Whats your' latest gear acquisition?

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
Partscaster
Reactions:

NGD, 2002 es-333 has arrived.

It plays well. When the last owner bought it used in 2007, he took it to Nashville where a Gibson factory tech changed out the pickups to 57 Classics ( it was built with 490t/r ?) and set it up for him. It still plays great. Very robust/loud unplugged. Action is a hair lower than I usually have. Zero string buzz up and down.
Does have a small hairline crack in top layer under jack washer where someone overtightened the jack nut. Its about an inch long and not visible from inside control area so I'm thinking its likely just top layer of the 3 ply layers that took a little crush.

Plugged in, I have never enjoyed a big semi-hollow like I enjoy this. Plugged straight in to my 15w Gibson Falcon set at 10: oclock it gets this big profile with sweet edge of breakup.
Great neck/mid/bridge. I'm so glad I got this...plus the backplate access.

I will experiment to see if I can swap pups around and get a hair more open sounding with my low wind Onamacs or the wcr Crossroads neck (7.5) with a HP90 bridge (9.0).
The 57's were very good, But I could hear how some more note separation could be an improvement, if I can retain the early growl. A new harness might open the tone up a bit, too.

The pots look fairly crusty , although no crackle. I've already ordered four 525k cts audial taper and a new switch and pio russian caps.

Eventually I'm gonna remove all hardware and virtuoso clean/polish the entire thing. It was built with satin nitro finish that is said to hand polish down into a nice vintage look. It will get gold top hats, longer pickguard, like an old 59'.

Tuners are nice and smooth.
Stoptail is slightly magnetic. I can try an aluminum from another guitar. IDK much about that, but will try it.
ABR-1 is not magnetic at all, so I'm guessing zink cast with nickel plated brass saddles, but IDG, I can swap in a Faber from another guitar to hear it, too.
No sign of fret wear or scalloping. The owner played harp in a blues band , mostly. He played guitar, some.
This is a great guitar.

Tonebender: neck is their "60s" profile with .810 back to front of fb at 1st, and 8.875 at 12th. It has wide shoulders with a flattish back feel. It fills the hand with the shoulders. I'd say it feels bigger than a 60's C because of those shoulders.
IMG_0594.jpg
IMG_0598.jpg
IMG_0596.jpg

The tenon has a gap behind it. As if it's bottom side were cut to a flat before the heel face received its 4 degree neck angle. So I'm guessing its a 4 degree tapered gap behind/underneath the tenon. It seems glued well on every other surface. And there is some excess glue blob pushed forward of the tenon in rout. I'm going to reinforce this with Titebond and shims. I'm going to place a few tiny maple wedges right under front edge of tenon, and pour some tightbond on it. I wont be filling the entire gap that is under there, I will create a dam of the tiny maple wedges out in the tenon route. And the titebond should'nt get in the way of any future reset in the possible in the next thousand years. This looks like a typical tenon for a non Historic 335 based on some searching. Historics tenon looks wider and fully fill the rout.

with little wedges jammed under tongue, and glued.
IMG_0599.jpg
and finished , using 1" round dowel cut pieces glued in with "titebond original" for solid fill, and could still allow for neck removal if ever needed. Epoxy would damage surrounding wood if neck ever needed removal.
IMG_0626.jpg
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
glasshand
Reactions:

Well, I said I was pretty much done buying pedals...but of course you still have to browse your local CL, right? Just in case something interesting comes up. And there was this Plutoneium Chi-Wah-Wah, for a very reasonable price, and in just the next neighborhood over! I feel like I've gone through most of the switchless wahs on the market (95Q, Weeping Demon, Kilo-Wah, Mega-Wah EDIT: Bad Horsie as well! can't believe I forgot that one; I think that was what started my switchless wah journey ) but I hadn't gotten my hands on a Chi-Wah-Wah yet.

Photo is not mine, just a stock photo, but they look the same.

First observations: This thing is very small - standard pedal size. Also, the wah works "backwards" from the way most wahs do, due to its construction, which is to say that heel down means higher frequency. It takes a little getting used to, but only a little. I think Plutoneium says that you should keep your heel on the floor and operate the pedal with your toe, which I haven't tried yet, but that might make it feel a little more traditional.

I don't love that the knobs are chrome with only a small black indicator dot, which is going to be impossible to see on a dark stage, BUT they do have a detent at the middle position, so you can operate them by feel.

