Vinyl Junkies - Enter Here!

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
slowhand84
Reactions:

Stealing this idea from a thread I saw on TGP...I know we have a couple of fellow vinyl junkies present here, so if you're getting some wax delivered we can let this be the place to share it.

I'll kick it off with this absolutely incredible triple LP Van Halen set that just landed today (unofficial since it was never actually released on vinyl, but sounds fantastic!).

Fun fact: Eddie was apparently out of tune sporadically throughout the gig (and Alex was a little ahead or behind on the drums a bit too) so they ended up re-recording much of this in the studio, which meant Sammy had to re-record all of his vocals too...which he proceeded to do in a single continuous take just like when it was live. So while it is not quite a "live" record in the traditional sense, it contains some of EVH's best playing. Just terrific, terrific stuff.

zisme
Reactions:

it's been a while since i've grabbed any new vinyl. my little bookshelf where i keep them is full!

i am in the process of digitizing my cd and vinyl collection. i try to do one a day of each

here are two of my more recent grabs

Sunn O))) - Life Metal
20210506_074349.jpg
Akira Yamaoka - Silent 2 Soundtrack
20210506_074637.jpg
my discogs profile:
https://www.discogs.com/user/zisme
frogs love to eat flies,
the devil's name, Beelzebub, lord of the flies
evil spirits love to spiritually feed upon those whom Beelzebub rules

joined AGF March 20, 2013
Flatline
Reactions:

I have none. Considered getting into it, but never have.
mickey
Reactions:

Amusing. I grew up in the 1950's & 60's with vinyl & tape.
Tape was by far the better choice because it did not have as many or as bad noise problems, specially after Dolby came along.
When CD's came along I & my peers dumped vinyl as fast as we could because it sounded so bad compared to CD.
Now, it appears there is a cult of vinyl running wild in the land. I admit that recording engineers have done everything they can
to make digital sound as bad as vinyl but they have a ways to go yet to get there. :lol:
Gandalf the Intonationer
slowhand84
Reactions:

zisme wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:54 am it's been a while since i've grabbed any new vinyl. my little bookshelf where i keep them is full!

i am in the process of digitizing my cd and vinyl collection. i try to do one a day of each

here are two of my more recent grabs

Sunn O))) - Life Metal
20210506_074349.jpg

Akira Yamaoka - Silent 2 Soundtrack
20210506_074637.jpg

my discogs profile:
https://www.discogs.com/user/zisme
Nice! I know that struggle...I just had to order some new shelving as I’ve completely run out of space. About to hit the 1,000 mark soon.
slowhand84
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:20 am Amusing. I grew up in the 1950's & 60's with vinyl & tape.
Tape was by far the better choice because it did not have as many or as bad noise problems, specially after Dolby came along.
When CD's came along I & my peers dumped vinyl as fast as we could because it sounded so bad compared to CD.
Now, it appears there is a cult of vinyl running wild in the land. I admit that recording engineers have done everything they can
to make digital sound as bad as vinyl but they have a ways to go yet to get there. :lol:
Yeah I don't know what to tell you haha, I have close to 1,000 records and the majority of them are entirely noise free and sound amazing. You can't really compare vinyl production quality from 70 years ago with the vinyl production of today. CDs certainly sound good too and depending on your system can sound great, but the reason I love vinyl is not just the sound quality but the fact that it makes listening to music an experience. I love sitting on my comfy couch just pouring over records for hours at a time. I fully get that some of it is psychological and it's not necessarily that vinyl presents some absolutely unmatched audiophile experience, but I get so much enjoyment out of it.

