New stuff SX advanced orders, 3010se b stock

tobijohn
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:37 pm I've wanted to find this out too... specifically whether I would be able to swap my Harm's toaster pickups for P90s without having to dress them with some sort of rings. A lot of projects have jumped in front of that one, but it stays on my mind. By eyeball, it appears close enough to be possible without any routing, but all I did to check that was hover P90s over the toasters.

PM me the dimensions of the toaster and a closeup pic of one as it's installed in the guitar and I can compare it to a P90 Harm rout...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
tobijohn
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:50 pm
Never knew you had 330 Harms!?!?!?!? :D
Wise guy, eh?
Attachments
P1020876.JPG
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:52 pm PM me the dimensions of the toaster and a closeup pic of one as it's installed in the guitar and I can compare it to a P90 Harm rout...
Ok, I just calipered my toaster routes at 3.5625" wide x 1.504" tall. I measure a P90 at 3.35" wide x 1.35" tall. So P90s would fit inside the route, but would need some sort of ring to look appropriate.
Toaster Height.jpg
tobijohn
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:13 pm
Ok, I just calipered my toaster routes at 3.5625" wide x 1.504" tall. I measure a P90 at 3.35" wide x 1.35" tall. So P90s would fit inside the route, but would need some sort of ring to look appropriate.
Toaster Height.jpg
It doesn't mean that there isn't something out there but while I've seen them for minis, I can't recall ever seeing a trim ring for a P90. Even if there were, it would be tough with the pickguard edge right up on the rout. Perhaps just paint the insides of the rout with black satin or semi-gloss...
BrianSkeezer
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:36 pm
Toaster Height.jpg
It doesn't mean that there isn't something out there but while I've seen them for minis, I can't recall ever seeing a trim ring for a P90. Even if there were, it would be tough with the pickguard edge right up on the rout. Perhaps just paint the insides of the rout with black satin or semi-gloss...
Someone made (perhaps still makes) the rings for a P90. My Dillion Mosrite copy has 'em. I don't know where to get them though.
Dillion Mosrite.jpg
tobijohn
Reactions:

BrianSkeezer wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:14 pm
Someone made (perhaps still makes) the rings for a P90. My Dillion Mosrite copy has 'em. I don't know where to get them though.
Dillion Mosrite.jpg
Well there you go! I did a quick search of both eBay and Reverb but all I came up with was an original Mosrite pickup that came with the mounting ring. But you're right, someone somewhere is making them...

Maybe contact Dillion?
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:55 pm
BrianSkeezer wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:14 pm
Dillion Mosrite.jpg
Well there you go! I did a quick search of both eBay and Reverb but all I came up with was an original Mosrite pickup that came with the mounting ring. But you're right, someone somewhere is making them...

Maybe contact Dillion?
Since tolerances would mean everything (assuming it fits into the route, not on top), I think I'd likely just 3D print them.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

tobijohn wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:52 pm PM me the dimensions of the toaster and a closeup pic of one as it's installed in the guitar and I can compare it to a P90 Harm rout...
Toaster Height.jpg
Thanks - they do look a bit bigger in photos and that definitely confirms it. I know you can fit P90's in mini-hum routes but not vice-versa, but the toasters are significantly bigger.

Gibson used to put trim rings on the mini-hums of some of the deluxes back in the norlin days - but they were pretty horrendous looking.

What I was actually wondering is if you could somehow squeeze a regular humbucker in a toaster route.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:37 pm What I was actually wondering is if you could somehow squeeze a regular humbucker in a toaster route.
Huh. It looks like one would just barely squeeze in height-wise, but would leave a gap width-wise. Might work with rings that sit on the top, but my Harm's neck would not allow space for any ring outside the rout. Or you could leave it ringless and look a bit franken...
Partscaster
Reactions:

FWIW, I see widerange humbucker rings to adapt p90's to wrh route..at reverb.

https://reverb.com/item/21403241-wide-r ... 1ply-cream

there is black, too.

"This is an adapter for you to install a P90 Soapbar pickup in a Wide Range Humbucker pickup hole. ( It is more like a cover ring other than an adapter, it mostly used to cover up the left space for the p90, no need to mounted it with the pickup)"
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:18 am FWIW, I see widerange humbucker rings to adapt p90's to wrh route..at reverb.
That would work. I just don't like it because it is not reversible - it means drilling mounting holes outside the route on the top, so swapping back to the toasters is not be an option.
Partscaster
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:34 pm
Partscaster wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:18 am FWIW, I see widerange humbucker rings to adapt p90's to wrh route..at reverb.
That would work. I just don't like it because it is not reversible - it means drilling mounting holes outside the route on the top, so swapping back to the toasters is not be an option.
How about a few drops of glue, gluing them to p90 covers once pup height is set ? You could even glue in shorty screws to look like corner screw holes are engaged. Or not.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:54 pm
BatUtilityBelt wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:34 pm
How about a few drops of glue, gluing them to p90 covers once pup height is set ? You could even glue in shorty screws to look like corner screw holes are engaged. Or not.
Or clip off the mounting screws so they're only there for appearance? Yes, that'd work for the potential to reverse it.