So far I haven't tried it on battery power, but this is not encouraging. An allen key? Two halves of the baseplate? Really?
Invert the unit and locate the four corner screws. Using the provided Allen key, remove the screws to loosen the base plate. Remove the base plate slowly and separate the two halves*. The Input and Output jacks are connected to the main circuit board by a ribbon cable; do not strain this unnecessarily. Lay the halves down together on a flat surface.
But it sounds great! The default settings sound good, maybe a little on the sharp and modern side of wahs, but that's what I like, and there's enough range in all of the controls to really let you adjust the sound. Having built-in level and gain controls is great.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

@Partscaster That 333 is very nice! My band mate's 335 has that same neck, it makes it feel wide but it is no wider than any other. Those shoulders cause that. It is better to me that a ball bat 50's but still hard for me to bond with.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
Partscaster
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:58 am @Partscaster That 333 is very nice! My band mate's 335 has that same neck, it makes it feel wide but it is no wider than any other. Those shoulders cause that. It is better to me that a ball bat 50's but still hard for me to bond with.
Thanks Tonebender. I currently have it getting ready for playing, buffed, new hardware in place here and there, and awaiting final bridge posts to arrive. The 57 Classics are going back in to start pup comparisons. I have 3 bridges to compare. Really looking forward to getting it back together.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Partscaster
Reactions:

all spruced up now, new knobs, gold bridge and tailpiece, and longer pickguard for "vintage look" , has the 57 Classics in it. Very good sounding.

IMG_0635.jpg

I love the neck. I can scatter around it.
Its an inspiring guitar for me. I want a trem on it, and may need to add a Dysenburg les trem ( is that the name?) they are transparent sounding.
Id need a new case for it as they are so tall, or so I've read.
dabbler
Reactions:

Another Harley Benton bass:
PXL_20230317_211503786.jpg
PXL_20230317_211519721.jpg
PJ55OP, it's another great value from HB. Roasted neck, brass saddles, 6 bolt joint and master volume with blend instead of VVT, AND it's passive. I LOVE IT!
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Crap picture (and please excuse the mess -- my kids are winning), but nabbed this for well below market value in my area.
20230323_134744.jpg
More details in a NGD post sometime in the next couple of days.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
jtcnj
Reactions:

Scored a very dirty Squier SE strat yesterday which appears to be complete and in great condition under all the garage dust, grime, and dirt.

Gave me the amp; didn't want it but maybe some useful parts there.

Full 1.75" thickness body = good mod platform. I'll clean it up, string it and play it a bit before making any changes.
20230329_191937-2.jpg
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
Partscaster
Reactions:

There's been some pretty attractive looking inexpensive guitar purchases flying around here.
I am joining in with this short scale JM from CNZ Audio, via Amazon. $169 free shipping.
I have an old set of p90 sized T-Armonds from tvjones (11.5k / 7.8k)that will go into this, as I have been jonesing over the thought of something close to a Ric 325 (maple, with 20.75 scale, Ric Toasters).
This mini JM alleges to have a maple body and maple neck w/ RW fretboard. 22" scale, 42mm nut. Strat type tremolo. Could be Alder body based on full scale version description, but who knows. Their text looks like a copy/paste miss. Alder would even be fine in my mind as early Ric 325 was alder before switching to maple body about 1964.
Its the 22" scale with p90's that will get me close with my T-Armonds.

" CNZ Audio JM Mini Electric Guitar - 3-Ply Tortoise Pickguard, Maple Neck, 3/4 Short Scale (22 inches) (7/8 length), Twin P-90 Pickups, Pure Tone Awesomeness! (Midnight Blue, Right Handed)"

I might have to round off the headstock hook, a bit, and sand it down to no logo.
61NTUMLubLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81wd5NysjBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
littlebadboy
Reactions:

GOC Materia 7 carved top.

Rollin Hand
Reactions:

littlebadboy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:24 am GOC Materia 7 carved top.

Jésus Marimba!
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
artandsoul
Reactions:

Been offline for awhile so dam busy with 100 projects its a full time job on its own! Picked up a new in box delta 10" band saw from 2007 at auction for 140 bux. one of the few wood working toys ive never owned but im ready to make some sawdust for sure! bought a few blade sizes already and have dreams of cutting out tele body blanks lol.

Just bought a harley benton st-20hh active flat black on black 1 vol knob strat for a great price 128 shipped says like new but who knows till i get it. has the benton hbz active pickups which seem to sound ok on utube but we all know never know till u hear it. 1st active pickup guitar ive bought so it will be a love or hate within 5 minutes lol.

