Popping popcorn in an air fryer????

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
mickey
Reactions:

I've recently encountered stuff about people popping popcorn in their air fryers.
Note this is supposed to be for small batches so if you try it you'll have to experiment.
Does anyone do this? If you do please share the info!!!

The best available instructions I have (and have NOT tried.)
Line bottom of basket with aluminium foil (to keep kernels from falling thru the holes.)
Place a teaspoon of your favorite oil in a small bowl, add popcorn kernels & mix oil thoroughly.
Preheat at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. ( I guess the time would depend on your experience with your air fryer?)
Add popcorn & pop until popping stops.
Season to taste.

Supposed to be good for small batches.
You will need to experiment with whatever air popper you have!

Should you try this, please let us know here how it worked for you.

Mickey
Gandalf the Intonationer
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

My wife bought one when we got the new house. She did not want me to use the Fry Daddy for wings any longer because she said it stunk up the kitchen. Tried it once and gave it away to a friend. It really does seem like it is a "Cook for one" appliance. I hope it works out for you. I have not had wings made at home in almost three years now. I miss that.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
mickey
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:54 pm My wife bought one when we got the new house. She did not want me to use the Fry Daddy for wings any longer because she said it stunk up the kitchen. Tried it once and gave it away to a friend. It really does seem like it is a "Cook for one" appliance. I hope it works out for you. I have not had wings made at home in almost three years now. I miss that.
Jeff, I'm still using the "red mushroom" I had when you were here. That is the best popcorn popper I've ever used. I just ran into the suggestion of popping popcorn in an air fryer in several different places today. So it got me to wondering if it was a good idea??????????????????????

Gandalf the Intonationer
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

My dad used to make the best popcorn in a pot with some Crisco. Yum! My sister and I would sit one on each side of him watching TV and he'd have a giant bowl sitting on his knees. Fond memories. Later in life the popcorn came in a jar with the oil with the oil. There was Jiffy-Pop but I did not have that but a couple of times. Then finally the microwave kind became all the rage. I never like it but it did put a pleasing aroma in the air at the office. These days I just buy a bag of the white cheddar kind ready to eat.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Nope. Air popper, microwave butter into lava and pour over, then garlic salt. Nom.
Flatline
Reactions:

Not for popcorn, but my wife has 2 of them and we use the heck out of them.
peskypesky
Reactions:

I would not try it in an air fryer.

I use one of these and it's awesome:
Banned by Momo
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

I was inspired by this thread to buy good old fashioned popcorn kernels, not the kind preseasoned in a bag. I don't have an air fryer but I will make some tonite in a bowl in the microwave and then just lightly season with some chili salt (it's a Thailand thing they use for fruit). Pics to follow...

3 minutes on high microwave in ceramic bowl with lid perfect. Just some sea salt for seasoning
IMG_20221016_132542.jpg
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

For small quantities of popcorn, I do it in the microwave but with regular popping corn and a brown paper lunchbag. I put about 1/4 cup of kernels in the bottom of the bag, put in about tablespoon of oil ( I use olive ), shake it up and fold the top of the bag over. Way cheaper than buying prepackaged microwave popcorn and it doesn't have all the chemistry experiment ingredients.

One thing you have to be very watchful of though is burning it. Every microwave is different,I have found that mine works perfectly at about 1:35 on the timer on high. You have to listen for the popping to start slowing down and shut off the power. You literally have about a 15 second window before you end up with a nuclear meltdown of charred corn.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
mickey
Reactions:

Well, I tried it & compared to my hot air popper, it was a waste of time.
I guess if you didn't have a way of popping corn otherwise????????????????????????????????
Gandalf the Intonationer
peskypesky
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:29 am You literally have about a 15 second window before you end up with a nuclear meltdown of charred corn.
Yup. Every time I've burned popcorn, it was like a toxic bomb when off in the kitchen. HORRIBLE stench, lots of acrid smoke...just godawful.
Banned by Momo
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

peskypesky wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:22 am I would not try it in an air fryer.

I have another version of same, and you can't beat it.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
Raindog
Reactions:

I got this wonderful device called a microwave where I make mine.
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:00 pm Line bottom of basket with aluminium foil (to keep kernels from falling thru the holes.)
Doesn't this defeat the mechanism of an Air Fryer? Isn't it just a convection oven? I live by myself and use my air fryer at least once a week. I'm pretty sure the flow of hot air is the point. I could be wrong, though.
If I had something witty to say, I'd put it here.
jimbocaster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Artist formerly known as Shizengiggles...

peskypesky wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:22 am I would not try it in an air fryer.

My wife uses one of these...works great for her
Formerly known as Shizengiggles
tonebender
Reactions:

Did you fellas know about the Popcorn Diet? Yep, there is a popcorn diet.
mickey
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:16 pm Did you fellas know about the Popcorn Diet? Yep, there is a popcorn diet.
Nope, didn't know about the popcorn diet but
I got an email yesterday telling how to poach eggs in an air fryer. :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:03 am
tonebender wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:16 pm Did you fellas know about the Popcorn Diet? Yep, there is a popcorn diet.
Waiting for the "Anyone ever poach eggs in a popcorn machine ?" thread
tonebender
Reactions:

Ok, as a result of this thread I found myself staring at all the popcorn offerings in the grocery store. I ended up with Orville's small bag microwave option and some white cheddar cheese seasoning to sprinkle in. Only 100 calories per bag. I have already had 200 calories worth.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

tonebender wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:53 pm My dad used to make the best popcorn in a pot with some Crisco. Yum! My sister and I would sit one on each side of him watching TV and he'd have a giant bowl sitting on his knees. Fond memories. Later in life the popcorn came in a jar with the oil with the oil. There was Jiffy-Pop but I did not have that but a couple of times. Then finally the microwave kind became all the rage. I never like it but it did put a pleasing aroma in the air at the office. These days I just buy a bag of the white cheddar kind ready to eat.
When I was a kid, my mom would take a pot, dab in a tablespoon of lard, cook the popcorn and finish with a tablespoon of butter and salt! Then again, that is when McDonalds used lard in their fryers, even on the apple pies.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
tonebender
Reactions:

Nothing better than sliced up potatoes with some onions fried up in an iron skillet with about 1/2" of Crisco. We were poor and that would be dinner. I thought we were rich.
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:03 am
I've "hard boiled" eggs in my air fryer before. Learned that one through TikTok.
If I had something witty to say, I'd put it here.
tonebender
Reactions:

They need a new term other than "fry". There is grease involved when one fries something. Unless it is a circuit board, although grease could do that too. It seems to me it is really baking. An oven creates a hot atmosphere and bakes food. I think that is more what an "air fryer" is doing. I think they call it "frying" because people love fried food but are told it is not healthy. If they called it an "air baker" everyone would just conclude they already have an oven. True is circulates the air but so does a convection oven.

Perhaps I am over thinking it. LOL
PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

I got a junked air fryer at the local reuse/recycle. These are tabletop super-convection ovens!
Sadly, my unit works well(?) BUT has a very poor tray design, so I have to be careful handling it.

Looking for recipes you like, BTW
The other farm cats didn’t super love him but the chickens thought he was alright so he became a chicken.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

PoodlesAgain wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:24 am I got a junked air fryer at the local reuse/recycle. These are tabletop super-convection ovens!
Sadly, my unit works well(?) BUT has a very poor tray design, so I have to be careful handling it.

Looking for recipes you like, BTW
We have a convection toaster oven and a Njinja, which does the air fryer, pressure cooker, etc. There is a lot of overlap in the two appliances.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob