Hard to turn bridge studs hard to turn on Agile

tony1852
Reactions:

For some reason, the studs on my Agile AD-3200mcc seem really, really hard to turn. I've pretty much got it set where I want it for now, but I've mangled the studs in the process. Any had this issue, or am I doing something really, really wrong?
Attachments
POSTS.jpg
AL3100
Reactions:

Strings have been loosened prior to adjusting?
Can't remember my username for the previous site but I had many posts :/ Currently back into playing and collecting Agile AL's again.
tobijohn
Reactions:

Loosening the strings would certainly help but regardless, the good news is that the studs are interchangeable with other metric bridges and cheap enough...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I agree with making sure the strings are loose before adjusting the height (in either direction). I would add that using a screw driver that covers the whole slot helps.
Having said that, I've actually seen an Agile come straight from Rondo with the studs gouged like that. It made me wonder if they used an alloy of pot metal and peanut butter to make them.
Partscaster
Reactions:

you might get binding if the slant between two post heights gets too great. IE, adjustments may need to be more gradual with both posts up or down.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
toomanycats
Reactions:

As already mentioned, the suggestion to use a tight fitting flat blade screwdriver is sound advice.

It's also helpful to let some WD40 penetrate the stud threads. It will drastically decrease friction.

Loosening the strings also helps, though I could see why this may not be desired if the reason for turning the studs is to make incremental adjustments of the action on the fly, without interfering with other variable like string tension and neck relief.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
tony1852
Reactions:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try them. The bridge seems to be pretty solid, and right now getting matching chrome studs is not easy. Is there a drop in bridge upgrade that comes with studs that fits in the same anchors anyone might suggest?

Or, will these work for a quick replacement:

https://reverb.com/item/5583803-replace ... e-set-of-2

Thanks again guys!
toomanycats
Reactions:

One other thing to consider, which I've personally encountered, is that if the holes for the studs are even a few millimeters off from the dimensions of the bridge, then the bridge can be very tight fitting over the studs. It can be determined if this is the underlying problem by unstringing the guitar and checking how freely the bridge fits over the studs. If the bridge gets increasingly tighter as it is lowered onto the post, that's your problem. You'd think that in the age of CNC manufacture this type of thing doesn't happen, but it can.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

I believe all the above is possible but regardless of the cause I think you should replace them if you have trouble getting the studs out remove the screws drop a screw headfirst in the bridge hole then put the adjustment screw back in and when you start screwing it in the post will back out fairly easily without buggering up the body.