20230403_154531_HDR.jpg
jyxfcwnu7wio8bouckel.jpg
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

If you get a lot of noise from the pickups, apparently the finish on the bridge is non conductive, so the ground wire doesn't ground. Just grind away the finish where the ground wire touches the bridge, you should be golden.
- Ron Swanson
artandsoul
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:16 am If you get a lot of noise from the pickups, apparently the finish on the bridge is non conductive, so the ground wire doesn't ground. Just grind away the finish where the ground wire touches the bridge, you should be golden.
I did see some utubes where people said the pickups were noisy but figure it was the cheapo benton pickups themselves making it noisy. If its painted the ground def doesnt ground out correctly and the fix u say should remedy that for sure. Ill def remember that when i get it if its noisy good fix hint for sure!
It seems 90% of the time i change out stock pickups in any guitar ive ever bought so the bridge may get swapped out for an emg or something if i feel the guitar is worthy of it. Im scared actives are to loud aka bright for me but maybe great for drop tunings.
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
Narsh
Reactions:
Gearlist: Main Guitars: Kiesel Aries 7, Kiesel SCB6H,
Main Bass: Yamaha TRBX305
Main Amps: Kemper Profiler, AxeFX II XL+, Neural DSP Parallaxe
Recording: MAC,Reaper, Focusrite 8i8 Gen3, JBL LSR308
And much, much, more...

I recently picked up a POD Go and I was so impressed I moved on a Helix Rack unit! It’s so much better than what I expected.
Attachments
DBB13C6A-DC1B-43DC-9154-6B1273C7D8F2.jpeg
SamIV
Reactions:

F956C701-C1A2-4747-8722-737649EC0C40.jpeg
A2F08857-1CBB-445B-B1C0-C1E3AC2C59FD.jpeg
Godin RG3 Passion Indigo Burst

Picked up locally for a great deal with a brand new tweed case. He also threw in an Orange 20 Crush amp. Going to j sell the amp and case. I have a Godin soft case from back in my other Godin days. Easiest of my guitars do play even though it has the longest scale length. Stickers still on the guitar and case and hang tags still on the amp. Bought it to learn to play but decided he would rathe play acoustics
jtcnj
Reactions:

Another Squier SE strat rescue.
This one wasn't AS grimy and dirty as the first, but has more rust on the hardware and more issues. Frets oxidized quite a bit.
20230426_181521.jpg
20230426_181541.jpg
20230426_190436.jpg
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
Morrison
Reactions:

Narsh wrote:I recently picked up a POD Go and I was so impressed I moved on a Helix Rack unit! It’s so much better than what I expected.
Nice!!

I picked an HX Stomp a few weeks ago. Was tempted by the Helix Rack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Narsh
Reactions:
Gearlist: Main Guitars: Kiesel Aries 7, Kiesel SCB6H,
Main Bass: Yamaha TRBX305
Main Amps: Kemper Profiler, AxeFX II XL+, Neural DSP Parallaxe
Recording: MAC,Reaper, Focusrite 8i8 Gen3, JBL LSR308
And much, much, more...

Morrison wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:30 pm
Narsh wrote:I recently picked up a POD Go and I was so impressed I moved on a Helix Rack unit! It’s so much better than what I expected.
Nice!!

I picked an HX Stomp a few weeks ago. Was tempted by the Helix Rack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the POD is fantastic! But the Helix Rack is next level. Especially when you throw in some Ownhammer IR’s. I’m legitimately blown away by how far Line 6 has come.
glasshand
Reactions:

I got this for about 30% off because it was marked "DEMO", but I don't think this box has ever been opened. (The marks are on the box cover.) I plan to put it in my Frankenpeavey.
PXL_20230503_194007498.jpg
slowhand84
Reactions:

Just grabbed this beautiful Brian Moore w/piezo from GC for a really nice price. Should arrive in a couple of days, in the meantime here's a photo you KNOW is from GC since it's "photoshoot with a flip phone from 20 years ago" quality :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
000000118860554-00-2000x2000.jpg
slowhand84
Reactions:

Got the Brian Moore shown above today and it's going right back, I guess after 30-ish insane GC steals over the years I had to FINALLY get a little boned :lol: .

This was listed as being in "excellent condition", which is the highest GC rating and described as "like new, free of blemishes or marks". Let me know if any of you guys think this qualifies :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
IMG_3185.jpg
IMG_3186.jpg
IMG_3184.jpg
tobijohn
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:24 pm Got the Brian Moore shown above today and it's going right back, I guess after 30-ish insane GC steals over the years I had to FINALLY get a little boned :lol: .

This was listed as being in "excellent condition", which is the highest GC rating and described as "like new, free of blemishes or marks". Let me know if any of you guys think this qualifies :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boy oh boy, are you picky! :)
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
slowhand84
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:48 pm
slowhand84 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:24 pm Got the Brian Moore shown above today and it's going right back, I guess after 30-ish insane GC steals over the years I had to FINALLY get a little boned :lol: .

Boy oh boy, are you picky! :)
I know right, total primadonna :lol:
Partscaster
Reactions:

Just ordered a used set of Klein Epic Series 1955 pickups off reverb.
These will be my most low wound set ever tried. At 5.5/5.6/5.6 ohms they still have a full rich tone.
They will come in a good looking loaded anodized pickguard with extra white pickguard.

sound clips and description
https://www.kleinpickups.com/p-260-1955 ... ckups.aspx