Jay Turser JT-133 (335 Styled Semi Hollow)

honyock
Reactions:

Working on this one has been interesting. Bought it earlier in the summer, it had a pretty nasty buzz, tries to correct the wiring, but found a couple issues. No ground wire from the tailpiece and the output jack wire was wrapped around the tip spring on the jack and had rubbed through so that the shield/ground was touching just enough to hum pretty bad. It was unusable with any gain.

The guitar came with a decent set of pickups JB/Jazz S-Ds, so if nothing else I basically got a $100 set of pickups and a $100 guitar for $200.

The hardware isn't terrible, buy I have a spare set of TonePros Kluson Deluxe tuners, so they are getting dusted off for this one.

Also the stock pickguard was pretty terrible, so I picked up a nice heavy 5 ply with the correct style pickguard bracket for this style guitar.

I think it is coming together nicely. Not sure if I'll keep the S-Ds in it since I think they would be better off in Mt Harley Benton Explorer. This will get some vintage output PAF style with chrome covers to class it up a little more.

I'll also wire it up with some Bourns 500k Reverse Audio taper pots I have in my parts bin.

Lastly I think this needs a better looking set of knobs. I'm partial to witch hats with reflectors, so I'll probably get a set of those.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
tobijohn
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:25 am ...I'll also wire it up with some Bourns 500k Reverse Audio taper pots I have in my parts bin.

Lastly I think this needs a better looking set of knobs. I'm partial to witch hats with reflectors, so I'll probably get a set of those.ImageImage
I think I might have a set of black lefty knobs (10 is on the left side of the gap betwen it and 0) but they're not witch hats. I rewire everything to a righty configuration, so I really have no use for them. Let me know if you'd like them and I'll doublecheck. FWIW, I can't remember seeing lefty knobs on any imports other than Epiphone...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
honyock
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote:
honyock wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:25 am ...I'll also wire it up with some Bourns 500k Reverse Audio taper pots I have in my parts bin.

I think I might have a set of black lefty knobs (10 is on the left side of the gap betwen it and 0) but they're not witch hats. I rewire everything to a righty configuration, so I really have no use for them. Let me know if you'd like them and I'll doublecheck. FWIW, I can't remember seeing lefty knobs on any imports other than Epiphone...
I never bother to use lefty knobs. I just think of it as the amount of treble cut or volume cut instead.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.