Whats your' latest gear acquisition?

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
mkgearhead
Reactions:

TVvoodoo wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:59 pm Picked up early Dec but finally got around to a half decent pic with creme spinners

Hamer SATF 2002 ish, MIK
Just listen to the sustain!

Found at a music store, traded some straps for resale. Told me he didn't care for DCs, now everybody's happy.
Nice! I have 2 of those Hamers and they’re great guitars.
C7CB7E2A-308B-4983-9192-0F17F527E9CB.jpeg
mkgearhead
Reactions:

I picked up this $30 beast over the weekend. I reshaped the headstock and swapped out the plastics. The pickups sound good so I left them in.
A16DE29C-1324-428A-8ADD-B8170DB514E6.jpeg
ACCEA363-8203-4EE7-9CA9-D7E19F2F27C0.jpeg
6900E8E3-D064-4F41-8852-5F8C7547428E.jpeg
glasshand
Reactions:

I haunted Reverb until one came up, then haunted a while longer until the price came down, then jumped in before the other watchers. The Gig-FX Mega-Wah! It is, of course, 1000x more wah than the Kilo-Wah. :mrgreen:

It's sonically very similar to the Kilo-Wah, but I wanted the tweakable gain and Q controls. I have not yet tried out the feared "INSANE" mode of which ancient scrolls hint... (that is, as described in the user's manual)
gigfx-wahs.jpg
Perfect Stranger
Reactions:

I did change 3 or 4 sets of strings last week. Does that count? I think I bought a cheap new pedal last month. I know I sold about ten.....so maybe. :?:
~Jim~

Even great harmonica players suck half the time! :roll:
golem
Reactions:

Picked up the all Mahogany version of this. This video + general hype about these from TGP and @andrewsrea's interest in this guitar made want to trade an Gibson R8 Les Paul for this. Technically the R8 is worth a bit more but I find selling CS Gibsons is almost always a pain as they want me to measure frets, flip pickups, get calipers out, measure DCR, put a black light to the neck, etc.

One day I might get around to taking pics of my guitar but I'm super busy with my new job.

So far my feeling is it gives you a nice blend of LP and Tele tones. The coil splits are very impressive. I think I like the 594 neck better, but overall I prefer this guitar over the 594s I had. Honestly, if you love Strats but want a fantastic HH S style with classic tones and great coil splits... this is your jam. Frets might not be for everybody as their tall and a bit big, but honestly I don't even notice them.
golem
Reactions:

Picked up an Ibanez AS153 used but in mint condition for about $665 today at Mid Rivers Music. Speaking of whic @andrewsrea Mid Rivers is Liquidating everything. I already mentioned it to Jim who lives close to it.

While I'm very impressed with the quality. It looks like the used market for this is about $100 higher. I've got enough guitars where I wonder if I'll keep this one, but I promise you the quality of it makes it comparable to Eastmans, Gibsons, and the Yamaha SA2000s at a fraction of their prices.

Note: Ended up selling this today. Absolutely nothing wrong with it but I have an Agile AS-1000, an '85 Ibanez AM205, and a PRS Hollowbody I Artist... so my semi-hollow / hollow love it satiated with those. I have the AM205 listed, but it's not selling quickly (because it's modded and has fretwear). Honestly, that thing sounds too good to let go cheap.
Lacking Talent
Reactions:

20220107_184733.jpg
tobijohn
Reactions:

Lacking Talent wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:58 pm 20220107_184733.jpg
Very cool, how about a little more info?
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
golem
Reactions:

Lacking Talent wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:58 pm 20220107_184733.jpg
@tobijohn

I know what his because my name is on it! It's a Chandler guitar. The shop doesn't make guitars any more but they make pickguards still. Most Chandlers are MIJ parts guitars which is why I don't own one. These, supposedly, weren't. They licensed the shape from Ric.

This looks like the one from the auction recently. Should have three Duncan minihums in it. I was thinking about picking it up myself.
peskypesky
Reactions:

My only gear purchases in the past year were a Joyo analog delay pedal, and a capo for my resonator.
Banned by Momo
slowhand84
Reactions:

Been kinda passively on the hunt for a cool tele to add to the stable...came across this rare bird for just over $200 and jumped on it. These were made in the Fujigen factory in the early to mid 1970s and imported by an ex-Fender employee. Not a ton of information on 'em, but given that this is GC it's a risk-free purchase so we'll see if it's a score. Nearly 50 year old Tele for this price with some mojo, could be a hit!

golem
Reactions:

@slowhand84 what's the brand? Got any links to info?
slowhand84
Reactions:

golem wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:53 pm @slowhand84 what's the brand? Got any links to info?
The brand is "Aims", there isn't a ton of info online beyond what I posted in my initial post though. Apparently the person who imported them back in the 70s was Don Randall, he worked with Leo Fender back in the day and was the President of Fender at one time, and later started Randall Amps. Supposedly the impetus for him importing and distributing these from Fujigen was because he was dissatisfied with the quality of what Fender was putting out at the time.