Plus honestly it really is quite the investment as well...I have dozens of records that are worth hundreds and hundreds of dollars more than I paid for them.
glasshand
Reactions:

We actually have a few vinyl records and a newish player, mostly because vinyl is a kind of "artifact" in the way that streaming music, as great as it is, will just never be: my wife saw Cowboy Junkies' "The Trinity Session" vinyl and fell in love with it, so I got it for her for her birthday. And then we discovered the "Times Square" soundtrack at a used-record place, and you can't find that in any other format, so we had to get that. And then I found a copy of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" in the trash, so I picked that up...and wow, that is just a terrible record. :mrgreen: Hard to believe
It sold more than eight million copies within its first year of release, outselling every record in the history of recorded music to that time, and achieved worldwide sales of over 30 million copies. It was the biggest selling album for the year 1969 in the US, although Billboard does not give any exact sales figures. For a number of years it was the biggest selling item in Atlantic Records' catalogue.
I can only assume there was a lot of lead in the water back then.
slowhand84
Reactions:

glasshand wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:57 pm We actually have a few vinyl records and a newish player, mostly because vinyl is a kind of "artifact" in the way that streaming music, as great as it is, will just never be: my wife saw Cowboy Junkies' "The Trinity Session" vinyl and fell in love with it, so I got it for her for her birthday. And then we discovered the "Times Square" soundtrack at a used-record place, and you can't find that in any other format, so we had to get that. And then I found a copy of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" in the trash, so I picked that up...and wow, that is just a terrible record. :mrgreen: Hard to believe
It sold more than eight million copies within its first year of release, outselling every record in the history of recorded music to that time, and achieved worldwide sales of over 30 million copies. It was the biggest selling album for the year 1969 in the US, although Billboard does not give any exact sales figures. For a number of years it was the biggest selling item in Atlantic Records' catalogue.
I can only assume there was a lot of lead in the water back then.
I’m guessing that riff slaps really hard when you’re off on a psychedelics adventure, haha.

Just got this in today, as always an incredible release from Pink Floyd Recordings remixed from the original master tapes and cut at 45 RPM. Listening through it now, SO good!

mickey
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:41 am
mickey wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:20 am Amusing. I grew up in the 1950's & 60's with vinyl & tape.
Yeah I don't know what to tell you haha, I have close to 1,000 records and the majority of them are entirely noise free and sound amazing. You can't really compare vinyl production quality from 70 years ago with the vinyl production of today. CDs certainly sound good too and depending on your system can sound great, but the reason I love vinyl is not just the sound quality but the fact that it makes listening to music an experience. I love sitting on my comfy couch just pouring over records for hours at a time. I fully get that some of it is psychological and it's not necessarily that vinyl presents some absolutely unmatched audiophile experience, but I get so much enjoyment out of it.

Plus honestly it really is quite the investment as well...I have dozens of records that are worth hundreds and hundreds of dollars more than I paid for them.

I gave away over 1000 LP's dating back to the 1950's thru until the 1970's when I finally got rid of all my vinyl, around about 2015 & considered myself lucky to find someone to take them. :lol:
Gandalf the Intonationer
slowhand84
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:19 pm
slowhand84 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:41 am

I gave away over 1000 LP's dating back to the 1950's thru until the 1970's when I finally got rid of all my vinyl, around about 2015 & considered myself lucky to find someone to take them. :lol:
Yeah it is funny how things have turned around...there was definitely a time when you couldn't give vinyl away. The resurgence of vinyl is a very interesting thing and I've read a lot about why that happened and what it looks like for the future. I started getting into vinyl around 2013 thanks to a turntable and a couple records gifted to me by a girl I was seeing at the time who I'm still very good friends with, back then it was SO much easier to get great stuff cheap. I came across a guy at a stoop sale a few months after I started collecting and he had a literal treasure trove there for someone like me - near mint copies of records by Rush, Zeppelin, Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson, etc. I bought the entire box of 45 records from him for $60. It was quite a workout getting that box home but they're worth something like $1500 - $2000 today so I guess it was worth it :lol: .
mickey
Reactions:

