NGD - Artisan D45 Koa

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
slowhand84
Reactions:

Picked this one up because it was only $350 and the looks just blew me away...plus it came from Guitar Center so it was risk-free. Hardly any real reviews out there so figured I'd share my thoughts. Obviously an import, and it seems several brands have guitars like this likely all made in the same factory.

Solid flame koa top, flame koa laminate back and sides, ebony fretboard, a B Band preamp, and obviously some pretty wild inlay work all over. Nice volute too, no headstocks breakin' here!

Judging purely on tone and playability, I would say it compares to what I'm used to from other brands in the $800ish range. I have a nearly $3K Takamine EF450C and this Artisan admittedly does not compare with that...but of course the Tak is nearly 10X the price.

On to the looks...really just stunning. Gorgeous woods, the bracing inside looks super clean, and the inlay is incredible. Its so beautiful that even if it was unplayable I would probably be happy to just hang it on the wall as a decorative piece. Glad it didn't come to that though!

Anyway, on to the pics...will try to get some less crappy photos tomorrow. Click on em for full res, for some reason they show up a bit blurry until you do.
Attachments
IMG_1348.jpg
IMG_1349.jpg
IMG_1356.jpg
IMG_1359.jpg
IMG_1395.jpg
IMG_1398.jpg
mickey
Reactions:

Congrats! Sorta reminds me of the old Agile EP-1. Except for being koa.
Gandalf the Intonationer
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

My British friends from London would refer to that as a 'litt-el bling bling there mate"
slowhand84
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:15 am Congrats! Sorta reminds me of the old Agile EP-1. Except for being koa.
Just looked it up, I can see what you mean! And thanks, really loving this one. With these looks at this price point I honestly expected a wall hanger but its pretty awesome...especially liking it for fingerpicking.
mickey
Reactions:

The Agile EP-1 was an extremely pretty wall hanger. I flipped mine as quickly as I could.
But I may be a bad judge because I kept doing A-B comparos between it & my D-28.
Gandalf the Intonationer
slowhand84
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:46 am The Agile EP-1 was an extremely pretty wall hanger. I flipped mine as quickly as I could.
But I may be a bad judge because I kept doing A-B comparos between it & my D-28.
Yeah, I had an Agile acoustic as well and it wasn't super impressive...certainly not as impressive as their electrics.

As I mentioned I feel this Artisan is on par with acoustics I've played at more than double the price I paid, so its pretty killer. My Tak is certainly a better sounding instrument (but again, $3,000), and I definitely wouldn't compare this Artisan to a Martin D45 since I imagine a D45 this ornate would probably be like $20,000 :lol:
slowhand84
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:32 am My British friends from London would refer to that as a 'litt-el bling bling there mate"
I would too! Somehow it’s “just enough” for me rather than way too much.
LancerTheGreat
Reactions:
Gearlist: -Guitars-
Gibson Dave Mustaine Flying V EXP
ESP LTD DV8R Dave Mustaine Signature Model
ESP LTD V401DX
Agile AL3100
Kit Explorer
Jackson JS32RR
TWANG Tele
Samick Strat
Firefly Semi-Hollow Tele
Globe Dove Copy

-Amps-
Orange OR-15 (Head)
EVH 112 (Cabinet)
Bugera 1960 Infinium (Head)
Bugera 412 (Cabinet)
Peavey VTX Classic 212 (Combo)
Laney Mini-ST Lionheart Practice Amp

Dude! Congrats! I flippin' LOVE Koa, and that is a very nice representation as to why.
~Formerly LookingDownTheCross~
slowhand84
Reactions:

LancerTheGreat wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:16 am Dude! Congrats! I flippin' LOVE Koa, and that is a very nice representation as to why.
Thanks! I love it too, this is my 3rd koa guitar (the all flame koa Warmoth in my avatar and my Carvin CL450 being the other two). Seems to be getting tougher to find really nice koa these days, at least at reasonable prices. If I recall correctly they can’t legally cut the trees down…it has to be harvested from trees that have fallen naturally.
JeffBeck
Reactions:

Some people are a bit put off by elaborate inlays - but not me! That’s truly beautiful. That top really holds its own against the inlays. Beautiful all the way around. You’ve got a stunner there. HNGD!
slowhand84
Reactions:

JeffBeck wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:28 am Some people are a bit put off by elaborate inlays - but not me! That’s truly beautiful. That top really holds its own against the inlays. Beautiful all the way around. You’ve got a stunner there. HNGD!
Thanks! The best part is it’s actually a really nice instrument too. Usually in my experience the import super fancy looking stuff is more wall hanger material but not the case here :).