Only found a handful of folks online who have ever laid hands on one, but the consensus seems to be that they're very nice instruments. If I had to guess I would predict I might wanna swap the tuners but everything else will be great. We'll find out!
golem
Reactions:

Picked up and ESP LTD Phoenix 1000:

I'm usually positive about guitars I pick up. Not so much in this case. There's nothing visibly wrong with the guitar or setup, but something just seems off about it plugged compared to other guitars I have in the way it responds to picking (acoustically kind of dead). I'll bring it to @andrewsrea for a setup and change the strings before I pass to serious judgement. One thing I'm confused about is the fact that it's supposed to have SS frets. There's some oxidization on the strings that I've never seen show up on SS frets before. If I don't love the guitar I could easily sell it for what I paid, but I'll see if Rob can breathe some life into this. As it stands, this is the least happy I've been with a NGD in a very long time.
Lacking Talent
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:00 pm Very cool, how about a little more info?
Lacking Talent wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:58 pm Image
Thanks, it's an NM condition, 1995 Chandler 555 Classic, built in Chandler's Burlingame, CA, facility. Alder body, maple set neck, pau ferro fretboard, Duncan/Chandler custom Firebird mini-humbucker pickup set, push-pull tone knob to activate all 3 pickups, Gotoh tuners and string-through bridge, Seafoam Green finish, "Authorized by Rickenbacker International Corporation" on the back of the headstock.
Lacking Talent
Reactions:

golem wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:56 am
Lacking Talent wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:58 pm Image
@tobijohn

I know what his because my name is on it! It's a Chandler guitar. The shop doesn't make guitars any more but they make pickguards still. Most Chandlers are MIJ parts guitars which is why I don't own one. These, supposedly, weren't. They licensed the shape from Ric.

This looks like the one from the auction recently. Should have three Duncan minihums in it. I was thinking about picking it up myself.
Mine isn't the auction item we both saw; that example, while the same color, had a flat "paddle" -- i.e., non-slotted -- headstock. Also, while Chandler may have begun by offering replacement parts and then building Fender-style "partscasters" and LP copies of quality (still prized by many players), it soon evolved to original electric guitar designs (I've posted pics of a few models below) -- including baritones, basses, and lap steels -- most of which also sported pickups wound in-house, and some of which were taken up by pros like Keith Richards, Joe Perry, Tom Petersson, and (later) Joe Bonamassa. Fair to say that shop was a pioneer of the "boutique" builder movement.

chandler-futurama-9073.jpg
chandler-futurama-9073.jpg (43.29 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
chandler-lap-steel-20022.jpg
chandler-lap-steel-20022.jpg (31.16 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
chandler-lectraslide-20025.jpg
chandler-lectraslide-20025.jpg (11.37 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
chandler-555-11348.jpg
chandler-555-11348.jpg (38.54 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
jtcnj
Reactions:

golem wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:53 pm Picked up and ESP LTD Phoenix 1000:

I'm usually positive about guitars I pick up. Not so much in this case. There's nothing visibly wrong with the guitar or setup, but something just seems off about it plugged compared to other guitars I have in the way it responds to picking (acoustically kind of dead). I'll bring it to @andrewsrea for a setup and change the strings before I pass to serious judgement. One thing I'm confused about is the fact that it's supposed to have SS frets. There's some oxidization on the strings that I've never seen show up on SS frets before. If I don't love the guitar I could easily sell it for what I paid, but I'll see if Rob can breathe some life into this. As it stands, this is the least happy I've been with a NGD in a very long time.

Hope you get it sorted.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
golem
Reactions:

jtcnj wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:29 am
golem wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:53 pm Picked up and ESP LTD Phoenix 1000:

Hope you get it sorted.
Well it turns out that the strings on there with flatwound. I might like flatwound on a guitar that's a bit bright, but on the guitar I was not digging it. Rob definitely improved the action. Still, I think I'm going to sell it.
jtcnj
Reactions:

Thanks @mozz

Really liking this. Still exploring the knob settings.
Mainly to use as preamp boost / light OD, level up - 2:00 to full on and the gain at or below 9:00.
It also plays nice with the gain up for low low volume practice.
20220207_180909-2.jpg
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
Sinster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Many Les Pauls, Couple of Tele's and Strats, a PRS, a EVH Woflgang, a Bass, and Epi Acoustic. Egnater Rebel 20, Tubemeister 18.

MIL moved in and she likes her "k-cups" and I like fresh ground. So I scored this.

I also scored one of these in red and waiting for it's arrival.

PsychoCid
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:31 pm Been kinda passively on the hunt for a cool tele to add to the stable...came across this rare bird for just over $200 and jumped on it. These were made in the Fujigen factory in the early to mid 1970s and imported by an ex-Fender employee. Not a ton of information on 'em, but given that this is GC it's a risk-free purchase so we'll see if it's a score. Nearly 50 year old Tele for this price with some mojo, could be a hit!

Woooow score.
Partscaster
Reactions:

peskypesky wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:00 pm My only gear purchases in the past year were a Joyo analog delay pedal, and a capo for my resonator.
what kind of resonator?
A lot of folks are too delayed already because of their resonator.
Seriously, though, I recently bought a RecordingKing resonator.
What kind is yours?
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
golem
Reactions:

Picked up a Mesa cab for $150. It looks like this

Still debating about getting Rob's EVM 12L he has for sale to put in it. Stock it comes with an MC90.
Partscaster
Reactions:

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 7.15.36 AM.jpeg
SGhOabItRX5nZ-FEoUcPIyg1XQI8SmYbFQ.png
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
golem
Reactions:

@Partscaster Is that a tabla set?