YAMAHA RGX 612S 1987 SUPERSTRAT PAWN SHOP FIND

Post here your newest acquisitions and reviews of them.
toomanycats
Reactions:

Yesterday I bought this Yamaha RGX 612S at a pawn shop for $120. It's a late 80s Superstrat in the vein of the Ibanez RG, Jackson Soloist, and such. Notable players of the Yamaha RGX series include Blues Saraceno and Ty Tabor (Kings X).

I’ve personally never played a bad Yamaha guitar. Even one of their cheaper electric guitars, the Eterna, which was a Pacifica type model sold through one of the big box stores, was very impressive to me.

The serial number is NL16104, indicating that it was made in May of 1987, in the first year of this models manufacture at Yamaha's Kaohsiung factory in Taiwan. Those words “Made in Taiwan” may be off putting to some. They used to be to me . . . but not anymore. I’ve played too many 20+ year old Squiers made in Taiwan and know that it means something entirely different from the words “Made in China” from the same period. In case you don't already know this, listen up: "Vintage" Taiwan made guitars are notably superior to "Vintage" Chinese made guitars. In the case of this Yamaha RGX 612S, the build is stellar. If you ever have a chance to grab one do not hesitate because of the "Made in Taiwan" label. If I didn't know different and somebody told me this instrument was MIJ I would believe it without hesitation.

The thought and engineering that went into this guitar is pretty amazing. It's clearly a Strat type instrument, though everything from the way the neck is joined to the body, the output jack placement, the tremolo system, upper fret access, etc., is so sensible and pragmatic. It is also unique in that the scale length is 24 3/4.

The condition is very good, with just a couple nicks on the beak of the headstock, some minor bumps, and superficial neck pocket cracks in the finish. Original parts that are missing are the trem arm and the backplate for the trem cavity. Electronics have been altered (upgraded) as noted below.

A quick rundown of the highlights:

*Beautiful Pearl White finish, both neck and body.

*Made in Japan bridge, the RM II (Yamaha Rockin’ Magic II). The strings lock at the ball end, though the balls don't need to be cut. The rest of the high quality hardware may very well be Japanese as well.
https://www.axebition.com/bridge/yamaha-rm-ii

*The neck plate(s) are Yamaha’s unique two piece “Super Playability Joint System.”

*Bound neck that feels full and round in the hand. More like a 58 Les Paul than a typical Ibanez or Jackson.

*Superb fretwork, as good as the best guitars I've ever played.

*Full sized CTS pots and quality mechanical switch.

*Bridge pickup upgraded to a SD Pearly Gates. I'd thought for sure it was going to be a JB, and when I saw it was a PG I said a little "Thank You" prayer. I assume the two ALNiCo single coils are original, and they are very good quality.
DSC00432.jpg
DSC00425.jpg
DSC00421.jpg
DSC00418.jpg
DSC00426.jpg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
toomanycats
Reactions:

DSC00406 2.jpg
DSC00409.jpg
DSC00410.jpg
DSC00411.jpg
DSC00423.jpg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
toomanycats
Reactions:

DSC00419.jpg
DSC00427.jpg
DSC00424.jpg
DSC00428.jpg
DSC00436.jpg
toomanycats
Reactions:

DSC00417.jpg
DSC00420.jpg
DSC00413.jpg
ID10t
Reactions:

Ya know when you want to be happy for someone (again), but you're not (again)?
I mean it's kinda like saying you are really lucky, but the harder you work the luckier you are. These finds don't exist near me, or maybe they do. Dang it man.
ILuvTeles
Reactions:

Congrats 'Cats!
RiverDog
Reactions:

Nice find TMC! Every time I see an RGX for sale near me I want to grab it. The only thing that holds me back is that I don't generally feel as comfortable with super strats as I used to. I agree that Yammi guitars are def high-quality, though. I lusted after a Ty Tabor model in purple for years.
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Nicely done. The only flaw with that one is yhe lock nut behind the other nut. A good guitar should have balls, but not two nuts!

Yamaha has been building great guitars for a long time, and they are often really cheap used. You really can't go far wrong, says a proud Pacifica 1221owner.

The only thing is, if the whammy bar needs parts, you could have a hard time. I found one for my Pacifica that was $56 after shipping. For the bar only. Great bridge, aside from that.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
toomanycats
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:15 pm The only thing is, if the whammy bar needs parts, you could have a hard time. I found one for my Pacifica that was $56 after shipping. For the bar only. Great bridge, aside from that.
After doing lots of online research of this guitar over the last 24 hours I began getting bombarded with advertising for parts. Man, you're not kidding about how expensive they can be, especially parts for the bridge/trem. Apparently it's proprietary to this specific Yamaha series and nothing is interchangeable with it. One guy wanted $50 for a single bridge saddle! People must be finding these just like I did and parting them out piece by piece. I could only do that if I had a guitar that was otherwise a basket case and only good for parts. I could never chop up a good, functional guitar like this.
mozz
Reactions:

Can you see if it's a thread in bar? I would think it's metric and should be able to make something work. Also, are the pots orignal, there should be a date code on a cts pot.
AGF refugee
toomanycats
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:22 pm Can you see if it's a thread in bar? I would think it's metric and should be able to make something work. Also, are the pots orignal, there should be a date code on a cts pot.
This pot looks like it has an "86" on it. Would that mean manufactured in 1986? If so, it's got to be original to the guitar.

Just quickly tried several bars. Both a Squier Classic Vibe and Fender Standard Strat bar are too small. A Floyd Rose Special bar is threaded on a ring on the outside, so it wouldn't work either. I'm thinking it is probably metric, and there's got to be something that will fit. If I wanted to keep it original I'd have to pay, but I only care about it being functional.

