Lawn care

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
DonM
Reactions:

Once a week.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I will likeky mow my collection of weeds this morning. A lot of it is dead now, and the weeds are winning. It is tough because using Killex and the like is illegal around here now. I want a lush lawn, but all of the watering I did this summer was for naught. Oh well--I'll get it next year.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

Watering a bit right now, no rain until at least Thursday, darn...
The other farm cats didn’t super love him but the chickens thought he was alright so he became a chicken.
stacks
Reactions:

I mow once a week at home, takes about 8-10 hours to do all of it, with a 60" commercial mower. Sometimes I just mow a couple hours a day to keep up.

I mow up at the cabin every 2 weeks or so with the same mower and it takes 4-6 hours.
PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

[mention]stacks[/mention] you must need some good size beer keg for this,

https://beerconnoisseur.com/articles/to ... ower-beers
The other farm cats didn’t super love him but the chickens thought he was alright so he became a chicken.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

stacks wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:51 pm I mow once a week at home, takes about 8-10 hours to do all of it, with a 60" commercial mower. Sometimes I just mow a couple hours a day to keep up.

I mow up at the cabin every 2 weeks or so with the same mower and it takes 4-6 hours.
Sweet Jeebus, how much land do you live on?
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

I was just in touch with a Brit gent from the Bristol area, and he had a lawn story:

An American tourist, admiring a local lawn, inquired about its care.

The answer was "weed occasionaly , mow twice a week... for 400 years!"
stacks
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:38 pm
stacks wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:51 pm I mow once a week at home, takes about 8-10 hours to do all of it, with a 60" commercial mower. Sometimes I just mow a couple hours a day to keep up.

Sweet Jeebus, how much land do you live on?
I have about 10 acres at the house and 18 at the cabin.
honyock
Reactions:

Morrison wrote:
Floridian FX wrote:
msc_ wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:02 pm

I recently bought a DeWalt 60V trimmer since that's the battery ecosystem I've gone with. I used it for the first time this week and it worked great. I have a 1.5 acre yard with lots of trimming to do and the 6AH battery I used with it was still close to fully charged when I was finished. The biggest issue was the weight distribution since the head seems to weigh a lot more than I'm used to. My back was killing me after I finished, so I'll need to either make some adjustments or figure out how to mount a strap. Maybe a bigger battery for ballast?

image.png
I have the dewalt blower and I bet it takes the same battery. I am super happy with the blower, I might have to take a look at that trimmer. Thanks!
I bought both the dewalt blower and trimmer. The electric trimmer is so much better than a gas one. Slightly less power but no messing around trying to get it to run. The gas ones always start having trouble running well over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is the ethanol in gas plus the 2 cycle oil, it just makes it impossible to keep the carb working perfectly on infrequently used stuff. For commercial applications, it doesn't make a huge difference because they run all the time, but a residential user especially in the snow belt, you almost need to do a full cleaning of the carb each year to avoid the issues.

I don't miss that stuff one bit...
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:37 pm
Morrison wrote:
Floridian FX wrote:
I have the dewalt blower and I bet it takes the same battery. I am super happy with the blower, I might have to take a look at that trimmer. Thanks!
I bought both the dewalt blower and trimmer. The electric trimmer is so much better than a gas one. Slightly less power but no messing around trying to get it to run. The gas ones always start having trouble running well over time.

It is the ethanol in gas plus the 2 cycle oil, it just makes it impossible to keep the carb working perfectly on infrequently used stuff. For commercial applications, it doesn't make a huge difference because they run all the time, but a residential user especially in the snow belt, you almost need to do a full cleaning of the carb each year to avoid the issues.

My $79 Weed Eater lasted me 12 years before getting difficult. Fuel stabilizer is key, as is the non ethanol premium gas up here.

That said, I bough an Ego 56V cordless trimmer. It is better than my gas one. I am not going back.
- Ron Swanson
mozz
Reactions:

Fuel stabilizer is key

Yup this is the key. I have a pair of Echos I run, start on the second pull everytime. I use stabilizer. I stopped using premium gas or non ethanol due to the fact it sits in the tanks for months because it's a very slow seller. My equipment sits for 5-6 months over the winter and never have any carb problems in the spring. I don't even drain the gas. I hate anything rechargeable.
AGF refugee
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

The fact that you are using Echo gear helps too.

