IR loaders

Broken down by TYPE in Sub Forums.
backinit
Reactions:

Anyone using these at all? It seems that the smaller mini pedals out there are targeted as cab IR pedals, but some have amp as well and the larger multi effects pedals are more full featured. I'm pondering the middle of the road stuff...Hotone Ampero mini, Valeton GP200 etc. How well do they pull reality off?
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

I've only used them in a Digital Audio Workstation modeling (Ampire). Not sure if they work or how they work with a standard guitar amp, but have seen people use them on FRFR amps.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:08 pm I've only used them in a Digital Audio Workstation modeling (Ampire). Not sure if they work or how they work with a standard guitar amp, but have seen people use them on FRFR amps.
Yes, most of these units will advise you to turn off your cab sims if you are plugging into a real amp/cab. So the IR loaders will only be in effect if you are going direct into a PA or perhaps into an FRFR speaker. But....what I had found with the Valeton GP2000 was that it really depends, some cab and amp sims sounded like crap pushed thru an amp but some sounded better on than off. If you are running your amp clean you will have greater success using the sims, IRs than if you let the amp pre-amp color your sound. Just my 2 cents.
littlebadboy
Reactions:

Like the Mooer Radar?

Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

littlebadboy wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:23 am Like the Mooer Radar?

These things all have a place but ultimately it all comes down to the final speaker in the chain.

When you are using these as a direct recording aid, without an amp or cab, then whatever you are using to monitor your playing is ultimately is going to color your sound. After all the digital mumbo jumbo, it's still the reverberations of your ear drum an dinner ear that define how you hear music and they are not triggered digitally (yet !) but must have an external air pusher to allow you to hear.

For my money these things are great for recording and producing slick quality music (something I have never accomplished) but ultimately it's the speakers that push the air at the end of the chain that make the difference. My old Dell PC via YouTube is defining what I hear in this wonderfully produced Mooer video....IR/Cab/Amp sims be damned.

I really prefer as a player to have a real amp, with a real cabinet and speaker sitting in front of me pushing real air and no matter what IR/Cab/Amp sim I use, it's that physical brick and mortar sound machine that makes the most difference.