A quote from Waylon Jennings

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
mickey
Reactions:

I ran into this today & could not possibly agree more!

"Garth Brooks did for country music what panty hose did for finger fuckin'" - Waylon Jennings
Gandalf the Intonationer
toomanycats
Reactions:

If Garth Brooks is panty hose then Chris Gaines is a vagina dentata!

OIP.XuytCZNkp6tqvygcHN6UHAHaE8.jpeg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
peskypesky
Reactions:

Lol.

And as a Texas boy, I couldn't agree more.
Banned by Momo
mickey
Reactions:

I also emailed it to several of my Nashville friends & thus far the response can best be summed up as:

ROTFLMAO!
Gandalf the Intonationer
pdcorlis
Reactions:

The man had a way with words…
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

From a wide lens, Jennings and "Outlaw Country" coming onto the scene was just as seismic of a shift to the establishment as Garth Brooks bringing pop music into the genre. And as different as they are from each other, they were both even more different from the status quo at time.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
Partscaster
Reactions:

Garth Brooks wears pantyhose?
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

toomanycats wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:51 pm If Garth Brooks is panty hose then Chris Gaines is a vagina dentata!

OIP.XuytCZNkp6tqvygcHN6UHAHaE8.jpeg

Testify my brother can we get an AMEN!!!
mickey
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:06 am From a wide lens, Jennings and "Outlaw Country" coming onto the scene was just as seismic of a shift to the establishment as Garth Brooks bringing pop music into the genre. And as different as they are from each other, they were both even more different from the status quo at time.
Agreed but I believe the difference was that most folks within the industry liked what Waylon, Willie & the boys did,
but only "the suits" liked what Garth did.
Gandalf the Intonationer
toomanycats
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:59 am
uwmcscott wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:06 am From a wide lens, Jennings and "Outlaw Country" coming onto the scene was just as seismic of a shift to the establishment as Garth Brooks bringing pop music into the genre. And as different as they are from each other, they were both even more different from the status quo at time.
Agreed but I believe the difference was that most folks within the industry liked what Waylon, Willie & the boys did,
Plus, by no means was Garth the first "country music artist" to cross over to pop. As a kid growing up in the late 70s and early 80s I heard Dolly, Eddie Rabbit, and Kenny Rodgers on the radio constantly. We didn't listen to a county music radio station, but a top 40 pop music station. Heck, by the late 70s Porter Wagoner was dressing for his show like he was auditioning as an extra for Saturday Night Fever, with a perm, bellbottoms, platform shoes, and massive lapels. By the late 70s The pop cultural influence on country was deep and the line between them getting blurry. Not only was the music of county influenced by pop culture, but the the culture of county music itself was profoundly impacted.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
mickey
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:13 am
mickey wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:59 am
Plus, by no means was Garth the first "country music artist" to cross over to pop. As a kid growing up in the late 70s and early 80s I heard Dolly, Eddie Rabbit, and Kenny Rodgers on the radio constantly. We didn't listen to a county music radio station, but a top 40 pop music station. Heck, by the late 70s Porter Wagoner was dressing for his show like he was auditioning as an extra for Saturday Night Fever, with a perm, bellbottoms, platform shoes, and massive lapels. By the late 70s The pop cultural influence on country was deep. Not only was the music of county by pop culture, but the the culture of county music itself was profoundly influenced.
True, but he was by far the biggest. He was the first to specialize in the "arena" concerts and played no small venues (like National Guard Armory's, High School Gyms) that were traditional to country music. This caused the "suits" to seek out the generic "men in cowboy hats" who were willing to play Garth style music which has resulted in the crap called country music today.
Gandalf the Intonationer
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I wore out both the 8-track and the cassette of Wanted! The Outlaws. Interestingly enough it was a huge crossover success hitting No.1 on the country charts and No. 10 on the pop charts. I was a rock fan but I had that record in my collection along with some David Allan Coe and Charlie Daniels. I have never owned a record by Garth or covered any of his songs that I remember.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
ronnx
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile, Squier, Ibanez, Italia, Fender., Peavey, Epiphone and Partscasters.

Oh. That was not a compliment? :mrgreen: