Amazing "Pedal Amp Board"

stevebway
Reactions:

IMG_4565.JPG
IMG_4566.jpg
Relying on Amp-Sims as many recordists do and for good reason, I have longed to bring some “moving air” of the analog into my sound. The availability of small tube amps has been a boon to guitar players but even One Watts can be very loud for an apartment dweller. My goal was to create a classic Rock tone with some boost on the “front end” to create good crunch to somewhat beyond medium overdrive with a great dirt pedal and an attenuator on the “back end” to choke down the power tubes to get REAL AMP OVERDRIVE and the compression you want. I wanted a nice “slap-back”which the TC “ Echoplex” clone does in a very classic way thats controlable yet “untamed” (paradox) . The “ X-Blender “ is essentially a buffered FX loop that keeps the guitar signal true yet has both Eq and boost ( yet another paradox) I have the slap back in that tames some of the feedback so I can drive the delay harder without excessive repeats to get that beautiful SWELL of the old tape echo units. The Wampler is one of the most useful dirt pedals which is actually 3 pedals in one with vastly different gain characteristics to drive the preamp while not pushing the “tone stack”. The “ Cherry on top” that makes it all come together is the Bughera PS-1 power soak, an attenuator that puts a load on the output section of the amp allowing me to get REAL tube distortion from the amp at listening levels.
I am so happy with this rig. I can get authentic tones from Humbuckers, P90s and Fender Pickups at all levels of overdrive with amp sounds that emulate Marshalls, Mesa Boogies and Fenders. I have my very musical “Dumble” tones that clean up with the knob of my guitar and very aggressive Power distortion as well, all through an 8” speaker. The MXL mic has 2 tranducers with a mix control to record this thing into . I'll be on this rig for weeks to come. Amps are expensive, take up a lot of space and are way too loud for how I use them. I have DREAMED of a rig like this one. Modeling amps are great but this has that mysterious tube magic , the “hair” , the compression that make those tones the ones everyone is trying to emulate.
I'm proud of this one ...
The Ham what AM...
golem
Reactions:

So you're using the Wang Mini 5 as your amp? I don't have that but I have no doubt that 5 watts can be too loud for home use at times.
stevebway
Reactions:

golem wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:38 pm So you're using the Wang Mini 5 as your amp? I don't have that but I have no doubt that 5 watts can be too loud for home use at times.
The PS-1 is rated for 100 watts so it really attenuates a 5 watt. PS-1 stays cool, amp gets a little hot but not horrible.I think it'll take it. I'm just getting in to the tonez. Overdone there's a bit of fizz but I've been able to eliminate a lot of it. Cleans up very nice with the volume knob.
The Ham what AM...
golem
Reactions:

stevebway wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:00 pm
The PS-1 is rated for 100 watts so it really attenuates a 5 watt. PS-1 stays cool, amp gets a little hot but not horrible.I think it'll take it. I'm just getting in to the tonez. Overdone there's a bit of fizz but I've been able to eliminate a lot of it. Cleans up very nice with the volume knob.
If I recall correctly that Bugera stole its design from an attenuator Soldano designed for Jet City. If it's true to the original design, Soldano argues it safer to assume it attenuates 50 watts. Not that it matters for your use, I'm just staying true to the fact that I'm a gear nerd. That looks like a great setup.
golem
Reactions:

I put it in an offer one of those Wang Mini 5 due to your endorsement:

Checking this it does seem to sound good.

Edit: The offer was countered for about $5 more so I took him up. Getting an amp that I think can be used with 220 volts with the flip of the switch on the back is awesome for someone who travels internationally.
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

Looks like a great rig for its purpose! I'd love to hear some clips! Does that metal shelf make any noise with the speaker rumbling???
If I had something witty to say, I'd put it here.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I do like Eminence speakers. I find them pleasing to my ears.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
stevebway
Reactions:

I can choke that thing down so much I get a pure tone at low levels that are Over Driven. That PS-1 is the shit
The Ham what AM...