To be totally honest, I hardly ever put the bars in my trems anymore since I've watched Nick Johnston. There's not any dive bombs and "horse squeals" in my playing these days. If I need to create a nice warbling shimmer in a chord, or vibrate a note, I'll just push on the bridge with my palm or pull up on the edge of the tailpiece.
DSC00408.jpg
RiverDog
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:50 pm
mozz wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:22 pm Can you see if it's a thread in bar? I would think it's metric and should be able to make something work. Also, are the pots orignal, there should be a date code on a cts pot.
This pot looks like it has an "86" on it. Would that mean manufactured in 1986? If so, it's got to be original to the guitar.

Just quickly tried several bars. Both a Squier Classic Vibe and Fender Standard Strat bar are too small. A Floyd Rose Special bar is threaded on a ring on the outside, so it wouldn't work either. I'm thinking it is probably metric, and there's got to be something that will fit. If I wanted to keep it original I'd have to pay, but I only care about it being functional.

To be totally honest, I hardly ever put the bars in my trems anymore since I've watched Nick Johnston. There's not any dive bombs and "horse squeals" in my playing these days. If I need to create a nice warbling shimmer in a chord, or vibrate a note, I'll just push on the bridge with my palm or pull up on the edge of the tailpiece.

DSC00408.jpg
I can't see the entire code but this should help:

https://www.redstarguitars.com/how-to-d ... t-numbers/
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:
Gearlist: Let's talk about my Eko's...

Very cool, I like that!
In the Midnight Hour she Cried MoMoMo
toomanycats
Reactions:

Some historic literature I've found relating to the Yamaha RGX 612S.

The exact guitar I bought shown on the cover of the 1987 Yamaha Guitar Catalog.
yam 1.jpeg
yam 2.jpeg
Here the RGX 612S is shown in plum (far left) and black pearl (center).
yam 3.jpeg
yamaha-rgx-612s-02.png
1987 guitar magazine advertisement for the RGX 612S.
641b5a9d83428b41bfccb313236ecd51.jpg
AnotherJim
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile 3010 SE, Epiphone LP Studio, Fender MIM Strat and Tele, Squier Stagemaster, Squier Standard, Peavey Rotor, Samick Arts SG

That is a lot of guitar for the money!!! Man I am so jealous! Congratulations!
mozz
Reactions:

Date code looks like 1008
2010 8th week.
EP086 is a part number.
AGF refugee
TVvoodoo
Reactions:

Prizewinning Pawnshop Prowler status confirmed
Endless source of eye-rolling dad jokes, aspiring empty-nester, custom strap-maker https://reverb.com/ca/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Judging from Frets on the Net, it is a thread-in bar.

https://www.fretsonthenet.com/Gibson_Ep ... yamaha.htm

I considered getting a Floyd collar and bar for mine, but it doesn't look like it will fit. Oh, well.

But I like these. I would happily take a 211M

Or one of these beauties:

Mike Gross has a sparkle RGX that is wonderful.

"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

I was wondering when the pawnshops would open back up in your parts, looks like they still haven't changed the pricing policies. Nice score.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
toomanycats
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:01 pm I was wondering when the pawnshops would open back up in your parts, looks like they still haven't changed the pricing policies. Nice score.
They actually never closed at any time, though out of caution I did stop going to them for a couple months. When I asked a pawn shop owner about this he said that as part of the financial system they are considered an essential businesses and are therefore exempted from closure due to COVID-19. Apparently many people use pawn shops for loans and could not keep going financially without such a service being available. I suppose it's best to think of it like a bank that takes anything as collateral against a cash loan given on the spot.

When I finally did return to the pawn shops about a month ago I scored four cool guitars in pretty rapid succession: 97 Squier Affinity Strat made in Taiwan, a Schecter California Custom Strat, a Brownsville New York "Bat", and now this Yamaha RGX.
Jaymo
Reactions:
Gearlist: SX Liquid. SX Hawk. Sawtooth Tele. Ibanez GAX70L. SX Callisto STD+. Ibanez miKro bass. Jay Turser Pbass. Carvin LB70L.

@TMC I love your cat photo bombing the first pic. Talk about perfect timing.

Also, do you ever find any of these great deals on left handed guitars?
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:22 pm

DSC00432.jpg
The cat: "RU sure this is a Yamaha ?"
toomanycats
Reactions:

Jaymo wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:34 pm @TMC I love your cat photo bombing the first pic. Talk about perfect timing.

Also, do you ever find any of these great deals on left handed guitars?
It is pretty rare too see a lefty at a pawn shop, though I can recall two specific occasions when I have.

One was a sunburst Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat. I took pictures and posted a thread asking everyone what they thought about the idea of buying it to flip upside down and play Joe Perry style. The response was overwhelmingly negative, everything from "only douchebags do that," to arguments about the horrendous ergonomics and non-funtionality, to some of the resident AGF lefties stopping just short of saying, "We will kill you." Okay, maybe that last one is an exaggeration, though I could swear @mickey did mention hiring a "hitman." :shock:

The other lefty I recall seeing was a gorgeous SX Strat with a natural finish on a beautifully figured ash body. I posted pics of it and if I remember correctly @doc-knapp called the pawn shop to ask about it, but it was already gone.

So yeah, lefties are rare at the pawn shops; and if I ever do buy one you guys will never know about it because . . . well, I've got enough to worry about without having to look over my shoulder for @mickey's hit man. :lol:
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

"It is pretty rare too see a lefty at a pawn shop, though I can recall two specific occasions when I have."

This may imply that leftys are better at managing their money than rightys..or maybe they just choose to lose everything before they give up their guitars.