Martin D-18ish Acoustic Build

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

Over the weekend I spent some time flat sanding the finish on the body. I'm leaving the majority of polishing until the very end, but I need the top polished, as well as either side of the neck pocket on the upper bout on the sides of the body, so I can fit the bridge and neck, respectively.

Here's the unpolished back, and the polished top. This was my first time using micro mesh, and I am now a huge fan. I don't have the luxury of a buffing arbor to get a super gloss finish, but honestly, I'm not sure I care right now. This looks pretty damn good as it is.

TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

Lastly, with the lacquer coats on the headstock curing, I've been rubbing tru oil on the rest of the neck. I much prefer the feel of tru oil to a sticky glossy lacquered neck.

First coat...

And 7th coat. I'll likely stop here with the oil. I may dull the shine a little bit on the back of the neck yet, but I'll wait till I've played it for a while and see.

TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

I've knocked down a couple big jobs over the weekend, but didn't take near enough pictures, unfortunately.

This was just a small job, but I flat sanded and micro meshed the headstock. The end result is glossy but it has a hint of a blue haze that doesn't really show on the body, which has the same lacquer finish. It could just need a good buffing, but elbow grease and polish wasn't enough. I'll need to do consider a buffing arbor in the future.

TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

I skipped over a lot of work in this pic. I spent time fitting the heel, using sandpaper between the heel and body, applying pressure and then pulling the sandpaper out. Its a slow tedious job, but it results in a heel that's perfectly matched to the body.

After that I was able to determine the bridge location, using a fret spacing ruler and a triangle square, in relation the center line of the body. Once I established that location, I traced the bridge shape onto the body. I placed masking tape underneath the bridge to trace onto first.

From there, I used a razor to lightly etch just inside the tracing lines, by about 0.050". This gives me just a bit of leeway to hide any goofs under the bridge itself. This is just a light cut through the finish, I don't want to cut into the top itself.

From there I used a dremel router to
remove most of the finish between the lines, and a chisel to remove the rest.

Here's the end result.

TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

After that, I had to route a corresponding edge around the underside of the bridge itself, to allow the bridge to sit inside the bridge route on the body and make contact with the exposed wood on the sound board.

Here I'm double checking the bridge location, and putting a few pieces of tape around the bridge to help me keep the bridge in the correct spot during glue up.

TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

At last, the bridge is glued in place.

TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

That just leaves the neck. I spent some time shimming the dovetail for a perfect fit, then I etched and routed the finish on the soundboard to fit the fret board extension. This time I etched the exact outline of the extension, rather than keeping to the inside of the line.

With that done it was go time. I put glue on the exposed fret board route, squeezed the dovetail into place by hand and clamped the dovetail in super tight, added the bolt, then clamped the fret board extension and cleaned up the glue squeeze out.

It's all one big guitar shaped object now. Time to radius the fret board and install frets this week.

TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

Question: Does anything look odd about this picture? I think it does, but I want to see if its noticeable to anyone else.

I sanded in the radius on the fret board (12" radius) and added some mother of pearl dot inlays. Tonight, frets.

uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

TheIrritableLuthier wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:29 am Question: Does anything look odd about this picture? I think it does, but I want to see if its noticeable to anyone else.

I sanded in the radius on the fret board (12" radius) and added some mother of pearl dot inlays. Tonight, frets.

The only thing I notice is a pretty amazing guitar - thanks for re-posting all the pics here on the new site and keeping the thread alive. I will await more trained eyes to pick out the oddness whatever it may be.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
fullonshred
Reactions:

Just incredible to me what you are doing. Kudos to you and thanks for re-upping the pictures!
TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:18 pm
The only thing I notice is a pretty amazing guitar - thanks for re-posting all the pics here on the new site and keeping the thread alive. I will await more trained eyes to pick out the oddness whatever it may be.
Thanks! Its probably not something that would stand out to most people, and that's what I'm counting on. It bugs me but not enough to try undo it.
fullonshred
Reactions:

TheIrritableLuthier wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:04 pm
Thanks! Its probably not something that would stand out to most people, and that's what I'm counting on. It bugs me but not enough to try undo it.
psssst..... you might wanna add a nut, some tuners and some strings..... :mrgreen:
JeffBeck
Reactions:

TheIrritableLuthier wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:29 am Question: Does anything look odd about this picture? I think it does, but I want to see if its noticeable to anyone else.

