JHS Little black box

Discussions by amplifier type.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Anyone ever try one of these to tame tube amp volume at home ?

https://jhspedals.info/products/little- ... 1hOsn9D5GL
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

'Never seen it but I like the concept.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

tlarson58 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:19 am 'Never seen it but I like the concept.
Looks like it works as advertised too

andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

I have not, but it is an extremely simple device: (1) enclosure, (2) 1/4" Jacks, (1) A500K pot, (1) 1M resistor, (1) knob, (4) rubber feet.

You need to insert it into an effects loop for it to act like a master volume and provide higher amp gain.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:59 pm I have not, but it is an extremely simple device: (1) enclosure, (2) 1/4" Jacks, (1) A500K pot, (1) 1M resistor, (1) knob, (4) rubber feet.

You need to insert it into an effects loop for it to act like a master volume and provide higher amp gain.
I guess its only real downside is it kind of renders your effects loop unusable for other pedals..but for many people it makes having a nice amp possible because you can control it now at home levels. Although JHS states they don't recommend using other pedals in the loop, many online state if you place the black Box last in the chain, everything seems to work out
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Many years ago I have what was called a Volume Box or "V" box, that some guy was making and selling on fleabay. I think they were about $20. I used link it through the effect loop in the same manner and it did the same thing this Black Box is doing. Interestingly enough I think I was using it with a Hot Rod Deluxe and found it to have the same issue, turned up it was too loud, turned down it had no tone goodness. That amp is what sent me after lower wattage tube amps as the path to tone heaven. The V box helped but I still moved on to lower wattage amps.
V Box.jpg
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:27 pm I guess its only real downside is it kind of renders your effects loop unusable for other pedals..but for many people it makes having a nice amp possible because you can control it now at home levels. Although JHS states they don't recommend using other pedals in the loop, many online state if you place the black Box last in the chain, everything seems to work out
Given that most pedals these days have a master volume, perhaps that makes this pedal redundant?
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 12:22 pm
Tonray's Ghost wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:27 pm I guess its only real downside is it kind of renders your effects loop unusable for other pedals..but for many people it makes having a nice amp possible because you can control it now at home levels. Although JHS states they don't recommend using other pedals in the loop, many online state if you place the black Box last in the chain, everything seems to work out
Given that most pedals these days have a master volume, perhaps that makes this pedal redundant?
Exactly what I was thinking, couldn't one just use any pedal with a volume control ? I guess the only consideration would be this would be a dedicated amp volume and not muck up any fine tuning you might want to use your individual pedal's master for