They are worth $1500-2000 to you but NOT to the guy who wanted them out of his house! :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
slowhand84
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:35 pm They are worth $1500-2000 to you but NOT to the guy who wanted them out of his house! :D
Yeah he told me he didn’t have a turntable anymore so they were just collecting dust haha. But they’re not just worth that “to me”, that’s their current value on the used market in general (aka that’s what I’d net if I sold them today). Not that it matters much since I really have no intention of getting rid of any of my vinyl, but still a pretty solid investment. You wouldn’t believe what some records bring these days, a limited edition will sell out at $25 and people will be paying $500 for it on eBay the next day. It’s pretty wild!
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I just shuddered the climate controlled storeroom I had rented for 12 years and I had two milk crates of vinyl from the old days. Some good stuff in there. I guess I will throw them up on CL and see what happens. I actually bought a turntable about 10 years ago so I could play some of them because they are not available on tape or disc. Now I can just youlube everything I want.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
slowhand84
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:21 pm I just shuddered the climate controlled storeroom I had rented for 12 years and I had two milk crates of vinyl from the old days. Some good stuff in there. I guess I will throw them up on CL and see what happens. I actually bought a turntable about 10 years ago so I could play some of them because they are not available on tape or disc. Now I can just youlube everything I want.
Yeah technology has certainly come a long way, but with the way Youtube is going (I watched a live concert on there the other day that had an ad after LITERALLY every song, and sometimes even in the freaking middle of one) I can't say I'm mad about still owning all this physical media :D
LancerTheGreat
Reactions:
Gearlist: -Guitars-
Gibson Dave Mustaine Flying V EXP
ESP LTD DV8R Dave Mustaine Signature Model
ESP LTD V401DX
Agile AL3100
Kit Explorer
Jackson JS32RR
TWANG Tele
Samick Strat
Firefly Semi-Hollow Tele
Globe Dove Copy

-Amps-
Orange OR-15 (Head)
EVH 112 (Cabinet)
Bugera 1960 Infinium (Head)
Bugera 412 (Cabinet)
Peavey VTX Classic 212 (Combo)
Laney Mini-ST Lionheart Practice Amp

I use YouTube Music when I'm driving, I keep a good 700+ song randomized Playlist download in high quality so I don't get that terrible compression on high hats and cymbals and bass sounds like more than a rumble or bad plugin.

But if I'm home and chilling or cleaning or anything, we're listening to some vinyl. I just started collecting a few years ago, most of my collection has come from flea markets, yard sales, and peddlers malls. But I have bought a few new pressings.

Might do a "what I listened to this week" post and put up some pics of the albums I've listened to recently, otherwise it'd take waaaaay too much time and space to post the whole collection.
20210507_124143.jpg
20210507_124148.jpg
~Formerly LookingDownTheCross~
slowhand84
Reactions:

LancerTheGreat wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:47 pm I use YouTube Music when I'm driving, I keep a good 700+ song randomized Playlist download in high quality so I don't get that terrible compression on high hats and cymbals and bass sounds like more than a rumble or bad plugin.

But if I'm home and chilling or cleaning or anything, we're listening to some vinyl. I just started collecting a few years ago, most of my collection has come from flea markets, yard sales, and peddlers malls. But I have bought a few new pressings.

Might do a "what I listened to this week" post and put up some pics of the albums I've listened to recently, otherwise it'd take waaaaay too much time and space to post the whole collection.

20210507_124143.jpg
20210507_124148.jpg
That’d be awesome! I’ll join you, since I am now working from home permanently I’m spinning vinyl every day so there’ll be plenty to share.
LancerTheGreat
Reactions:
Gearlist: -Guitars-
Gibson Dave Mustaine Flying V EXP
ESP LTD DV8R Dave Mustaine Signature Model
ESP LTD V401DX
Agile AL3100
Kit Explorer
Jackson JS32RR
TWANG Tele
Samick Strat
Firefly Semi-Hollow Tele
Globe Dove Copy

-Amps-
Orange OR-15 (Head)
EVH 112 (Cabinet)
Bugera 1960 Infinium (Head)
Bugera 412 (Cabinet)
Peavey VTX Classic 212 (Combo)
Laney Mini-ST Lionheart Practice Amp

slowhand84 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:30 pm That’d be awesome! I’ll join you, since I am now working from home permanently I’m spinning vinyl every day so there’ll be plenty to share.
Awesome! We can probably keep this bad boy as bumped as the workbench thread lol.

