Which soldering station why?

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I was cheap and I'm paying for that with constant fear. Maybe that's exaggerated, but not a lot. Here's the deal. My soldering station works well, but about half the time, thermal expansion meets bad design at the most inopportune moments. Where the arrow is, it overheats and the threading suddenly means nothing, so it pops into two pieces and I freak a little, for two reasons. It is impacting the job at hand, and I have to react while actively resisting grabbing it at the wrong place to avoid further danger (and hot potato). I'm sick of it.
Solder Station.jpg
So for guitars and other reasonably discreet soldering jobs, what's your favorite soldering station and why? I'm shopping. Thanks!
mickey
Reactions:

Pardon me but in my view, THAT IS NOT a soldering station. It is a soldering iron.

I have three soldering stations of different sizes for different jobs. You wouldn't want to solder IC's to a printed circuit board with the same setup you use to solder a ground to the back of a pot. At least if you want to succeed at both jobs. The oldest of my soldering stations I got in 1984 and the newest some time in the 1990's. They are all made by Weller and parts are still available, not that I have ever needed any except for new tips. Why Weller? Because that is the only brand my employer used. Thus I used similar at work & trusted them.
Gandalf the Intonationer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:33 am Pardon me but in my view, THAT IS NOT a soldering station. It is a soldering iron.
Sorry Mickey, you are pardoned. ;) The first pic was just denoting the problem. For clarification, here's the rest of it too.
Soldering Station 2.jpg
I only need one station, because different tips for different jobs. But I like to control the temperature well. Other than that, I'm open to what's important about other stations.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

If I go Weller, I'm thinking this WE1010NA for $105 would do nicely. More thoughts welcome.https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WE1010NA- ... =hi&sr=1-3
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

If I don't go Weller, I'm thinking this one with the rework heat gun would be great for all those desoldering tasks.
https://www.amazon.com/YIHUA-Soldering- ... 2&sr=8-101
peskypesky
Reactions:

Banned by Momo
mozz
Reactions:

Weller, Hakko, Pace. I have tried other "off" brands, tips are junk, temp vary too much, problems with base switch(had to hotwire it). Not worth the few dollars you save. Weller aren't quite the dependable station they used to be, i guess it's a QC thing but my pair bought in the last few years are working fine. I also use them most everyday also.
AGF refugee
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I just decided on the Weller, even though I prefer a dial to buttons. Overall it looks solid, and the pelham blue probably adds mojo tone.
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

I also have a Yihua but it's not as fancy as that one. I've changed the tip once or twice and the heating element once I think but it's still going strong after 7ish years.

As long as it gets hot enough and has a good tip, you'll be fine.

I used a cheap $20 home depot Weller before my current one.
jtcnj
Reactions:

@BatUtilityBelt I see you already decided, but I'll add this content to the thread.

I have been using this one through several amp builds, a few pedals, and a good bit of guitar work, since 2016 I think.
I also got a set of extra tips, the typical small pointy ones, and mainly the big blunt one for soldering to the back of pots.

Its a bit inconvenient waiting for it to cool to change tips, but worth it.
Been fine so far, and done everything I have needed.

www.amazon.com/Aoyue-Variable-Soldering ... r=1-2&th=1
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

jtcnj wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:10 pm @BatUtilityBelt I see you already decided, but I'll add this content to the thread.

I have been using this one through several amp builds, a few pedals, and a good bit of guitar work, since 2016 I think.
I also got a set of extra tips, the typical small pointy ones, and mainly the big blunt one for soldering to the back of pots.

Its a bit inconvenient waiting for it to cool to change tips, but worth it.
Been fine so far, and done everything I have needed.

www.amazon.com/Aoyue-Variable-Soldering ... r=1-2&th=1
I have this one as well, and it works for me.

Of course, I am lousy at soldering, so take that with a grain of salt.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
MichaelR
Reactions:

I've been using a Stahl ssvt which is a cheap work station which does not have a digital display but it has worked quite well and I can buy new tips for it which can be important. I bought it because I'm cheap and as I say its worked quite well for about 8 years now.
honyock
Reactions:

MichaelR wrote:I've been using a Stahl ssvt which is a cheap work station which does not have a digital display but it has worked quite well and I can buy new tips for it which can be important. I bought it because I'm cheap and as I say its worked quite well for about 8 years now.
I've got the same. Bought it through Parts Express. I've got lots of hours on it, on just my 2nd tip in probably 6 years I've owned it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I appreciate all the input! My Weller arrived, and the online images are misleading. It is not pelham blue, it's definitely seafoam green. My own cell phone makes it look pelham blue too, so I don't think it's a conspiracy. But all the tone I was hoping that pelham blue would impart into guitars is gone now. :shock:

On a more sober note, I see I will have to buy all new tips because my existing tips are not compatible. :roll:
mozz
Reactions:

Weller brand tips are what you want. Do not buy any labeled " compatable". I really don't swap tips that much. The pointed one, for me, does everything from ic's to the back of pots, just up the temp and when you done with pots, turn it back down. I think I run about 750 but I'm mostly working on tube stuff right now. Get rid of that brass sponge. Put a dab of solder on when it's idling, wipe before you use it, ( if needed) , dab before you idle
again. Any abrasive will shorten the tips life. Use real lead solder 63/ 37.
AGF refugee
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:42 pm Weller brand tips are what you want. Do not buy any labeled " compatable". I really don't swap tips that much. The pointed one, for me, does everything from ic's to the back of pots, just up the temp and when you done with pots, turn it back down. I think I run about 750 but I'm mostly working on tube stuff right now. Get rid of that brass sponge. Put a dab of solder on when it's idling, wipe before you use it, ( if needed) , dab before you idle
again. Any abrasive will shorten the tips life. Use real lead solder 63/ 37.
I agree Weller branded probably have a closer tolerance, which is important for heat transfer. I don't swap tips much either, but can't see myself living with just the one. I only solder things once or twice a week, and have never seen a tip go bad, and never had problems getting enough heat. I completely agree with keeping it tinned and clean, but I actually love the brass compared to a sponge.
mozz
Reactions:

My point was the tip plating. That is where the aftermarket tips cheap out. Little bit of solder protects that. My Weller also drops the temp to 360 if it idles too long, maybe 5 minutes, pretty sure it's adjustable time out. If you are continuing to use it, it won't go to sleep mode.
AGF refugee