Hope you are not in California! If you are the amp causes cancer & reproductive harm!

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.

:lol:
Gandalf the Intonationer
aullucci
Reactions:

Nice review and congrats on the score
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

Glad to hear that you found a suitable replacement. Also nice to hear that the base level Rumble is a usable item, I’ve been considering the 25 watt version for a practice amp.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
Mossman
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:19 am Hope you are not in California! If you are the amp causes cancer & reproductive harm!

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.

:lol:

Yeah, I know... Everything I've bought since I moved to California causes cancer here. Even the trees are carcinogenic! Every time I buy wood for projects it comes with a warning label on it.

BANNED BY MOMO
Mossman
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:11 am Glad to hear that you found a suitable replacement. Also nice to hear that the base level Rumble is a usable item, I’ve been considering the 25 watt version for a practice amp.
I didn't try the 25 watt version, but after playing the 40 at home, I started to think that even the 25 might have been suitable in terms of volume. But it doesn't have any outputs, except for the headphone jack, and it only has a 3-band EQ, and a simplified version of the OD circuit (it's just on or off, with no controls).

You also might want to check out the Rumble LT25. It has amp modelling and effects, without the wifi/bluetooth nonsense. You also get gain and master volume, a footswitch input, and USB out. Like the Rumble 25, it also only has a 3-band EQ, but you can get more EQ control through the Tone app (which unlike the Studio 40, will connect from your computer via USB).

BANNED BY MOMO
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

I love it when things work out :)
dearlpitts
Reactions:
Gearlist: Strat,steat,strat,agile3018,tele ,mustang

Sounds like you got the one. Congrats and enjoy
Mossman
Reactions:

dearlpitts wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:41 am Sounds like you got the one. Congrats and enjoy
Gear_Junky wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:54 pm I love it when things work out :)

Yeah, I thought I was taking a step backwards with this amp, and I went into this whole thing with a negative bias towards "practice" bass amps to begin with. When I was growing up, a "proper" bass amp had to have a 15" speaker (or two 12s, or four 10s), and practice amps of the time - with their small speakers and low wattage - always sounded weak and terrible (because they were). They were meant for "beginners", and only designed to make a bass audible, not to make it sound good. Years ago, I passed on a 300 watt Fender Bassman because it only had two 10" speakers, and I thought it sounded too compressed and nasal, so I had serious doubts that a 40 watt amp with a single 10" speaker would satisfy me. But I'm thoroughly amazed by the sound this amp puts out... Why couldn't we have amps like this when I was a kid?? :cry:

BANNED BY MOMO
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

Mossman wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:50 pm
dearlpitts wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:41 am Sounds like you got the one. Congrats and enjoy
Gear_Junky wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:54 pm I love it when things work out :)

Yeah, I thought I was taking a step backwards with this amp, and I went into this whole thing with a negative bias towards "practice" bass amps to begin with. When I was growing up, a "proper" bass amp had to have a 15" speaker (or two 12s, or four 10s), and practice amps of the time - with their small speakers and low wattage - always sounded weak and terrible (because they were). They were meant for "beginners", and only designed to make a bass audible, not to make it sound good. Years ago, I passed on a 300 watt Fender Bassman because it only had two 10" speakers, and I thought it sounded too compressed and nasal, so I had serious doubts that a 40 watt amp with a single 10" speaker would satisfy me. But I'm thoroughly amazed by the sound this amp puts out... Why couldn't we have amps like this when I was a kid?? :cry:
+1000000