I don't see anything odd, either. Looks like a beautiful, almost-completed guitar. I can't wait to hear some sound clips of it.

Outstanding work!
TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

fullonshred wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:11 pm
TheIrritableLuthier wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:04 pm
psssst..... you might wanna add a nut, some tuners and some strings..... :mrgreen:
Dammit! I knew I forgot something :D
TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

Ok, it must just be my own OCD tendencies then if it doesn't stand out to anyone else. I have 4 dot inlays before the 12th fret and 4 dots after it. It didn't seem odd to me at the time, but when I finished, stood back and admired my work it seemed like there were too many dots past the 12th fret.

When I started looking at pics online it seems most acoustics don't have more than a couple dots inlays past the 12th fret. There's obviously no rules and I can do as I damn well please, but my eye sees an imbalance in symmetry, since there's no inlays at the start of the fret board until the 3rd fret.

I considered drilling it out and filling it with dust and glue, but my experiments on scraps weren't convincing. It didn't blend in convincingly enough and just seemed to draw more attention to it than just leaving the inlay as is.

I'll keep it in mind for next time, but I'm going to leave good enough alone I think.
JeffBeck
Reactions:

[mention]TheIrritableLuthier[/mention] I prefer 4 dots. I wish that was on every guitar.
ILuvTeles
Reactions:

Gorgeous!

I don't think the extra dot will impact the playability!
TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

ILuvTeles wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:46 pm Gorgeous!

I don't think the extra dot will impact the playability!
I sure hope not. Fingers crossed! :lol:
mickey
Reactions:

Well, if it does destroy the playability for you.
You could always convert it to a lefty and ship it to me. :)
Gandalf the Intonationer
Flatline
Reactions:

JeffBeck wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:38 pm @TheIrritableLuthier I prefer 4 dots. I wish that was on every guitar.
Same here.
TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

Well, the damn frets are in. Fretwork is my least favorite part of this process.

I had to deepen the fret slots after radiusing the fret board, which I expected. I did this by hand, obviously, and I think the ends of the slots were flared open ever so slightly in the process.

This meant the ends of the frets didn't want to seat fully down against the board. I used super glue to help seat the ends to start with, then I remembered a trick. You can use the claw side of the hammer to strike the bottom of the fret tang and widen it out. There's also specialty tools for crimping and widening fret tangs, but I don't have them, so this trick would have to do.

It helped, but I still used some glue to make sure the ends were seated. However, on one fret i got a little overzealous and widened the tang a tad too much. When I hammered the fret in, it blew out a small chunk of the fret board beside the fret. F@$%!

More super glue to the rescue. A little sanding and scraping and all is well.

For the frets over the body, I don't have a fret buck to allow me to hammer those in. So for those, I opted to file the barbs off the fret tang and just glue those frets in. Not ideal, but it works. If I ever have to take the neck off in the future, those frets will pop right out, but I'll cross that bridge in the future.

That process wasn't without its hiccups. On one of the frets I used just a bit too much super glue, and the excess squirted out the end onto the masking tape I had on the soundboard, leaked underneath and glued the tape to the top. So I get to scrape that away and possibly touch up the finish.

Finally, the stick I was using to press and hold the frets in place while the glue set decided to slip off the fret and went slamming into the soundboard. Didn't seem to do any damage at first, but when I took the tape off at the end, there's a line of little dents in the top from the rough edge of the stick. So there's some drop filling and touch up work yet to come. Yay.

Next build I'm going to experiment with pressing the frets onto the soundboard while the neck is off the body, and try to avoid some of this grief.

Next steps, I have to file the fret ends, clean up the fret board a bit, and the start leveling and crowning.

Here's the dents in the top. They're not visible looking directly at it, but you can see them in the light.

UrenragK
Reactions:

What a superb build, thanks for sharing!
TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

I had the day off yesterday so I went hard on this. Now that the frets were in, it was level-crown-polish time. I think most of us know what that entails, so I didn't take any pics of that process.

After a few hours of that fun fest, it was time to cut the saddle slot in the bridge. Here's the jig all set up and ready to go.

TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

And here's the finished slot.

TheIrritableLuthier
Reactions:

With that done, it's time to drill holes for the bridge pins. I re-established center on the slot, then marked out a 2 1/8" string spacing. I then transposed those marks 7/16" back from the slot, and used a nut spacing ruler to find the remaining locations.

Here's the holes marked and ready for drilling.