SX (partly) Strat

BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Today on GC Used, I saw this old SX headstock, rosewood fretboard, and 2 point trem and thought hmm. I did notice the Squier neck plate, and I didn't think the finish looked like anything I've seen from SX, but didn't put the 2 together. I was thinking more about what looked like a Gotoh 510 trem upgrade. I like a 2 point trem, and the $120 price made me go ahead and press play.

It should be on its way soon, but I did a bit more looking. I image-searched the headstock and found this exact guitar on a site with a .ru domain, surely a scam site using a previous owner's old sale pictures. But the grain and a specific body ding told me it was the same exact guitar, with slightly better pictures than GC Used (go figure). It helped me put some details together.

This is not an SX guitar as listed. It is a Squier (maybe 2018) body with an SX neck. The pickguard, trem back plate, string trees and strap buttons are changed. But that 2 point trem looks to be stock for a Squier "Antique burst" that looks otherwise like this guitar. Ok, so it's identified for what it is.

After I get it, I'll have 45 days to decide whether this partscaster is a keeper (the best parts or the leftovers).
1.jpg
Suspect 1.jpg
Suspect 5.jpg
Suspect 4.jpg
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I didn't need another strat. But for $120 described as in "great condition" on GC used, and just had to check it out. It arrived yesterday and it was a mixed bag (spoiler, it's great).
SM Front 1.jpg
SM Front 2.jpg
It didn't have its trem arm, so I had to search what I had that fits. Found one. I tuned up and tried the guitar out. The action was horrible and the trem wasn't working well - super stiff (almost as if blocked), and the pickups were way too high. Setup time.

On the bench, the first thing I notice is the saddles are as low on the bridge as they can be. I've never seen that before, but it struck me very wrong. The fulcrum screws on the other hand were almost 1/4" too high! I guess someone decided to set the string heights using those, LOL. I took the back cover off to see 5 springs and the claw was really screwed in tight. I flipped it back over to see the bridge actually tilted back quite a way because of the fulcrum screw heights. I guess previous owner wanted to block the trem and didn't know how, so did this crazy thing.

I took off the string tension, reduced the spring count to 3, and backed the claw off to a reasonable starting point. I lowered the fulcrum screws to where they would float the trem about 3/32 above the top. The strings were now bottoming out on the pickup poles. Heh, half done, I guess. I set the height of each saddle to about right for the radius, then lowered the pickups a bit. Then I lubed the nut and had a couple rounds of adjusting the claw, saddles, and pickup heights.

Almost suddenly, the trem was floating really well, the action was great, and it sounded awesome, even staying in tune very well. I notice the staggered pole pickups don't look like SX or Squier, they're something else but sound great. They reveal every minute detail with full, round, glassy tones.This thing is playing and sounding as good as any of my real strats. I couldn't be happier. So I took some cleaner to it, and even found what I thought was a dent in the top was just some yuck that cleaned right off. The guitar looks far better with just a wipe down.

I don't know why I've been so lucky with bargain guitars lately, but I have no complaints. For $120 I stole this thing. I'm going to find a better arm for this guitar and give it a case because it's staying and in fact, I like it more than the MIM strats... it's up there with the USA and Japan strats for tone and feel.

So it's an SX neck on (I think) a Squier body and the pickups are something else, but they're wonderful. I don't really want to open it up to see more because it has no other reason to undergo surgery. Guitars like this are the best reason I watch GC Used. One more note on that trem. I don't know anyone else's perspective, but to me the 2 point trems with knife edges are just so much smoother and more stable and easier to set up than the 6 screw trems, there's no contest. They even float easily.
glasshand
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:52 am One more note on that trem. I don't know anyone else's perspective, but to me the 2 point trems with knife edges are just so much smoother and more stable and easier to set up than the 6 screw trems, there's no contest. They even float easily.
100% agreed with you. I think there's a reason that even Leo Fender himself moved away from the 6-screw trems.
dabbler
Reactions:

Great find.

What tells you that is a Squier body?
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

dabbler wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:52 pm Great find.
Thanks!
dabbler wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:52 pm What tells you that is a Squier body?
The listing had a back picture that revealed a Squier neck plate as my first hint. Then I google image-searched it and a number of Squier Standards with the same finish called "Antique burst" came up, also lefty. All of them appeared to had the same bridge, so I'm pretty sure the body is one of those. One of those google hits was Sweetwater's old listing for them new, which seem to match perfectly (except the pick guard).
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ingerboard
Jaymo
Reactions:
Gearlist: SX Liquid. SX Hawk. Sawtooth Tele. Ibanez GAX70L. SX Callisto STD+. Ibanez miKro bass. Jay Turser Pbass. Carvin LB70L.

I almost bought one of those Squier Standard Strats with the antique burst finish. Wish I had. I love that finish.
honyock
Reactions:

I had a same finish/same model a bit over 7 years ago, had a very poorly done scotch brite job done on the finish that I fixed with some elbow grease and some micromesh. It was a very nice guitar, but my '98 MIM Squier Standard was just a bit better, so I sold it off.

The SX neck would be an upgrade IMO.

The bridge posts can sometimes crack the body. Only drawback of the Asian 2-point Squier Standard vs. The 6 Point MIM Squier Standard trem.
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.