New Amp Incoming: JC22

Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

It seems that lately I have been accumulating gear (Vox Stomplab, Yamaha THR10C) that I always wanted to try but either didn't want to pay full price or some other reason I didn't pull the trigger. I always wanted a Jazz Chorus amp ever since I borrowed my friend's old JC120 back in the day for a few days...what a beast...at that time I had a Zoom G3 modeler/effects unit and it roared.

So I have been watching a guy here in Northern Thailand list a nearly new (2 or 3 months old) Roland Jazz Chorus at a certain price which has not moved in a month. I have been wanting to get something FRFR-ish to plug my Vox Stompab into (which sounds fabulous into a tiny little mini amp) but did not want to go full FRFR (Fender Tonemaster at $500 +) or some Stage monitor solution. I also want to try at some point one of those amp/cab in a box solutions like the Boss IR-200 or the Nux Amp Academy so this would seem to be ideal for a clean-ish platform.

So here the JC22 new lists for $540, I was able to get this 3 month old unit with original packaging for $358 a 30%+ discount. Should arrive tomorrow or Friday at the latest. The guy is a Brit in North Thailand with a 5 star FB marketplace rating so I think he's reliable.

Some pics:
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard02.png
Clipboard03.png
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

I will do a demo when it arrives later today: (maybe tomorrow for sure) but in the meantime here is a real player demoing the unit:

Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

It's here: very different from almost everything I'm used to which was the point to break out into new areas.

The Vox Stomplab works but had to do quite a bit of fiddling with the patches, especially the amp model gains to get any reasonable edge of breakup tones. The JC is just so clean..it's really 100% headroom and no distortion whatsoever in the tone stack. I think ultimately I will get a good overdrive pedal and just use the effects from the Stomplab which sound pretty good in the JC22. So far, got some useable if not ideal patches to play with but will add overdrive into the mix to complete the setup. Now using an AB switch to go from the Stomplab to either the Roland or the little Caline amp which melds with the amp models better. The Stomplab sucks quite a bit of tone too when using the models, so just for effects I think it will be fine, but for now can EQ it back to unity or close to it. Moved the Yamaha THR10C upstairs to the bedroom and man does that sound fantastic in an open room !
IMG_20240912_151839.jpg
IMG_20240912_151331.jpg
IMG_20240912_112557.jpg
dabbler
Reactions:

I'm glad for you getting a deal. But, well I just don't get trying to make this amp do drive. Nothing does everything and if it were me, I'd just let the JC do what it does best.

Different strokes for different folks. Enjoy your new acquisition!
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

HNAD! Can't wait for the vid.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

dabbler wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:43 am I'm glad for you getting a deal. But, well I just don't get trying to make this amp do drive. Nothing does everything and if it were me, I'd just let the JC do what it does best.

Different strokes for different folks. Enjoy your new acquisition!
Not looking for crazy distortion...just that subtle edge of breakup...my style ...and it does do it as the JC series is well known tio take pedals extremely well. Turn the pedal off and you still have your pristine cleans