I'm currently "house-husbanding" so almost the same boat too lol
~Formerly LookingDownTheCross~
slowhand84
Reactions:

LancerTheGreat wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:15 pm
slowhand84 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:30 pm That’d be awesome! I’ll join you, since I am now working from home permanently I’m spinning vinyl every day so there’ll be plenty to share.
Awesome! We can probably keep this bad boy as bumped as the workbench thread lol.

I'm currently "house-husbanding" so almost the same boat too lol
I'm in! Currently rocking this album by an amazing UK band called Elbow (largely unknown in the US, for some reason)...killer band and even better live performers.

Partscaster
Reactions:

I have collected about 200 rock albums in my youth, plus about 100 classical albums recently from my fathers collection, not pictured.

My best 2 collectables are

1) Axis:Bold As Love first edition that I picked up in the 80's. It has the Reprise logo in 3 colors, which ended around 1968.
2) a Beatles Collection I got in the 80's, every US album (14) on thick Japanese vinyl. Some discs have never been played, others only a few times after recording onto cassette and now have cd's. I now have a new turntable after many years and all albums are 'playable.

Beatles collection is the blue box, in left side of cubby.
DSCN2627.jpeg
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

You folks that are old enough to remember the 60's and 70's and played back then remember how hard it was to learn a new song from LP's and Tape because the speed of the capstan determined the sound of the notes a loose belt would slow it down and the sound would go flat or a motor could speed it up and it would go sharp so you'd try to learn a new song and tune your guitar up or down to match the album then when you went to rehearsal you had to decide where to play it because everyone's unit would operate at a different speed and everyone woud argue that theirs was right . The younger guys and girls today with digital music get accurate sound to follow as well as infinite amount of free instructional tools.
I have to say to my ears vinyl has sound reproduction that through a good system cannot be beat Simply said the sound from a turntable is the ultimate listening experience.
slowhand84
Reactions:

redman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:49 pm You folks that are old enough to remember the 60's and 70's and played back then remember how hard it was to learn a new song from LP's and Tape because the speed of the capstan determined the sound of the notes a loose belt would slow it down and the sound would go flat or a motor could speed it up and it would go sharp so you'd try to learn a new song and tune your guitar up or down to match the album then when you went to rehearsal you had to decide where to play it because everyone's unit would operate at a different speed and everyone woud argue that theirs was right . The younger guys and girls today with digital music get accurate sound to follow as well as infinite amount of free instructional tools.
I have to say to my ears vinyl has sound reproduction that through a good system cannot be beat Simply said the sound from a turntable is the ultimate listening experience.
I agree, just in terms of engineering CDs CAN sound just as good but it depends on the system and you don't really get the same tactile experience...the big liner notes, large cover art, etc. is a lot of fun to pour over while you listen to the record so I also think vinyl is kinda the ultimate experience. I also enjoy the fact that with vinyl you can't really skip tracks (not without putting in some effort anyway) so it tends to make you listen to the album as a whole...which is how many of these albums were really meant to be enjoyed when they were created.

That said I'm not one of those people who believes that other formats are inferior, it's just my favorite. Even HQ digital files through a good system will sound fantastic...but I'll choose vinyl every time.
zisme
Reactions:

Spinning some Dino Jr. today! Farm on red wine vinyl

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

frogs love to eat flies,
the devil's name, Beelzebub, lord of the flies
evil spirits love to spiritually feed upon those whom Beelzebub rules

joined AGF March 20, 2013