Popeye’s Fried Chicken

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
JeffBeck
Reactions:

[mention]mickey[/mention] I'm glad to know they're still around. Maybe I'll come across one again one of these days.
Houblues
Reactions:

JeffBeck wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:00 pm I rarely ever have fried foods anymore, but I remember getting some damn good fried chicken at Po' Folks. Anyone remember them?

I think the last time I ate at a Po' Folks was around 2007 or so. I think they've gone out of business, but I'm not certain.
They were around South Texas for a couple of years. I thought they would have staying power, but unfortunately not. Your time frame seems about right.
fullonshred
Reactions:

aullucci wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:11 am In my experience, the best fried chicken can be found in dirty roadside hole in the wall type places. All over the country, really. But always in places you wouldn't necessarily expect it.
A lot of times I thinks this is true for a lot of foods. BBQ has been mentioned and seafood as well. My favorite Japanese Food is a very small place. The main secret there is that the owner loves food, and wants to sell very good food to others. Small place, easy to control what comes in and what goes out.

WRT Fried Chicken, there is a Hole In The Wall place I know. It was a small World Gas Station/Mini Mart type place many, many years ago. The pumps are long gone, and the place is pretty much a dump. They sell things akin to what a 1970's neighborhood convenience store might have stocked along with a few more modern things like vape stuff and CBD Oil.

They make very good pizza, by the slice or by the pie, and have some of the best fried chicken for miles. Very good prices too. The only sides are Fried Tater Wedges and Red or White Slaw. Biscuits come with.

I see a two piece breast dinner in my near future as this thread has me hungry for chicken.
aullucci
Reactions:

fullonshred wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:38 pm
aullucci wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:11 am In my experience, the best fried chicken can be found in dirty roadside hole in the wall type places. All over the country, really. But always in places you wouldn't necessarily expect it.
The main secret there is that the owner loves food, and wants to sell very good food to others. Small place, easy to control what comes in and what goes out.

I think this is the secret for all of them.
MattFireblade
Reactions:

I like Popeye's chicken, but I can't stand their sides or biscuits, same with all of the fried chicken chain places though, honestly. There's a restaurant about an hour from me called The Eagle though, and their fried chicken and horseradish mashed potatoes are what dreams are made of.
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:
Gearlist: Let's talk about my Eko's...

mickey wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:13 am I gave up fried food back in 1988 after I learned that smelling fried food put weight on me!
Metabolism changes suck.
In the Midnight Hour she Cried MoMoMo
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:

MattFireblade wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:49 pm I like Popeye's chicken, but I can't stand their sides or biscuits, same with all of the fried chicken chain places though, honestly. There's a restaurant about an hour from me called The Eagle though, and their fried chicken and horseradish mashed potatoes are what dreams are made of.
I'm hungry now :|
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:

LancerTheGreat wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:42 am The absolute best "fast food" fried chicken I've ever had came from a local place in Lexington, KY. It's called Grimes's Fast Food Restaurant, and if you're ever in the area I would heavily suggest stopping by there, I personally would recommend the spicy chicken, but not if your *ahem* "sensitive" to spicy food.

That said I try to eat more green stuff and fruit than anything else.
Green stuff has always been more challenging for me than anything else, as I've always looked at is as non-scrumptious filler that needs to be seasoned with something to make it palatable, and I don't eat like a rabbit, but I've gotten better. Fruit is great, no issues there. Nothing beats a ripe pear, or citrus and blueberries/strawberries are awesome.
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:10 am
mickey wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:13 am I gave up fried food back in 1988 after I learned that smelling fried food put weight on me!
You'd gain a ton just walking around the streets of Bangkok. Thais love their fried stuff...and then they stuff themselves with white rice to tip it off....usually not many vegetables in the typical diet.
As you’re in a very interesting culinary region, please talk to me about your experiences with Durian Fruit 😀

I’ve had it a few times, it’s complex to say the least...

