The 5 types of guitars you should never buy

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
RiverDog
Reactions:

Saw this on another forum and thought it was too good not to post here. I agree with all but one of the five. Let me know what y'all think.

https://menga.net/the-5-types-of-guitar ... -never-buy
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

agree with all five....and add

"Any Rondo Monstrosity with more than 6 strings"(excepting legit 12 stringers).
DonM
Reactions:

I agree with four; Esquire shouldn’t be on the list.
toomanycats
Reactions:

The five types of lists that should be ignored:

1) Those that tell you there are guitars you should never buy.
2) Those that tell you you need one more cat.
3) Any list composed by Scott Groove.
4) Any list of the best Nu Metal songs of the 90s.
5) Any list of the top five lead guitar players of grunge rock.

:lol:
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
RiverDog
Reactions:

DonM wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:09 am I agree with four; Esquire shouldn’t be on the list.
Exactly!
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
ID10t
Reactions:

I think we're missing the loophole here of "you should never buy." I will also add the caveat of price. What if (I hate what if's and ya but's) you went to the thrift store and it was $15?

I would take a Steinberger Spirit, an Esquire (I don't think it should be on this list), and/or a double-neck guitar, heck I'd take and acrylic guitar.
fatjack
Reactions:

I mean you really can't take it seriously. Avoid the stienberger spirit a good guitar and buy one of the other steinbergers because they are cooler. I don't believe any guitar I've bought fits on someones cool list, they may like it but I've never heard that's a cool guitar.
Gergo
Reactions:

Even though I am not really interested in Esquire's, I don't think I would have put that one on this list. They definitely have their place, I think. All of the others, I agree with though.

Always hated the way the Steinberger guitars look, acrylic guitars suck, double necks are flat out stupid, and the Rich Bich is pretty ridiculous
My playing is always better after some good beer
honyock
Reactions:

Moral of story:

Don't buy an Esquire, build one.

It is easy to buy a pickguard, a few extra electronic components required and if you don't like it, throw a bucker or P90 in the neck.
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

The thing that keeps me from buying a Steinberger is that, for a guy my size, it would look like I was playing a blocky ukelele. Or that I had a wiggle stick on my...ahem....wiggle stick.

The later Seinbergers with bodies have more appeal.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
slowhand84
Reactions:

RiverDog wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:12 pm Saw this on another forum and thought it was too good not to post here. I agree with all but one of the five. Let me know what y'all think.

https://menga.net/the-5-types-of-guitar ... -never-buy
Honestly I think most of this list is silly at best (but honestly it's more like the author's outright arrogance is on full display), and telling people not to buy something just because it's not for you or there's something about it you don't like is preposterous.

Aesthetics are completely subjective so telling people not to buy a Steinberger because they don't "look cool" is ridiculous.

Doublenecks are mostly useful for live applications when you need to have what a doubleneck offers but don't have time/can't switch guitars...so they serve a purpose, just not for a majority of players.

Just because this guy is unable to remember a wiring scheme for a guitar doesn't make it a stupid idea, it just means he prefers simpler controls...again, just a preference.

Single pickup guitars versus double pickup guitars is again, you guessed it, just a preference...so telling people to avoid Esquires just because they're "super plain" and only have one pickup is just the opposite end of telling people not to buy a 10-string Bich because the wiring is too complex.

As for the acrylic guitars...well, no one buying one of those is buying them for tonal reasons but rather just because they "look cool".

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't buy a doubleneck because they're super heavy and not of any use to me, I wouldn't buy a Steinberger because Kiesel makes headless guitars these days that to me are way better (looks wise, playability wise, etc), I wouldn't buy an acrylic guitar because I don't care to have my guitar be see-thru and light up, and I wouldn't buy a Bich because none of the music I play would really benefit in any way from having the extra four strings.

At the same time though I wouldn't ever make it my business to tell others what they should or shouldn't buy unless someone specifically asks my opinion on a guitar or it's a question of something like build quality where it can be evaluated on the basis of something other than someone's personal preference.
mindwave
Reactions:
Gearlist: LOTS

Oh I take issue with MANY of his ideas:

1) Acrylics are VERY cool, nw I will admit I dont like the way most of the are wired. If you have a unique body type you dont use regular wiring techniques they look awfu;l. Not to mention as heavy as these things are, you need something to amke it worthwhile. I think we need a good Acrylic Guitar builder to work with one of the RGB PC Case Designers amd let them go at it!

2) 10 string BCR's - aw no, now ya done it. The BCR Perfct 10 is one of the most beutiful guitars ever created, and in the right hands it sounds AMAZNG, however all those switches? see most folks dont like em because they drink cheap beeer and cant remember what their for. OK, again lets pair up one of thsoe with a REALLY creative wiring type and amke them REALLY mean something!

3) Esquire? never even held one, so I reserve comment

4) Steinberger spirit, hey im not hop to it either, but it got my little sister into her 1st REAL band (an all female Fleetwood Mac cover), so the ONLY thing I will say is dont buy a cheap copy. I bought a chinese copy for under $200 about 10 years ago and trioed to change the string that damn tail piece/trem just EXPLODED all over the room....

5) Double neck - only experience is owning one for about 72 hours, long enough to marry a new guitar wirth a used case and make a 100% profit......

but thats just me
Mossman
Reactions:

It sounds like he owned all of these guitars at one time, and felt the need to rant.

The Esquire shouldn't have been on that list. All he proved is that he doesn't know what Esquires are all about. An Esquire is not simply a Tele that's missing a neck pickup. The pickup in an Esquire is different from a Tele bridge pickup, and it has its own switch options.

I used to know a guy who owned one of those B.C. Riches, and he loved it. Never heard him complain that he couldn't understand the wiring. I couldn't understand the wiring, but I didn't have to play it.

If I had a need to switch from 12-string to 6-string within a song, you bet I'd own a double-neck guitar... And if I didn't need one, but just wanted one because they look cool, well that would be OK too. Hell, I have no earthly need for a Rickenbacker 4080 (bass/guitar double-neck that Geddy played live), but if I had a chance to buy one and could afford it, I'd snatch it right up... And I don't even like Rickenbacker basses!

I could definitely rock a Steinberger L2 bass, so the Spirit guitar would not be a problem. I think that guy just cares too much about what other people think.

The only guitar on that list that wouldn't own is the acrylic guitar. I never thought they looked cool. I could get behind the original Dan Armstrong ones, but the stuff you see now on Ebay or Aliexpress look like garbage to me. I don't want to see all the wiring, and I don't want to play on a plastic neck... the neck should still be made of wood.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
manodano
Reactions:
Gearlist: Guitars and Amps, lots of 'em

An Esquire is a cool guitar that makes you play within its limitations.

I have THREE doublenecks, a stock 60's Danelectro, a heavily modified 60's Danelectro, and a super cool double bad ass Jerry Jones Longhorn doubleneck. But I agree, never buy a doubleneck, mainly because your bandmates will not allow themselves to be seen with you onstage wearing that ridiculous thing. You need to do some push-ups and have a strong back if you plan to play one of those for much more than three or four minutes. Hell, I strain my back and neck just strapping the damn things on. I'd love to sell all three of 'em - to the same fool.

I'd add an electric 12 to the list - I also have a couple of electric 12-strings that just had to have - a 60's Dano Bellzouki and a recent Asian Dano DC-2 - I pretty much hate those beasts.
I'm bitter about the unnecessary loss of the original AGF. I appreciate the man or men that are making this site work. The warm vibe and high level of discourse is what make this community different from those other dog-butt sites out there.