But don't sleep on the rechargeable stuff, especially the higher voltage stuff. Wave of the future.
- Ron Swanson
Morrison
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote:
honyock wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:37 pm
Morrison wrote: I bought both the dewalt blower and trimmer. The electric trimmer is so much better than a gas one. Slightly less power but no messing around trying to get it to run. The gas ones always start having trouble running well over time.

My $79 Weed Eater lasted me 12 years before getting difficult. Fuel stabilizer is key, as is the non ethanol premium gas up here.

That said, I bough an Ego 56V cordless trimmer. It is better than my gas one. I am not going back.
I’m sure the reason I kill the gas ones is neglect and leaving old gas in it. I don’t use it every time I mow and it sits all winter.

Electric is much better for me

tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

I have two. After years of trying to revive an old one I planted clover. Looks great. It mats down when you walk on it but springs back up by the next day. 'Needs mowing every two weeks and not a lot of water:
clover.JPG

Another is a hay field I've been helping out at. This is in the spring with Big Momma and Izzy (who turned 11 yesterday):
fence small.jpg

Two weeks ago with my friend (the owner), Leigh:
Leigh pic.jpg

It got mowed this weekend. Despite losing some of my hours at work, I've had a great summer out there. I'm still a greenhorn through-and-through, though.
mowing.jpg
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

I have a pretty small lawn and use a battery powered push mower that works well. I mow about once a week. Since I bought the house last March, I've noticed the grass is decent but could use some help. Just signed up for Sunday, an online subscription that sends you fertilizer spray that goes onto your hose. It's a bit late in the season for it, but I figured I'd get the 2nd half of treatments and winterizing done heading into next year.
If I had something witty to say, I'd put it here.
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:35 pm The fact that you are using Echo gear helps too.

But don't sleep on the rechargeable stuff, especially the higher voltage stuff. Wave of the future.
I'm biased, but I completely agree.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

RockYoWorld wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:48 am
Rollin Hand wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:35 pm The fact that you are using Echo gear helps too.

My neighbour was using his rechargable mower yesterday. Dead quiet with great results. If my Craftsman (made by Husqvarna) ever dies.....

Admittedly it won't help if you have acres to deal with, but the modern battery-powered mowers do the job pretty well.
- Ron Swanson
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:33 pm
RockYoWorld wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:48 am

My neighbour was using his rechargable mower yesterday. Dead quiet with great results. If my Craftsman (made by Husqvarna) ever dies.....

Admittedly it won't help if you have acres to deal with, but the modern battery-powered mowers do the job pretty well.
I have a Greenworks "80V" mower (really 72V nominal). Works great. I have (2) 2 Ah batteries instead of 1 4 Ah so I could keep going continuously, charging one battery as I use the other. In reality, I can ALMOST do my entire lawn while cutting a decent amount of grass on one battery. I have the string trimmer, which is actually TOO powerful for me as well, so I just slide the same battery into that when I'm done cutting.

There are other brands out there that make great stuff too. The Snapper line is basically the same as Greenworks, but with little design improvements here and there. I know the EGO 56V line is really popular too.

The battery powered snow throwers just aren't there for heavy, wet Wisconsin snow yet, but they will be, eventually.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

You'd need 800V to throw real snow. We just pay for a service.

- Ron Swanson
t100d
Reactions:
Gearlist: '62 Guild T100D Slim Jim
'76 Ibanez 2405 Custom Agent
2004 Ibanez SA220EX
2009 Douglas WNO 630
2019 Peavey JF1
2021 Indio Retro Tele

'70 Gianninni Craviola

Córdoba Mini II EB-CE
Aria A542F
Takamine TC132SC
Rivera BC-394C

'70's Hohner PJ fretless bass
'84 Ibanez Roadstar II bass w/ SX Ursa neck

YouRock Midi guitar

Fender Acoustasonic 40
Fender Mustang III
Vox DA5
Monoprice 40W SS w/ 10" speaker

Another vote for Ego-Power tools—we started out with their weed whacker, then got the self-propelled mower, as we have a sloping lot, and next the hedge trimmer. Have my eye on the chain saw and the blower. Next year they're coming out with a riding mower, overkill for my garden, but MAS? (Mower Acquisition Syndrome)
A hint—once you have a couple of these you'll start building up a collection of extra batteries and chargers, so look into getting their "bare tools" and save $$$.
"Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it."
Open G
Reactions:

The trick to not cutting the grass is not watering the lawn.