Most Westerners can’t even stomach the smell

The video below is HILARIOUS

mickey
Reactions:

Bubba Zanetti wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:56 pm
As you’re in a very interesting culinary region, please talk to me about your experiences with Durian Fruit 😀

Count me in with most westerners!
Sort of a cross between a decaying carcass and buzzard shit mixed together. :?
Gandalf the Intonationer
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:01 pm

Sort of a cross between a decaying carcus and buzzard shit mixed together. :?
It's an unpleasant odor for sure, the first time I smelled it I was reminded of hot urine on a cold sweaty armpit with someone aggressively farting in close proximity.
mickey
Reactions:

Bubba Zanetti wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:07 pm

It's an unpleasant odor for sure, the first time I smelled it I was reminded of hot urine on a cold sweaty armpit with someone aggressively farting in close proximity.
It is difficult to describe in the English language.
Gandalf the Intonationer
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:10 pm
Bubba Zanetti wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:07 pm

It is difficult to describe in the English language.
EXACTLY.
fatjack
Reactions:

I'd take Popeyes over Bojangles any day. But agree with the dive restaurant for fried chicken and BBQ. Here in charleston with al its high end foodie joints best fried chicken, fried okra and okra and maters come from Martha Lou's or Bertha's. Both are working class places on the edge of all black neighborhoods. Locals from all parts of town eat there when they can they still use Grandmas recipes and cook her way because that's how she did it.
Kirobhan
Reactions:

My co-worker brought a durian in once, cut it up, and proceeded to walk the halls with the fruit to offer for people to try. To me it was a pungent smell but not really offensive. I guess I was one of the lucky ones though as many others were seriously pissed.
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:

Kirobhan wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:41 pm My co-worker brought a durian in once, cut it up, and proceeded to walk the halls with the fruit to offer for people to try. To me it was a pungent smell but not really offensive. I guess I was one of the lucky ones though as many others were seriously pissed.
Perhaps that particular durian was in the least offensive odor stage of its ripening cycle? It can be so pungent that it peels paint of walls. Apparently it’s against the law to open and prepare one in public in Singapore in open spaces, so as to not bother tourists! 😂
mickey
Reactions:

Bubba Zanetti wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:56 pm
Kirobhan wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:41 pm My co-worker brought a durian in once, cut it up, and proceeded to walk the halls with the fruit to offer for people to try. To me it was a pungent smell but not really offensive. I guess I was one of the lucky ones though as many others were seriously pissed.
Perhaps that particular durian was in the least offensive odor stage of its ripening cycle? It can be so pungent that it peels paint of walls. Apparently it’s against the law to open and prepare one in public in Singapore in open spaces, so as to not bother tourists! 😂
My first thought was that perhaps [mention]Kirobhan[/mention] had a cold or hayfever or something similar? :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
JeffBeck
Reactions:

I’m down with the small, locally owned places being the best. I find that the more distressed and ripped up the vinyl is on the seating, the better the food is.

We’ve got a local dive (absolute shit hole) called Doodles that serves one of the best burgers I’ve ever had the pleasure to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
honyock
Reactions:

Their spicy chicken sandwich is outstanding
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
fullonshred
Reactions:

I just got done with Breast #1 and half the Tater Wedges. Mighty good chicken. Passed on the slaw this time as it is now "extra". Thanks to [mention]Bubba Zanetti[/mention] for starting this thread and getting me pointed in that direction.
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:

fullonshred wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:47 pm I just got done with Breast #1 and half the Tater Wedges. Mighty good chicken. Passed on the slaw this time as it is now "extra". Thanks to @Bubba Zanetti for starting this thread and getting me pointed in that direction.
Just doing my part! Are you going to get some durian fruit? 😂
fullonshred
Reactions:

Bubba Zanetti wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:52 pm
fullonshred wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:47 pm I just got done with Breast #1 and half the Tater Wedges. Mighty good chicken. Passed on the slaw this time as it is now "extra". Thanks to @Bubba Zanetti for starting this thread and getting me pointed in that direction.
Just doing my part! Are you going to get some durian fruit? 😂
Not if I can help it!
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:10 am
You'd gain a ton just walking around the streets of Bangkok. Thais love their fried stuff...and then they stuff themselves with white rice to tip it off....usually not many vegetables in the typical diet.

The video below is HILARIOUS

Durian is something much loved by Thais...even little kids go nuts for it. I can take it or leave it but it is a treat when fresh and chilled. Custardy and sweet...the smell of a chilled durian is not nearly as bad as one might imagine. In season, there are trucks driven straight from the farm selling on most street corners and always available in supermarkets too. Most Thais eat way too much as it has a very high saturated fat and calorie content. I limit to a treat when GF brings some home...but my real favorite is MangoSteen....I can eat a Kilo (2.2 lbs) without missing a beat.

tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Publix tenders, after that there is no other fried chicken.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
stevebway
Reactions:

The Chicken Sandwich is exceptional however deadly.
The Ham what AM...